⚽ West Ham Utd 1-5 Newcastle Utd (5/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

Like I keep saying he ain't a defensive midfielder which is effectively where Moues is inexplicably playing him, whilst playing Soucek ahead of him. They're both literally lost on the pitch knowing what's really required of them. Their instincts are better suited to the others role currently in the Team. It's ****ing bizarre what Moyes is doing. It's like playing with 9 men because of them 2 played out of position doing the other ones job and losing at home 1-5 shows it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I can't shake the feeling that the players have lost the will to win.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:01 pm I can't shake the feeling that the players have lost the will to win.
To go with fans who have lost the will to live.....
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:30 pm He's salvaged a vaguely respectable score with a strong finish but for the best part of 65 minutes that was an absolute horror show from Lucas Paquetá.

Stuff like this again and again
That is Wilson highlighted isn't it? I doubt that is Paqueta's man to pick up.

It is how we are set up. We have great difficulty dealing with any team who moves through the lines (I assume because we practice against our own attacking tactics so never see it!)
MB

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:42 pm Like I keep saying he ain't a defensive midfielder which is effectively where Moues is inexplicably playing him, whilst playing Soucek ahead of him. They're both literally lost on the pitch knowing what's really required of them. Their instincts are better suited to the others role currently in the Team. It's ****ing bizarre what Moyes is doing. It's like playing with 9 men because of them 2 played out of position doing the other ones job and losing at home 1-5 shows it.
Paqueta has been fine as a central midfielder. Not wow, but fine. He was bloody awful as an attacking midfielder.

Not all his fault as it is a horrid role in Moyes' set up, but he is ill suited to playing further forward in this league. He wants too long on the ball.

This idea that we just drop Soucek for someone else is naive. The problem is long standing and more fundamental
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

MB wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:33 pm Paqueta has been fine as a central midfielder. Not wow, but fine. He was bloody awful as an attacking midfielder.

Not all his fault as it is a horrid role in Moyes' set up, but he is ill suited to playing further forward in this league. He wants too long on the ball.

This idea that we just drop Soucek for someone else is naive. The problem is long standing and more fundamental
It's not naive in the slightest, it's actually sensible. Not that dropping Soucek right now is the only thing I'd do but it's certainly a big part of the equation, just as it is not detailing Paqueta to make as many tackles as possible breaking play up. What a waste of a talent.

You certainly got that highlighted snippet right. :thup:
MB

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:37 pm It's not naive in the slightest, it's actually sensible. Not that dropping Soucek right now is the only thing I'd do but it's certainly a big part of the equation, just as it is not detailing Paqueta to make as many tackles as possible breaking play up. What a waste of a talent.
Which is what he does for Brazil. He sits and he builds. That is his talent. Plus at Lyon having a bit of license like Soucek had for us which saw him score (mostly from inside the box)

Whoever you play as the most forward of the three will struggle. It is almost as isolated as the striker role and needs almost superhuman levels of performance. It is a totally flawed system.
Colours never run

He doesn't just sit and build, he quite often joins in with attacks in the final third of the pitch for Brazil. And he's got the goals and assists, as well as the creativity to prove it.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Edited by a moderator

So due to overmoderation and changing the post,I've deleted it

Thanks
Last edited by sicknote on Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrumHammer
Has liked: 3472 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by BrumHammer »

Picked apart on MotD by Leon Osman, Dion Dublin, and Gabby Logan, what a time to be alive.
johnk1
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by johnk1 »

Went along on a freebie last night, and only my 3rd ever visit. Was nice to experience a lounge / bar and sit somewhere different even if it was up in the gods in 209. Lots of tourists around me but I suppose I fall into that category now. I’ve watched us more times away than ‘home’ since the move. It will never be a suitable football ground for me, which is a depressing enough thought without what is happening to us on the pitch.

Anyway I digress, this is a match thread. We stayed to the end and the saddest sight for me (other than shirtless toon fans) was Rice doing a lap of the pitch and applauding those that were left. All his team mates were off the pitch long before.

I am sick of us playing a lone striker which is clearly not working when Antonio is off form, and I am not sure it is Ings’ strength. Swapping one for the other after 60 mins and at 1-3, achieved what? Same for the other like for like subs, we were crying out to see Lanzini or Fornals, you know a bit of spark or creativity.

The players certainly don’t look up for any sort of fight, with few exceptions. With our run in, especially at home, I fear we are doomed. I know there are more recent examples but this has echoes of 1989 for me, without the strong finish.

On the bright side I had a lovely chat and pic taken with Carlton Cole. Overchuffed.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I went to my first game at the London Stadium last night. I thought the first forty seconds were great but, I did say to my sister at the time, that in missing two decent chances in the space of a few seconds, we'd used up our entire stock of attacking mojo.

As for the rest of it, I'm so pleased that we're helping Callum Wilson look like a great striker and, in truth, I don't feel like they played us off the park. The difference was that they punished every mistake we made and every chance they got, they took it. For us, I got the distinct impression that if Bowen didn't pull something out of the hat, no-one else was going to.

What I would say is that Moyes has lost it. There was a noticeable moment during one of the breaks in play when all of the Newcastle players gathered around to hear the thoughts of Chairman Howe. During the same break, Emerson was arsing about with his boot on the far touchline, most of the others were chatting amongst themselves and I think maybe only Rice and Bowen were over by the manager. As we were two goals down at that point, you'd have thought that he's have something to say.

I hate to say it but, this isn't really a 2002/3 repeat. It's more like 2010/11. In the likes of Paqueta and Kehrer (although there are plenty of others) we've got the equivalents of Wayne Bridge and Hitzlsperger who might look great ..... if they played under another manager. Moyes is starting to look an awful lot like Uncle Avram, ****ing clueless.

Another thing that seems completely obvious when you can see the whole pitch rather than what's shown on the telly is that Paqueta isn't a 10 and he's not even really an 8. He's basically a shorter, better tackling Declan Rice. In my mind, the decision should be to play Soucek or Paqueta not both. I'd also argue that when we're playing the clubs around us, we shouldn't play either. An actual 8 and 10 in the form of Fornals and Lanzini should be the midfield three.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

BrumHammer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:12 pm Picked apart on MotD by Leon Osman, Dion Dublin, and Gabby Logan, what a time to be alive.
The majority of posters on here are able to pick apart what this idiot puts out. It’s embarrassing. Give him another game though, it’s only 3 vital points up for grabs.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not that anyone who watched that debacle needs reaffirming but..

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=44549

Player by Player Analysis: West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd

as they say in poker

Read 'em and weep....
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

johnk1 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:15 pm Went along on a freebie last night…
And still overpaid

The mental strength of the team after the third goal is a huge concern for the remaining games given the level of pressure the team will be under.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

hammer1975 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:26 pm And still overpaid

The mental strength of the team after the third goal is a huge concern for the remaining games given the level of pressure the team will be under.

Conceding a goal in the first minute of the second half in a game we'd fought hard to get back into would kill the stoutest hearts. We might as well have packed up and gone to the pub right there
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

delbert wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:23 pm To go with fans who have lost the will to live.....
:crylol: :crylol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »