RIP Tina Turner

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Re: RIP Tina Turner

Post by Rowly »

As everyone has already said she was an absoulte bona fide legend. What a Life she lived.

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

I reckon we'll keep this thread strictly Annie Mae-centric, eh?

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

When you have Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, Bryan Adams, ( I imagine there are more ) all saying she had the biggest influence on their careers you know you are talking about an iconic legend.

She never drank, smoked or did drugs in an industry where that was the norm, only started solo in her 40's and became a superstar.

She also happened to have the hottest legs in history :grin:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Can't say I was ever a massive fan but she was an icon & I'm sad to see her go.
RIP TT - one of the true legends.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

When she finally got the courage to leave Ike Turner after 16 years of him beating her senseless, all she had in her purse was 33 cents.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Very minor part of her career, but she and the Ikettes performed on several albums with Frank Zappa due to him using Ike's 'Bolic' studio. Rock&Roll is full of dodgy anecdotes, but apparently Tina was looking after Zappa's band at nights cooking stews for them. Zappa (it's said) commented that she was 'a lovely woman' and he 'didn't know how she put up with Ike'.
Further, It's said that immediately after she left Ike, she spent months staying at Zappa's house with his wife 'getting herself together' (Zappa wasn't around very much). But who really knows?

The hard evidence, maybe only OFT and a few others will recognise these tracks.

OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

vietnammer wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:15 pm Very minor part of her career, but she and the Ikettes performed on several albums with Frank Zappa due to him using Ike's 'Bolic' studio. Rock&Roll is full of dodgy anecdotes, but apparently Tina was looking after Zappa's band at nights cooking stews for them. Zappa (it's said) commented that she was 'a lovely woman' and he 'didn't know how she put up with Ike'.
Further, It's said that immediately after she left Ike, she spent months staying at Zappa's house with his wife 'getting herself together' (Zappa wasn't around very much). But who really knows?

The hard evidence, maybe only OFT and a few others will recognise these tracks.
recognise and love 'em

There are clips on Youtube of the Ikettes singing with Zappa, although I'm not sure if all three of them are there.
One rumour I've read is that when Ike heard the stuff they were doing he said"whats this ****?" and prevented the Ikettes(certainly Tina) from being credited on the albums.
The two albums in question are Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe. Cant see any mention on Overnight but Apostrophe lists Linda and Debbie among the backing vocals and I'm assuming that's Ikettes.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

ageing hammer wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:42 pm When she finally got the courage to leave Ike Turner after 16 years of him beating her senseless, all she had in her purse was 33 cents.

I honestly never realised she had reached the ripe old age of 83 - in my mind she was still strutting her stuff , the years pass by without me noticing - I was genuinely saddened to hear of her passing .

I wasn't what you'd call a true ' fan ' but I loved a lot of her songs / work so maybe in a way I was a fan , who knows ?

First song of theirs I remember was ' River Deep Mountain High ' but the one that drew my attention to them was the fabulous ' Nutbush City Limits ' , still a cracking tune , written by Anna Mae herself [ I believe ? ] and my personal favourite to this day .

A truly beautiful woman and a brilliant performer .