What are you playing right now?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 868 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Has Crazy Taxi held up well? What a game that was at the time.

I've got about half way through Fallen Order now. The visuals are great and the light saber is quite fun, but it feels rather repetitive.

Only cost £3.49 so no complaints, but would have been gutted if I paid full price for it on release.

Once my GFN month trial runs out, I'll probably commit to a 6 month sub. Decent setup really and not too dissimilar to Stadia (once you link your Steam/Ubi accounts).

This might mean finally giving up on Raid. Two years in and reached that end game stage where you just get done by whales spending thousands. F2p wise, not much more I can do.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Resident Evil 4 remake.

I’ve only completed Chapter 1 but what an experience so far. Everything from this remake is perfectly paired with the same engine that ran the RE2 & 3 remakes, except Resident Evil 4 is arguably the granddaddy of first person action titles (obviously not the first but brought the third person genre to a new level). There would be no Dead Space or Gears of War if not for the classic original from 2005.
I also own a pair of Pulse 3D headphones for my PS5 which heightens the atmosphere two-fold.
Early days yes, but as someone who’s owned and played 4 other versions (GameCube, PS2, Wii and Xbox 360) you just know it’s only going to get better.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

To top off the weekend we played more Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast), Bubble Bobble (Arcade), Gigawing (Dreamcast), Vandal Hearts (PS1), Kirby: The Crystal Shards (N64), Tomb Raider (PS1), Arabian Magic (Arcade), and Boogie Wings (Arcade)
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Wonderboy
Shinobi
Side Arms
Vigilante
Tetris
Out Run
Thunderblade
Golden Axe

They don't make 'em like they used to.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:38 amThey don't make 'em like they used to.
Just dug out my old hacked PSP so I'm going to install retroarch on there too. Sadly it's only really suitable for Arcade, Megadrive and SNES games (and obviously PSP games). It might be able to play PS1 games - not sure.

I'd love a Retroid Pocket 3+ but even at £160 it's way out of my price range at the moment. It can effectively play the whole PS1, N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast catalogue, and can also play a large amount of PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and Switch games. Being on an Android OS, you also have all the better android games to play too. It has a pretty decent chip, theoretically more capable than the Nintendo Switch cpu. Looks like the Retroid flip is being released any time now too for a more DS style handheld - same chip as the 3+.

I'm currently using the Nvidia shield which is also great - but I can only get on it when nobody else is using the TV (which means not very often). I was managing to upscale PS1 games to 4x their native resolution and applying various graphics enhancements (using duckstation). It worked really well on the 3d games - they looked far better than they did on the original PS.

I just wish I could reduce the display size for the older games (MAME, SNES, etc) as they don't look great on a 55" screen (giant pixels). It does look a little better with the crt filter applied. I imagine they'd look far better on a handheld. On a PC I usually just reduce the window size until it looks good.
Last edited by Burnley Hammer on Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chelmsfordhammer91

I'm really enjoying getting back into some form of gaming. GFN is a great setup for me as I can only play games when I find spells during my working day.

I bought Sleeping Dogs for £2.50, seems pretty decent so far. An Oriental GTA but not as varied/massive.

I've tried avoiding newer, pricier titles as my last proper gaming days were back when Fallout New Vegas and RDR1 came out over a decade ago.

My thinking is if I start with cheap good games from 8 or so years ago I am still impressed by the graphics and gameplay then can work my way to newer titles.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:41 pm I just wish I could reduce the display size for the older games (MAME, SNES, etc) as they don't look great on a 55" screen (giant pixels). It does look a little better with the crt filter applied. I imagine they'd look far better on a handheld. On a PC I usually just reduce the window size until it looks good.
Upscaled PS1, PS2 & Dreamcast titles, with improved frame rates, look amazingly fresh on a big telly, especially when you consider there’s no other significant changes being made to texture fidelity or other image resolution.
chelmsfordhammer91

I sense I'm near the end of Jedi Fallen Order.

I have very little knowledge of Star Wars, having only watched the clone wars ages ago.

I got a bit disappointed when I was on some mission to save the Wookies. I got them mixed up in my head with those Ewok things so a bit gutted they didn't make an appearance.

The story in this game has been really good. Even for someone who doesn't know the lore, it mostly made sense. The gameplay was pretty decent too and not quite bored yet of all the lightsaber stuff.

The puzzles were a bit easy though, apart from one with these giant spheres that I ended up googling.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:08 pmI got a bit disappointed when I was on some mission to save the Wookies. I got them mixed up in my head with those Ewok things
Easy to confuse, CH... one's about three feet tall, the other seven. :grin:
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:08 pmgutted they didn't make an appearance
I suspect this might be the first time in history anyone lamented the absence of Ewoks from Star Wars.
chelmsfordhammer91

dasnutnock3 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:12 pm I suspect this might be the first time in history anyone lamented the absence of Ewoks from Star Wars.
I've just read a bit about them. Yeah it makes sense why proper fans are likely to dislike them.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

The entire galaxy - full of hard bounty hunters, sturdy aliens and a whole school of Jedi's couldn't get a hand on the Empire, but a load of midget teddy bears from a forest were able duff them up with booby traps made of wood and rope?

Nah, drop me out. Furry little c****.
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

playing DLC for Powerwasher Simulator, Lonely Downhill and Forza Horizon 5. Also playing a bit of Forgotten City on PS
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I looked at Everspace 2 last night. "Diablo is space" say all the punters and I was tempted to buy it for the £45.00 they want for it. But then i see they had a demo free so i DL that and played it for an hour consequently saving myself 45 sovs in the process.

Diablo in space it is not. A very simple and linear space combat sim is what this game is. And not worth 45 sovs either.

I dodged a bullet there.

Also can't get into Cyberpunk 2020. I've tried but it's not for me I fear.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Just finished the Shadowbringers expansion of Final Fantasy 14. I can safely say it's some of the best writing I've come across in a MMORPG and in Emet-Selch one of the best written and voice acted villains I've come across.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Metal Hammer wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:24 pm Just finished the Shadowbringers expansion of Final Fantasy 14. I can safely say it's some of the best writing I've come across in a MMORPG and in Emet-Selch one of the best written and voice acted villains I've come across.
Never played it despite being a big fan of the game series. I just ordered a Special Edition of Cuphead on the Switch from Japan just because it has artwork from the original FF cover artist. I fully intend to never open it and keep it as a sealed collector's edition.

Back on topic, the job system in that game just seems like a grind to me which is common in Asian MMOs.

Ever tried Black Desert? Damn.

Also back on Topic. I'm playing Luigi's Mansion the 3DS release, fun game. I heard the second one is better though.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1153 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Mullhull wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:22 am Back on topic, the job system in that game just seems like a grind to me which is common in Asian MMOs.
I think there is an element of grinding in all MMORPGS and I do get irritated by 'fetch' quests but I have done most of my levelling in this game just by following the main story.
Ever tried Black Desert? Damn.
No but a couple of my old guildmates in Elder Scrolls did and didn't recommend it.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Resident Evil remake mercenaries available for free.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

I envy you guys that can play loads of games. My ‘personality’ just doesn’t allow me to. I’ve played less than twenty games in 30 years. I just don’t like change, don’t enjoy ‘new’ or different (even patches upset me). wish I did.

Anyway Diablo 3 season 28 HC solo currently for me whilst I await Diablo IV release.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've just discovered this:

Been playing it today with my 8 year old.