11 years for illegal streaming

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

11 years for illegal streaming

Post by Up the Junction »

I hope they've got some of that 7mil stashed down the back of the sofa...
Five men who illegally streamed Premier League football matches to tens of thousands of people have been jailed.

At Derby Crown Court, the gang's "prime mover", Mark Gould, 36, was sentenced to 11 years in prison.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65697595
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Re: 11 years for illegal streaming

Post by delbert »

It's playing Whack a Mole, jail this gang and another two will take over. The 3.00pm kick off ban is a farce, Sky/BT's greed has made both the market and the means.
VPN's and no subscription is the way forward.........
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

:zippy:
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

11 years is a crazy long sentence.

We lock people up for a decent stretch for relatively victimless crimes, yet let murderers, rapists and paedo’s off with lenient sentences.

The world’s gone mad.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

What's the point in sending someone to prison for something like this? Strip them of every penny that can be found, make them keep paying it back until they've made good.

I get how someone who has been nicking grandma's life savings deserves to do some time but this is stealing from a faceless corporation. f*** them.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

One of the people involved in the streaming gang was also convicted of multiple unrelated offences including possessing indecent child imagery. Another had hacked legitimate customers’ accounts to access and copy streams for them to take the blame if identified by authorities.

It's rare that criminals of this type commit a single crime (the money raised is often used by criminal gangs to fund drug deals, prostitution etc) so even if you conscience let's you sleep at night about their illegal streaming activities they got up to enough other stuff to make the world a nicer place without them roaming the streets.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Hammer1966 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:47 pm One of the people involved in the streaming gang was also convicted of multiple unrelated offences including possessing indecent child imagery.
That was quite convenient, wasn't it.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Perhaps he should have used some of the proceeds to employ a cleaner judging by the state of that f***ing flat.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:04 pm
We lock people up for a decent stretch for relatively victimless crimes, yet let murderers, rapists and paedo’s off with lenient sentences.
Those murderers, rapists and paedos don't donate money to the conservative party, or have friends high up in government.

Well, most of them don't.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Not sure what you mean Sendo... :eh:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Ian Herbert of the Daily Mail thinks they deserve everything you get - and he's not that enamoured by those who use such services either, who he appears to believe are all lazy, obese alcoholics.
And while they sit on their fat backsides, crack open a few tins and help themselves, the revenue drains away from those who have taken the quality of sports broadcasting – TV and radio – to levels unimaginable 20 years ago.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-50m.html
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hey! I quit drinking at the end of the year!
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:42 pm Ian Herbert of the Daily Mail thinks they deserve everything you get - and he's not that enamoured by those who use such services either, who he appears to believe are all lazy, obese alcoholics.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-50m.html
Professional sports journalists who look down on those who have to pay for their tickets/PL TV subs, are the worst sort of people.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:42 pm Ian Herbert of the Daily Mail thinks they deserve everything you get - and he's not that enamoured by those who use such services either, who he appears to believe are all lazy, obese alcoholics.
I think he needs to sort his stereotypes out. It’s too expensive for what it is, they paid the PL too much and have to recoup it by rinsing fans.

Muppet. He is probably delighted at the anti-account sharing measures Netflix have introduced as well.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Small point of order (and I can't believe I'm wandering anywhere near defending a Daily Mail journalist) but while he may be using a lazy stereotype he's not having a go at people who pay. In fact it's the complete opposite. They don't pay for what they consume which I guess is the point his lazy arse is trying to make.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

If this guy got 11 years for streaming and making a few million, can't wait to see what Baroness Mone is going to get for nicking 48 million and running out the country to avoid proscution, when they catch her!
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

WHU Independent wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:58 pm If this guy got 11 years for streaming and making a few million, can't wait to see what Baroness Mone is going to get for nicking 48 million and running out the country to avoid proscution, when they catch her!
Place in government probably.
Brickworks Iron
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Brickworks Iron »

Same thing happened back in the day with Napster right, took them a while to clock this is how people want to consume that media and Spotify came along.

The premier league and sky are well out of tune, now we have BT & Amazon in the mix you can spend north of £60 per month and still can’t watch all the games just the ones they choose to televise.

The market for an ‘online season ticket’ is there, a monthly sub model can work, the old theory of if we televise all the 3pm KO’s will stop all the lower league attendances is so old fashioned it’s unreal. I know there are many ‘football’ fans but I am a West Ham fan, I couldn’t give a rats arse about other clubs lower league or premier league it irks me i could be sat in Chicago or Dubai and watch us play but in the UK if I’m really lucky we might have live radio coverage.

The powers that be need to take heed there is an opportunity here.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Is it an opportunity though Brickworks? Isn't it just another way the richest clubs will get even richer?

I reckon Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City would have more subscribers than the rest of the league put together. The SKY model works because it is, to a point, fair in its wealth distribution
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Brickworks Iron wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:55 pm Same thing happened back in the day with Napster right, took them a while to clock this is how people want to consume that media and Spotify came along.

The premier league and sky are well out of tune, now we have BT & Amazon in the mix you can spend north of £60 per month and still can’t watch all the games just the ones they choose to televise.

The market for an ‘online season ticket’ is there, a monthly sub model can work, the old theory of if we televise all the 3pm KO’s will stop all the lower league attendances is so old fashioned it’s unreal. I know there are many ‘football’ fans but I am a West Ham fan, I couldn’t give a rats arse about other clubs lower league or premier league it irks me i could be sat in Chicago or Dubai and watch us play but in the UK if I’m really lucky we might have live radio coverage.

The powers that be need to take heed there is an opportunity here.
This is spot on

If you offer all games for a club for say £50 a month (maybe more I'm not doing the maths) I bet you would get a tone of subscribers

You could reduce season tickets to reward people for going rather than price then out the game

People wouldn't stop going to lower league, how many go because they enjoy the day out? Or lower league fans ..

Give people what they want then you have no illegal market