Books you are reading

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: Books you are reading

Post by smuts »

Mick Herron's Slow Horses books. Very good so far.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Seinfeld: The Official Cookbook by Julie Tremaine and Brendan Kirby

Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Jessica Au ~ Cold Enough For Snow

A beautiful and contemplative short novel about an Australian woman and her Chinese mother, and a collection of memories and thoughts that spin off from a trip to Japan.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Fifth re read of 'The Passenger'.... if you're new to CMcC, don't start with this!
You don't read his work as such, you sort of experience it. Parts of it are more akin to an acid trip, but there are lyrical passages that carry you further than any poetry could hope to.
Life affirming.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Elric of Melnibone - The Ruby Throne
Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer »

Rupert Thomson - The Book Of Revelation

The Insult is still Thomson's best book, but this is one of his typical deconstructed thrillera, a book which starts off as one thing and then becomes something rather different. I have some issues with it, but he's an interesting writer.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Just finished the new Knausgård triology. It starts with this one ->

Best of the lot. The second book, The Wolves of Eternity is a tad too drawn out, while the third is an interesting twist but only if you've read the first book.
Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer »

Gwendoline Riley ~ First Love

Just like My Phantoms, this is a brilliantly written portrait of dysfunctional relationships and everyday lives. The dialogue is some of the best I've ever read, such a grippingly mundane book.
Walt Longmire
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Walt Longmire »

Tenbury wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:32 pm Fifth re read of 'The Passenger'.... if you're new to CMcC, don't start with this!
You don't read his work as such, you sort of experience it. Parts of it are more akin to an acid trip, but there are lyrical passages that carry you further than any poetry could hope to.
Life affirming.
As Martin Amis said, 'There are some writers you can't just read, you have to re-read,' and McCarthy is one of those for sure.
'The Passenger' is a unique book but I've just finished a first read of Stella Maris, the 'sister book' and found parts of it almost un-readable. I'm not sure it adds much to our understanding of The Passenger but I'll certainly re-visit it.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Rob Halford’s auto. Was never much of a Priest fan, but his book’s a hoot. Seems like a top bloke, and like the rest of that Black Country mob, not one to take himself seriously.
Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer »

Yvonne Adhiambro Uwuor ~ Dust

I read this because my daughter is doing it on her English course. As a debut novel, it's very ambitious and although the results are a bit mixed, overall I liked it. To get the negatives over with, at nearly 400 pages long, the book does have issues with pacing and plot development, and there are aspects of the writing style that didn't appeal to me(Lots of noun phrases. Sentences without verbs. One after the other. Like this.). But, the modern history of Kenya and the turmoil the people experienced in the 50s, late 60s and early 2000s, is made human and at times, riveting.
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Sherlock Holmes V's Cthulhu by Lois H Gresh A truly Dreadful read. Very unsatisfying. It begins well, with a plot about a murderous machine that can't be killed or turned off and then deteriorates into a mish mash of personal anecdotes that has only a tenuious connection with the plot. People pop up and vanish (or are killed) at random ttimes. The murderous machine is never really resolved, the hint on the books jacket that Holmes wil team up with Moriarty never happens, Cthluhu is mentioned about 4 times in the bood (Spoiler alert: Dagon is the big bad baddy here)

Furthermore, Holmes, who is a firm believer in logic, sees things horrific things that are truly illogical ( crab-like men who evicerate a person in an instant, who appear out of nowhere ater a ceremony to invove Dagon) but remains convinced there is a logical reason for them - but he hasn't worked it out yet!

THis book is a mish mash of ideas that have no real resolution. The initially interesting plot meanders all over the shop, there is a lot of padding and the climax is as rueful as it is incomplete.

I'll never read one of Gresh's books again. I usually collect books that i read - this book has gone straight in the pile for the charity shop., it's that bad.
WHU Independent

ED Mcbain Ommnibus 3 in 1 - The Pusher, King's Ransom and Money, Money Money.

Im my youth I was a massive Ed Mcbain fan. In my time I've probably read 99% of his output (as Mcbain) and I just happend to see this book in a charity shop.

After reading the book, it is clear that his writing still stands up today. Taut plotlines, colourful descripive scenes and settings, individual characters - the 87Th precinct (where he posits these books) is a beleivable, breathing, living area.

The Pusher is one of his early novels and its one of his best. Drugs, murders and other crimes abound, yet they are not your "normal" crimes. It rattles along and you are kept wondering "What really happend" here until the last chapter. This story is real page turner.

King's Ransom is when Mcbain was mid career as an 87th Precinct author. This book is more unsatifactory. It is clear that Mcbain is experimenting with new styles of writing here, and it doesn't really work. A kidnapping goes wrong and there is a lot of interaction between the good criminal v bad criminal here. The 87th precinct staff take a back seat here and the plot also concentrates on thekidnappers v the Kidnap victims. Not a bad book, but not Mcbain's best.

Money Money Money sees Mcbain back on form near the end of this 87th Precinct career. A very complex plot, written over 20 years ago, which includes details of terrorists (and their activitioes) that was to become very true later on). Mcbain is back at his atmospheric best, writing engaging, entertaining and enthralling plots that get resolved in an unusual fashion.

What makes this book for me is Mcbain's "afterwords." The most revealing is that King's Ransom (which covers Terrorism, money laundering, Suicide bombings and general terrorist tactics) was due to be released on the 6/11/2001 and a massive book lauch, including a country wide tour was planned for the next up and coming days. Obviously 9/11 then happened and the book was put on hold for a few years before it was re-released. It goes to show how Mcbain was almost always one step ahead of the game when it comes to crime - in whatever form it may take.

I loved all there books and will be searching for more.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Star Trek Cookbook by Ethan Phillips and William J. Birnes

Spammy The Vee
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Spammy The Vee »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:21 pm ED Mcbain Ommnibus 3 in 1 - The Pusher, King's Ransom and Money, Money Money.

Im my youth I was a massive Ed Mcbain fan. In my time I've probably read 99% of his output (as Mcbain) and I just happend to see this book in

After reading the book, it is clear that his writing still stands up today. Taut plotlines, colourful descripive scenes and settings, individual characters - the 87Th precinct (where he posits these books) is a beleivable, breathing, living area.
WHU I, thought you'd like to know Ian Dury was a big Ed McBain fan. I've read a few 87th Precinct novels over the years, and alwayd found them worth the read !
WHU Independent

Spammy The Vee wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:55 pm WHU I, thought you'd like to know Ian Dury was a big Ed McBain fan. I've read a few 87th Precinct novels over the years, and alwayd found them worth the read !
Cheers Spammy - didn't know that at all.

Just finished Belariaus Cawl a warhammer 40k book. Thid is a must read for all serious 40K fans. It shows how Cawl became the person he is and how he obtained the genius mentality and abilioty to create the Primaris marines and all their weponary. And it sets off a series of events that will effect the Necrons forever more.

I like Cawl's character (droll, self assured genius, obtuse, sercastic teasing and tormenting) and you can see there is something about him that has saved Mankinds future. But then.... there is something is very dodgy about him - and Apharius Prime is just one big example.)

Not written particularly well, with an over use of flashbacks and mental regression, it still delivers the goods, letting the reader learn a considerable amount about Cawl and his machinations. If you are interested in the background of 40K, you should read this book.
Dayinthelife
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Dayinthelife »

Just finished a book called A Heart That Works by comedian Rob Delaney.

It is about the death of Robs son Henry. Was diagnosed with a brain tumor at 11 months, and passed away at just over 2 years old.

Heart breaking book, and broke me for a couple days after finishing it. A book that reminds you how cruel the world can be sometimes. The last 3 chapters are especially sad, cruel and sweet as well. My youngest is only 17 months old now, and the mental images I have from this book make it unforgettable.
Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer »

Laurent Mauvignier ~ The Birthday Party

Described by Jon McGregor as a 'slow-motion thriller', this is a 24-hour home invasion story set in rural France, stretched out over page-long internal monologues and long, interlocking sentences. You're never quite where the action is, always with characters listening to half-heard conversations through doors, imagining what's about to happen or recalling what just took place. It reminded me of Ian McEwan's Saturday. Quite good.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Not as well written as thinking slow/fast, still worth your time