Today's celebrity death is...

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Re: Today's celebrity death is...

Post by dasnutnock3 »

White Goodman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:58 pm I've developed a decent heuristic for detecting paedos. If they work at the BBC, are male and over 50, assume they are a nonce. Hardly ever wrong
Does rather seem that way. Acutely depressing, and how come nobody at the Beeb was ever taken to court for all the "shielding" there must have been going on?
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

last.caress wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:01 pm Paedo Rolf Harris has just dropped dead too.
Altogether now:

Tie his coffin lid down, sport
Tie his coffin lid down.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

White Goodman wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:58 pm I've developed a decent heuristic for detecting paedos. If they work at the BBC, are male and over 50, assume they are a nonce. Hardly ever wrong
Which comedian said or similar to "found a copy of the Radio times from the 70's, or as we call it now the sex register"

Similar to Dan, Rolf and Stuart Hall was 2 that I found utterly depressing.

Too many good & great people have passed on this thread, would like to see RH taken off it as he doesn't deserve to be on it.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:00 pm Does rather seem that way. Acutely depressing, and how come nobody at the Beeb was ever taken to court for all the "shielding" there must have been going on?
Yes similar "shielding" I imagine to Savile, which makes their article on his death on their site even more laughable, in that it doesn't anywhere reference his long standing working relationship with them

Like we've all forgotten :crylol:
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Pete Brown. 82
Poet, musician and lyricist best known for writing with Cream with White Room and Sunshine of Your Love among his credits. Also a good musician in his own right with his bands Battered Ornaments and Piblokto.

RIP
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

kennith Anger - pioneering indi film- maker - amongst other things!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 4iz3XB9NcQ
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

ITN News reporter Emily Morgan. Died today, just 45 years of age after a short battle with lung cancer. To say, I am stunned is an understatement. She was a superb news reporter, most noted for bringing informed nightly reports during the covid pandemic. She will be sorely missed. RIP
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Yes, very sad news about Emily Morgan, she was fearless during those scary early days of the pandemic.
ITN newscaster Geraint Vincent nearly broke down giving the news on News at Ten earlier tonight.

RIP
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:02 pm ITN News reporter Emily Morgan. Died today, just 45 years of age after a short battle with lung cancer.
That's terribly sad. I'd imagine her family is still quite young.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Girl From Ipanema , Astrud Gilberto has passed away aged 83 .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65818566

A beautiful girl in her time and a catchy little number it was too .

'' Astrud Gilberto, the Brazilian bossa nova singer best known for The Girl from Ipanema, has died aged 83.

One of Brazil's biggest stars of the 1960s and 70s, she recorded 16 albums and worked with artists ranging from Quincy Jones to George Michael.

Her version of The Girl From Ipanema sold more than five million copies and helped to popularise bossa nova. ''
OFT

Post by OFT »

Tony McPhee

Groundhogs guitarist and blues man T S McPhee Died 6th June 2023 aged 79.

Fantastic musician ,I saw The Groundhogs many times over the years.

RIP and ta for the music Tony.

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

OFT wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:31 pm Tony McPhee
He really was an extraordinary guitarist, one of the very very best. The punk rock rulebook forbade me to get into him until relatively recently, but the rulebook's wrong because a lot of his playing is just so innovative and incendiary. He made that long haired hippy claptrap sound so exciting, like nobody else.

RIP maestro.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I was only talking about The Groundhogs a couple of days ago with my uncle, who was into them in a big way in the 70s - I’d not heard of any of their stuff before (similar reasons to MB) and they were on my ‘musical homework’ list.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Very sad news, though he made it to 79. Amazing the people he played with, some Blues legends. I've told OFT 600 times that I played a few gigs with him in 1982. He'd moved into a house along Capel Rd (Wanstead Flats) so was a neighbour and my mate brought him and his (then?) wife home from the pub one night and it progressed from there. Gold records on the wall in his house! He said he'd felt completely sidelined by Punk but noticed there was a resurgence of bands playing Blues and wanted to get back in.
I brought in a pub-band mate as drummer who was also familiar with The Groundhogs and we persuaded him to resurrect some Hogs stuff (3744 James Rd). I didn't last long, only 3 gigs irc and I'm told that it was cos I was always anxious to get home for work in the morning (I was his transport) when he wanted to hang out and wanted someone a bit more 'rock'n'roll who could sing. I was a timid young lad. We still talked to each other though. In 1998 Mojo magazine did a feature on him, and he recalled a time when he re-started his gigging with '...a bassplayer who was a milkman'. That was me and I was so made up he remembered!

His first love was definitely Blues and he definitely went beyond just 'playing it' and had a way of combining vocal and lead parts reminiscent of Hendrix. Surprised to read recently of 'younger' musicians who claim influence.

Was on my mind too a few days before he passed because I was watching that BBC2 series Gallows Pole and Cherry Red (the track OFT provided above) featured in part of the first episode.

Fave example of his more 'proggy' work. RIP

OFT

Post by OFT »

vietnammer wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:47 pm I've told OFT 600 times that I played a few gigs with him in 1982.
I thought it was more than 600 viet. :winker:
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 460 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

vietnammer wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:47 pm Very sad news, though he made it to 79. Amazing the people he played with, some Blues legends. I've told OFT 600 times that I played a few gigs with him in 1982.
That's a great story viet. I was in a prog rock band in the early 70s (though not sure the term existed then) and we played bad versions of both Cherry Red and Split parts 1 and 2. RIP TS.
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

OFT wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:31 pm Tony McPhee
Yeah Tony McPhee was a great guitarist, and was inspired by the blues as can be heard when he played a version of John Lee Hooker Groundhog Blues. on the Split album.

And the studio version of "Cherry Red" was recorded live in a single take. Brilliant.

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Treat Williams, aged 71, has died in a motorcycle accident in Vermont.

A prominent film and tv actor who may not be a name overly familiar with a lot of people but he had the distinction in being in one of the greatest movies ever made. Treat Williams played union leader, Jimmy O’Donnell, in Sergio Leone’s masterpiece, Once Upon a Time in America .

RIP
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 am Treat Williams, aged 71, has died in a motorcycle accident in Vermont.

A prominent film and tv actor who may not be a name overly familiar with a lot of people but he had the distinction in being in one of the greatest movies ever made. Treat Williams played union leader, Jimmy O’Donnell, in Sergio Leone’s masterpiece, Once Upon a Time in America .

RIP

One of those actors we noticed more because of his name ' Treat ' [ he also shared my not uncommon surname ] so perhaps I took more interest than most in his roles which weren't huge in comparison to the mainstream ' stars ' .

I remember him from ' The Devil's Own ' a rather dull film concerning the IRA [ Brad Pitt ] and a ' horror ' called ' Deep Rising ' along with ' Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead ' which I saw very recently , so mostly the latter .

I've watched ' Once Upon A Time In America ' more than once but didn't notice him :( and I bought ' Mulholland Drive ' on DVD earlier this year but I've yet to watch it , he's credited in that too .

Seems he was a very young 71 year old .
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:46 am and I bought ' Mulholland Drive ' on DVD earlier this year but I've yet to watch it , he's credited in that too .
He's not in Mulholland Drive. He's credited in a nineties picture called Mulholland Falls - never seen it myself - so you might've been thinking of that one. :newthumb: