The next gig you're going to

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Re: The next gig you're going to

Post by neathiron »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:49 pm That's one band I've never given a chance. I've got a limited edition box set of theirs "Hordes of Chaos" which has sat unplayed for ages. Might have to give it a go.
Same here, did buy the 'Flag Of Hate' ep when it came out around the time I was getting into thrash but think I swapped it with a mate a few years later for the Anthrax 'Madhouse' 12" single. Also got 'Pleasure To Kill' recorded on cassette here somewhere but just one of those bands I never properly gave a chance. I was more into the melodic thrash singers and Mille Petrozza didn't fall into that category for me unfortunately. No doubting their influence on the European thrash scene though.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Just booked tix for;-

Let’s Rock in Southampton on 8 July - Soft Cell, Heaven 17, The Farm, Blancmange, Boomtowm Rats, Neville Staple … a real 80s fest

Victorious in Southsea on the Saturday of the August Bank Hols - Kasabian, Alt-J, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Inspiral Carpets amongst others.
carlokilkennie
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by carlokilkennie »

Manchester Punk Festival this weekend.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:46 am Just booked tix for;-

Let’s Rock in Southampton on 8 July - Soft Cell, Heaven 17, The Farm, Blancmange, Boomtowm Rats, Neville Staple … a real 80s fest

Victorious in Southsea on the Saturday of the August Bank Hols - Kasabian, Alt-J, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Inspiral Carpets amongst others.
I've only been to Victorious once - about five years ago. Really enjoyed it. Very relaxed. All in one place. Easy to get around. Easy to get food ad a pint. At my age, these things count. :)

We still have a Victorious FB group and one of the lads said this year's line up wasn't great. Looking at what you've posted there's a couple of bands there I would love to see. Enjoy it when it happens.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

I’ve probably been to at least one day of most of the Victorious festivals - as you say, it is pretty easy to navigate and to get to as well. There are some really good smaller stages, such as the world music one and some of the ones with local acts. Also, it’s slightly bizarre watching bands with huge ferries sailing past!!

I have booked Saturday tickets this year and there were a few bands on the other two days that I would go and see but not really enough to justify the ticket prices … may be tempted by Friday though.
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Mods May Day
Saturday 6th May
Islington Assembly hall
carlokilkennie
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by carlokilkennie »

16 April Snuff. The Horn St Albans
21 April Pete Bentham And The Dinner Ladies. Hope And Anchor
23 April Maid Of Ace. Boston Music Room
30 April Bar Stool Preachers. The Underworld
11 May The Kunts. New Cross Inn
21 May Bad Cop Bad Cop. The Underworld
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

The Beat - this Friday, Sub89 Reading
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1642 likes

Post by last.caress »

Some day.

Some day.

Some day.

Dominion.

Some say prayers.

(Some say prayers)

I say mine.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Got tickets for New Order in September at the O2.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Sabaton / Babymetal / Lordi tonight at Wembley Arena.

Big Babymetal fan, and I've just listened to their new album for the first time and initial impressions are ... it's ****ing awful. :-(

They've always had a tendency to veer towards ballads, and particularly more recently to incorporate other styles, while still remaining basically kawaii metal, but this is a mix of soft rock, shitty r&b (ie Usher r&b not Dr Feelgood) and perilously close to eurovision territory. Maybe it will grow on me later, but at the moment ...!
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

pablo jaye wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:46 pm The Beat - this Friday, Sub89 Reading
Not bad for a band with 0/6 of the original members!! They were really tight, Rankin’ Jr is a good front man and the saxophonist was superb … plus a good setlist.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Just booked A Winged Victory for the Sullen for next month at the Barbican
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

last.caress wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:28 am Some day.

Some day.

Some day.

Dominion.

Some say prayers.

(Some say prayers)

I say mine.
I have loved SOM for many years but have never seen them live. I'm kind of interested in the Bristol gig, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Andrew Eldritch's voice is shot to pieces these days and they are disappointing live.

Is there any truth in these rumours?
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Well, Babymetal were better than i had feared, they basically played a greatest hits set, with 2 crappy ballady songs from the new album in the middle of their set.

I was wildly unimpressed with Lordi and Sabaton
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1223 likes
Total likes: 1642 likes

Post by last.caress »

southbrishammer wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:36 pm I'm sure I read somewhere that Andrew Eldritch's voice is shot to pieces these days and they are disappointing live.

Is there any truth in these rumours?
No idea mate, I haven't seen them since they supported Depeche Mode at Crystal Palace in 1993, and not at one of their own gigs since the Birmingham NEC in 1992 (I've still got the tour shirt for that one and I'm now on a diet to try to fit back into it!). I'm going for the pageantry of it all as much as anything else. I've ordered a bunch of cheap metal necklaces and bangles from Amazon, and a bottle of patchouli oil, and I'm nicking mrs.caress' black nail varnish for the evening. And if I can reclaim the lost art of wandering around in the dark whilst wearing mirror-lens aviator shades, I'll be wearing those too. Hey now, hey now, now! Sing this corrosion to me! :)
Kludgehammer wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:57 pm I was wildly unimpressed with... Sabaton
My son keeps nagging me to listen to them but I had a tiny look at them on YouTube and they sounded ****ing rubbish so I haven't given them a proper go yet.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:46 am My son keeps nagging me to listen to [Sabaton] but I had a tiny look at them on YouTube and they sounded ****ing rubbish so I haven't given them a proper go yet.
I thought a lot of the songs were really samey, and it was all a bit mock-portentous and sort of prog metal. About the best that I can say of them is that the longer the show went on, the better Lordi seemed in retrospect.

All in all, I wish I'd stuck to my original plan and gone to see Shonen Knife - I gave the ticket to a mate and he said they were really good.
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Shonen Knife played in Reading this week too - wish I’d gone!!
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

The wonderful Dave Woodcock & the Fixtures at the Venue, Wesctliff tonight - for his album launch (which is a mighty fine album too)
lewisham-mer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by lewisham-mer »

last.caress wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:28 am Some day.

Some day.

Some day.

Dominion.

Some say prayers.

(Some say prayers)

I say mine.

Booked to go on September 23

Last time I saw them was at Reading in 1991… lots of goths in wedding dresses, black DMs and faces dipped in Homepride.