What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

A Town Called Malice

Over the last couple of nights we’ve watched the first three episodes of this crime drama entitled, I Want to Know What Love Is , Daddy Cool and Two Tribes which tells you just how 1980’s this is and it is unashamedly so.
The soundtrack, the fashion, the language, the cars, it absolutely oozes ‘80s and I bloody love it. Even Paul Weller pops up in an opening scene cameo and Martha Plimpton of Goonies fame is a hoot as foul mouthed Mint Ma Lord.
Don’t take it too seriously, sit back and enjoy.
Last edited by Chicken Run Supreme on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Top Gun

An 80’s staple. It looks great, it sounds great, and is still a lot of fun. Some daft, often cheesy dialogue but the action sequences make up for any of that.

Top Gun Maverick

… and of course the sequel.
The superior sequel. It’s truly is fantastic! It lives up to expectations and then some. Great casting too.
The final act is just superb, and extremely gratifying. Absolute banger.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:49 am A Town Called Malice

Over the last couple of nights we’ve watched the first three episodes of this crime drama entitled, I Want to Know What Love Is , Daddy Cool and Two Tribes which tells you just how 1980’s this is and it is unashamedly so.
The soundtrack, the fashion, the language, the cars, it absolves oozes ‘80s and I bloody love it. Even Paul Weller pops up in an opening scene cameo and Martha Plimpton of Goonies fame is a hoot as foul mouthed Mint Ma Lord.
Don’t take it too seriously, sit back and enjoy.
I bing-watched this recently -

I absolutely LOVED it .
The Old Man of Storr

Just watched Red Lights [ 2012 ] - Sigourney Weaver - Robert De Niro - Cillian Murphy

Psychologist Margaret Matheson and her assistant study paranormal activity, which leads them to investigate a world-renowned psychic who has resurfaced years after his toughest critic mysteriously passed away.

Passed the time - 7/10

Now watching ' Old ] [ 2021 ] - Gael Garcia Gernal - Vicky Krieps - Rufus Sewell

A vacationing family discovers that the secluded beach where they're relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly, reducing their entire lives into a single day.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Beyond Paradise followed by The Cleaner on BBC1, thoroughly enjoyed both.
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:00 pm Beyond Paradise followed by The Cleaner on BBC1, thoroughly enjoyed both.
Loving Beyond Paradise, not so sure about The Cleaner, I've struggled with that although there were some funny bits last night.

iplayer Nighty Night
Watched another instalment of this,it's still as excruciatingly difficult to watch as it ever was but superbly comic at the same time, I really can only manage one episode in any sitting though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MH and OFT

big thumbs up last night for

Beyond Paradise

we all agree it's quality telly in context.

however last night showed its "more serious side" and I couldn't help feel for folks like Martha and Humphrey in real life.....and there must be loads and loads.

but I didn't feel "preached to" or that I needed it in the show "to be more PC."

it's been a bit of an ongoing issue throughout the whole series so I didn't feel it got chucked in to balance out things. that's where Silent Witness got it completely wrong imvho. they seemed to (to me at least) they went through the whole gamut of ticking every box available that really didn't appear to be involved in the series or that episode specifically. I didn't however think that Clarissa Mullery was in there for that. she got excepted well and then it seemed as though the producers went "hmm, let's see what else we can chuck in just for grins."

I digress.

I'm REALLY going to miss Friday nights when this season of B P finishes. I haven't seen if they're renewing and if any of you have seen anything, please let me know. I'\d have to feel they won't leave it at one series. has it been well received in general in Blighty ?
OFT

Post by OFT »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:27 pm MH and OFT

big thumbs up last night for

Beyond Paradise

we all agree it's quality telly in context.

however last night showed its "more serious side" and I couldn't help feel for folks like Martha and Humphrey in real life.....and there must be loads and loads.

but I didn't feel "preached to" or that I needed it in the show "to be more PC."
it's been a bit of an ongoing issue throughout the whole series so I didn't feel it got chucked in to balance out things.
I'm REALLY going to miss Friday nights when this season of B P finishes. I haven't seen if they're renewing and if any of you have seen anything, please let me know. I'\d have to feel they won't leave it at one series. has it been well received in general in Blighty ?
:thup:
Superb balance of 'serious drama' and the whimsical last night, with young 'PC Hartford' and Office support 'Margo' (played by the wonderful Felicity Montagu. with Alan Partridge, Nighty Night, Doc Martin among her many TV appearances) both great.

regarding series 2. I've read that the writer is working on it but it's yet to be commissioned.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Rabbit Hole episode 2. Complete bonkers fun.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

The Tetris movie. Superb.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Damien Lewis - Spy Wars History.

I binged watched all 8 episodes. Fantastic stuff. If you are interested in spys, MI5, MI6 the KGB or anthing spy related, this is for you.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1154 likes
Total likes: 897 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Magpie Murders on BBC1 - we did the first few episodes on iplayer - I quite liked the idea of having a real world story and the authors novel story running in tandem plus the fact at times the lines were blurred and also the fact the same actors played characters in both. Had to stop as it was getting late and you really need to be fully awake to appreciate such things and not get confused!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

few of us seem to have similar tastes so I'm going to give this one a go

:thup:
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Ant & Decs Saturday night takeaway, great Saturday evening entertainment hosted by two upcoming northerners who should be all over the tv schedules, a great bit featuring everyone’s favourite camp Essex boy-Rylan.

Earlier on I watched Donnie Brasco, a tired old gangster movie.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Metal Hammer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:26 am Magpie Murders on BBC1 - we did the first few episodes on iplayer - I quite liked the idea of having a real world story and the authors novel story running in tandem plus the fact at times the lines were blurred and also the fact the same actors played characters in both. Had to stop as it was getting late and you really need to be fully awake to appreciate such things and not get confused!
Yes, we watched this and I also struggled to 'keep up', Had a full day working with No.2 son on his workshop project and was too tired to follow it. Her OFTness however, she can watch these things with one eye and message her mates with the other and still never miss a beat, she really liked it.

I shall stick with it though, not least of all because the wonderful Lesley Manville is in it, and when I say 'wonderful' .........'phew' :winker:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Seven episodes in to Severance.
It's well acted and looks lovely (as all Apple stuff tends to be) but I'm still not feeling it.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

alf git wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:03 am Seven episodes in to Severance.
It's well acted and looks lovely (as all Apple stuff tends to be) but I'm still not feeling it.
We are not all the same, it for me was just wonderful. I love the weirdness, the not knowing what it is or where it’s going. It is one of the best things I’ve ever watched and I hope season 2 is as good (I wouldn’t have been disappointed if they left it at one to be honest, near TV perfection) all IMVHO of course.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Ep4 Blue Lights.

Love this show.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by old fart »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:32 am Ep4 Blue Lights.

Love this show.
Best police procedural since No Offence , absolutely brilliant
The Old Man of Storr

Watched 10 minutes of Jim Cummings' Thunder Road [ 2018 ] last night while Jen was getting dinner together - looked different and will return to it once I get a couple of hours to myself -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7738450/

This led to me to another Jim Cummings film ....

The Wolf Of Snow Hollow [ 2020 ] -

Might buy this one from Amazon Prime , looks intriguing , a kind of American Werewolf meets Fargo .

Anyone seen it ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11140488/