⚽ Crystal Palace 4-3 West Ham Utd (29/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Re: Crystal Palace vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Gsbgsb »

If Aguerd wants to keep and pass the ball then he best learn how to control it (Newcastle) and select a pass (yesterday).

Third goal he knows he is passing to Soucek (not the best with the ball at his feet), he must see Schlupp closing him down and thus appreciate that were everything to go right the best result was a hurried clearance by Fab as Schlupp continued to chase the ball. He had controlled possession how does the pass he made improve on a controlled ball forward by him?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

So, basically, we lost a game after

1. Conceding a very dubious penalty
2. Gifting the home team another goal with a crazy pass to a team-mate, under no pressure at all
3. Zaha hitting the post and in, after a great touch from Ayew, and
4. Ayew scoring a strike that , on another day, Fabianski would have got a hand to.

The team is knackered.

That home match vs Leeds could be one of the tastiest ever league games at the OS.
Thor
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Thor »

I've been to this away fixture every season for about the last 10 years and this was easily the worse performance I've witnessed. We were outfought and outplayed all over the park and to make matters worse I had to spend a few hours in the pub with my Palace supporting brother in-law and his mates afterwards. With the penalty decision the ref blew up too quickly as they went on to score from the move and the var & ref would have been rightly embaressed if they had reversed the call. Palace fans reckon that they could have had a pen earlier with Coufal holding back Zaha and that Aguerd was stopping their defender getting off the ground for our third. I had a **** view and won't be watching it again. Shameful display that ruined my weekend!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:57 pm
4. Ayew scoring a strike that , on another day, Fabianski would have got a hand to.
only edited because I wanted to emphasize this.

I just happen to have talkSPORT on and they did a bit on xg for this game. not that I understand it, although to be honest they did a really good job of explaining it on an individual basis.

I think they said that the Ayew goal was a 1 in 7 chance of a miss or the keeper saving it.

now maybe our xg experts on here can verify or offer a breakdown on it, but if I'm not exact on it, that at least was the general idea. not only the angle he hit it from but the fact that most times the goalkeeper would be expected to save it.

now not wishing to chuck all the xg stats in there, especially as I have just explained that I don't fully understand it, but it seems to me that in this particular case, what a lot of posters on here mentioned at the time, that we would have expected Fab to have saved it.

penalty, dubious or not aside, things like that really deflate a team.

imagine what the Spurs dressing room must have been like after that yesterday. coming so soon on the heels of the Barcodes and ManU results.

in general you'd hope and expect that a manager would be able to pick up a team after that type of thing, lean on the older heads on the team to pick out the positives of a performance like that, but don't tell me that there weren't a lot of gutted players in the dressing room.

that's something that a few of us mentioned about knackered and demoralised players in our squad. it's got to be like a bloody roller coaster in our dressing room. good performances but a defeat, scrappy awful performances but a win, and every other combination of the preceding.

as the old cliche says, that's where a manager earns his corn. there's quite a lot of those managers who are at the unemployment exchange currently. they haven't managed it.
hammers92
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Thor wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:50 am I've been to this away fixture every season for about the last 10 years and this was easily the worse performance I've witnessed.
I don’t know, I remember standing behind a post trying to watch us play when Chamakh scored the winner in Tony Pulis’ first game there.

Dark times!
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 260 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:06 pm only edited because I wanted to emphasize this.

I think they said that the Ayew goal was a 1 in 7 chance of a miss or the keeper saving it.

This suggests that there was a very low chance of it being missed or saved. Are you sure that was the right figures?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Sir_Trevor wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:13 pm This suggests that there was a very low chance of it being missed or saved. Are you sure that was the right figures?
yep. the numbers might be off, I might have gotten them the wrong way around (more than likely) but the numbers said that it was a very low chance that he scored.

if I reversed the numbers that might make my argument more valid !!!!

:crylol:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5524 likes
Total likes: 3042 likes

Post by MB »

Yes you've got your numbers the wrong way round or it would have a higher xg than a pen.

Ayew does catch it really well though.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MB wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:32 pm Yes you've got your numbers the wrong way round or it would have a higher xg than a pen.

cheers. said I didn't understand it all, and this proves my point !!!!

was a easier defended goal by Zouma who should have done so much better and pretty savable by Fab.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

MB wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:32 pm Yes you've got your numbers the wrong way round or it would have a higher xg than a pen.

He's a decent enough striker, imo, who we never seem to be able to contain
johnnyboy123
Has liked: 321 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by johnnyboy123 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:06 pm

The xG was 0.12 according to Sofascore, so about a 1 in 8 chance of scoring or a 7 to 1 chance.

Whatever the odds, no way should Fabianski be getting beat at his near post though, I'm getting Jussi vibes of a keeper being kept as our number 1 a season too long when he really should have been dropped to the bench.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

cheers for the lads who got my numbers right for me...

left to my own devices I'd have lost my shirt betting on the wrong way round numbers !!!!!

Humbug
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Humbug »

I must be behind times because I've only just realised that the referee Craig Pawson was one and the same that didn't give Chelsea a penalty for the Soucek hand ball. He was criticised quite publicly for that error and wondering whether he's tried to even things up, although 2 wrongs don't make it right. He is basically a very poor official and needs demoting to a lower league.