The KUMB Ancient History Corner

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Re: The KUMB Ancient History Corner

Post by woodgreenspur »

Tenbury wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:27 pm Used to live just up the road (at Tresowes). Marazion beach is really good, but will be heaving in June. The King's Arms is decent.
[Back up towards Helston, do a right at Rosudgeon follow the track down to Prussia Cove..... genuine Cornwall, smugglers /etc..]
Cheers for the info,much appreciated 👍
Not really a beach person,so that won't bother me too much. Just want a look round the island, local landmarks,churches etc and try a few local pubs.
The real Cornwall is what I am looking for
Thanks again
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

woodgreenspur wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:54 am The real Cornwall is what I am looking for
Try The Swordfish in Newlyn to meet some real Cornish folk from way back. I'm talking Neanderthals.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 345 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

vietnammer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:31 pm Try The Swordfish in Newlyn to meet some real Cornish folk from way back. I'm talking Neanderthals.
My Dad lived in Mousehole for the last 30 years of his life, just down the road from Newlyn. The Swordfish has a reputation, even amongst locals for being a place to be avoided like the plague.

A bit further towards Mousehole is the Fisherman' Arms, a decent local boozer.Dad was a regular there...
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

Mousehole's (pronounced something like /mauzl/ ?) beautiful isn't it!. Couldn't be more different to Newlyn. Some of them fishin' folk aren't exactly 'genteel'. If there are any left.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Drove past a Picts Lane on the A272 today; a most revivifying trip to Worthing
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:42 pm Drove past a Picts Lane on the A272 today; a most revivifying trip to Worthing

I remember driving past Piggs Corner in Grays -
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

vietnammer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:21 am Mousehole's (pronounced something like /mauzl/ ?) beautiful isn't it!. Couldn't be more different to Newlyn. Some of them fishin' folk aren't exactly 'genteel'. If there are any left.
Yep.
The Penlee Lifeboat disaster was the beginning of the end for local fishermen. The heart was ripped out of the village (my parents knew all 8 of the men who died) and it never really recovered. The money raised for the families was immense and helped them but also caused jealousies and rancour in some quarters. It also put Mousehole on the map and property prices went through the roof, which meant that local kids growing up had to leave the village i fthey wanted to buy a place. The houses were gradually bought by "Foreigners" (anyone outside the village) for holiday homes or places to retire to.
Money, as usual ruined everything.
The Ship Inn used to be a local pub, with a handful of tourists and was very lively when the fishermen came ashore to spend their wages. Now it's mainly tourists, even on Tom Bawcock's eve (23rd of December). The fishermen are all based in Newlyn now, as is the lifeboat.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

Reminded me of a few things there Tolouse. Tom Bawcock's eve, is that to do with Starry Gazey pie?
I assumed Mousehole had always been 'posh'. That lifeboat disaster was tragic.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

vietnammer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:17 am Reminded me of a few things there Tolouse. Tom Bawcock's eve, is that to do with Starry Gazey pie?
I assumed Mousehole had always been 'posh'. That lifeboat disaster was tragic.
Yep, seven sorts of fish with a mashed potato lid(heads and tails sticking out of the mash, hence starrey gazey): the fish seem to be looking up from the pie to the heavens

A merry place you may believe
is Mousehole on Tom Bawcock's eve.

Please check this out if you've forgotten the sacrifice of these real heroes:Doing this for free because not doing it would be unthinkable: Taking a little wooden boat out in near-hurricane force winds and 60/70-foot seas smashing into jagged granite cliffs. The coxwain knew what he was doing when he refused to take out 2 men from the same family..
The recording of the conversation between the lifeboat and the Falmouth coastguard when the lifeboat stops answering at about 39 minutes is the most heartbreaking thing I've ever heard and makes me sob every time...
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

Funny this should come up this week:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... om-tragedy
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

The Old Man of Storr

The Picts can take a hike , the BBC say that the Welsh are Britain's most ancient folk - and I believe the BBC .

And I'll fight any Pict that disagrees with me .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18489735
stouffer
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by stouffer »

Ah,Welsh.An Old English word meaning foreigner.
northiron
Has liked: 121 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by northiron »

stouffer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:39 pm Ah,Welsh.An Old English word meaning foreigner.
It's used to describe speakers of both Celtic and Latin languages - foreign to the speakers of Germanic languages such as old English. The Swiss Germans still refer to the French speaking Swiss as "Welsch".
The Old Man of Storr

stouffer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:39 pm Ah,Welsh.An Old English word meaning foreigner.

As Northiron says - Old English , my arse - it was old Germanic you lot spoke and you had the cheek to put your towels out on our deckchairs and call us ' Foreigners ' .
stouffer

Post by stouffer »

It also meant slave!
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 562 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Walloon, Wallachia and many other place names share the same root.

And while we're on etymological matters...

Pretani was the Brittonic (P-Celtic) term for The Picts - The Painted Ones.
This became Prydyn in Old Welsh.
The Greek geographer Pytheas first referred to all Britons as Pretanoí
Which became latinised by the Romans to Britanni.

And so the given name for the huddle of islands we call home. It was named after the Picts.

Interestingly Pretani became Qritani in Goidelic (Q-Celtic) which corrupted over time to Cruthin, and there was a ancient tribe inhabiting Ulster called Cruthin, living in parts of the present-day counties of Antrim, Down and Londonderry.
The Old Man of Storr

A few years back we had to build a new Cemetery in the south of Skye as the cemetery next to the Church was getting full and the crofter who owns the fields next to the church refused to release / sell them for use as a burial ground so now we have to drive/walk the mile down the road from the church to the new cemetery .

Anyway , we were down at the old cemetery yesterday putting flowers on the grave of a young boy who died aged 9 - I was one of the pall bearers - he'd have been 37 yesterday , the son of a friend of ours .

Driving past the new cemetery I noticed a new sign had been erected which read ' Cemetery - Cladh ' .

The Welsh for ' Bury / Inter ' is ' Cladd ' .

This got me wondering ' Who decided to give this ancient word for cemetery ' Cladd / Cladh ' , who copied who and at what point was it written down in their various languages ?
stouffer

Post by stouffer »

There's an interesting post popped up on my Facebook from a site called Basildon Heritage.
It shows a map of Basildon and Thurrock from 1087,the year of the Domesday Book,showing the local place names as they were then.
It would appear that Basildon was just a small part of Barstable.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

stouffer wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:40 am Basildon Heritage... It shows a map of Basildon and Thurrock from 1087, the year of the Domesday Book
Yes indeed, 1087 also being the last time anybody in Basildon got a doctor's appointment in under four weeks, and also the last time a pothole was fixed anywhere within the district. Big year for the town. :newthumb: :)