The search for Madeline McCann

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Re: The search for Madeline McCann

Post by claretandblue82 »

To use an example, I see it as the kid is Hillsborough and the parents are Heysel. They will keep bringing up Hillsborough every year in the hope that what happened in Heysel is forgotten about!

As the mum is from Liverpool she will forever play the victim! No matter what happened, the parents are to blame for leaving the kids alone.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

claretandblue82 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:27 amNo matter what happened, the parents are to blame for leaving the kids alone.
No the sick murdering paedo is to blame for carrying out a crime.

That's like blaming a woman for being raped because she walked around a park at midnight in a bikini. A bad choice and unsafe, yes, but to blame. No.
Larrakeyah Hammer
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Larrakeyah Hammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:52 am No the sick murdering paedo is to blame for carrying out a crime.

That's like blaming a woman for being raped because she walked around a park at midnight in a bikini. A bad choice and unsafe, yes, but to blame. No.
I appreciate you want to defend the parents

Irrespective of what’s happened the is actually no proof or evidence to suggest Madeleine was abducted

If there was millions & millions of pounds spent would have found something tangible

One fact is the cadaver dogs found the scent of blood and the odour of dead body in the apartment

Two dogs with excellent previous records

Then Kate McCann refused to answer 48 questions
Both refused lie detector tests

Kate McCann answered ONE question it was

The one question Kate McCann did answer however was: Are you aware that in not answering the questions you are jeopardising the investigation, which seeks to discover what happened to your daughter? Answer: 'Yes if that’s what the investigation thinks

Guilty or not guilty of involvement I’m sorry that’s not the actions of parents I’d want if I was 4 and went missing or if my child went missing

That’s not to add to all the inconsistencies of the statements from the Tapas group

The McCann official statements that contradict the photos of the apartment

Plus Kate upon finding Madeleine missing ran back to the group leaving the twins . I accept it’s a unique situation but again very odd behaviour

The investigation by the Met Police was flawed immediately when at the press conference they stated the McCanns are not suspects

Now you listen or watch any self respecting detective in cases like this the immediate people of interest are the immediate family irrespective of who they are

The detective Colin Sutton who investigated and got the conviction for Levi Bellfield was asked to be involved

He stated can I investigate it my way . He was told no so refused

Far far to many and this is just a few things that aren’t right
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

last.caress wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:05 am No doubt leaving your kid at the mercy of unqualified Butlins staff while the grown ups all did the jitterbug at the Ally Pally for thruppence ha'penny before fetching the trolley to Shitsbury Park was a thing back in the fifties, but was seasonal child abandonment still a grand old British tradition in 2007?
No, no. No "buts". As you've just said: There's no way you'd go out and leave your kids like that. And quite right too. Neither would I. Neither would more-or-less anyone in 2007. So it probably wasn't an act which required the Portuguese police to consider it to be something us Brits just did, as par for the course.
I think it was Pontins advertising their childminding thing as recently as the 80's mate. So probably more Agadoo than Jitterbugging, saying that, in the 70's it would've been a quick smooch to Brotherhood of Man before bunging your car keys in a bowl and copping off with someone else's furry fannied missus........
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

delbert wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:19 pm before bunging your car keys in a bowl and copping off with someone else's furry fannied missus........
:crylol:

Sure I saw a theory that they sedated the kids to get them to sleep and accidentally killed her. With them being doctors it would of been easy to get. Had seen before about her refusing to answer anything and them not taking lie detector tests. What sort of parents do that!

It will be a case that will never be solved and will go to the grave with whoever done it!
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

They just look shifty and weird. Book 'em.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

delbert wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:19 pmI think it was Pontins advertising their childminding thing as recently as the 80's mate.
Sure was. I recall going to Great Yarmouth around the turn of the decade and my younger brothers being left in their beds.
bigcarpchaser
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by bigcarpchaser »

I’m pretty sure my Dad and the stepmother would have been locked up for a good long time if the things they got up to occurred now.
Back around 77/78 when I was around 14, the left me, my brother (10) amd 2 stepsisters (14/10) on our own for two weeks while they sodded off to Dallas.
We had a freezer full of frozen dinners and the neighbours (when they were all “Aunty this and Uncle rhat” looked in once or twice a day to make sure we hadn’t set alight to anything lol.
It was great. Was a bit miffed when they came back to be honest.
Just had to make sure all the slave labour in the garden was done, didn’t miss my paper round and we went to school (mostly).
Different times then, I went mad when my ex Mrs left my youngest in his cot while she took the other two to school a couple of times, the mental cow. She couldn’t see what she did wrong as “he was asleep”. Ffs. People do the strangest things without thinking of the consequences all the time I guess.

Cant ever see this poor little girl ever been found, my instinct is telling me the two parents are wronguns, they certainly don’t act like your usual grief stricken parents of other missing kids. Very odd behaviour.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

claretandblue82 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:26 pm Sure I saw a theory that they sedated the kids to get them to sleep and accidentally killed her. With them being doctors it would of been easy to get. Had seen before about her refusing to answer anything and them not taking lie detector tests. What sort of parents do that!
Yes, that is the 'alternative theory' to the main, abduction one.
Who knows..
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

There are inconsistencies in accounts and statements but that doesn't mean anything - unfortunately I have experienced one or two traumatic situations over the years as have many others, and I couldn't honestly recall with any confidence any detail of how I found my surroundings, my specific actions leading up to the moment, who said/did what, etc. I was just preoccupied with dealing with the moment.

However, what I can't get my head around is the mother no commenting her way through an interview with the British police investigation. Why would you actively compromise the ability of those set up find out what happened?

The real shame of this is that there is still a missing girl who needs justice. Various investigations and accounts are obfuscating that process rather than helping her.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Gaz wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:13 am
However, what I can't get my head around is the mother no commenting her way through an interview with the British police investigation. Why would you actively compromise the ability of those set up find out what happened?
And why didn't this set alarm bells ringing for the police either? I would have thought Mrs McCanns behaviour would take her straight to the top of the suspects list?
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 868 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:02 pm And why didn't this set alarm bells ringing for the police either? I would have thought Mrs McCanns behaviour would take her straight to the top of the suspects list?
She was probably advised by her lawyers to not say anything that could potentially implicate them. As usually in a murder investigation, the culprit is a family member or very close acquaintance.

I've only seen the Netflix series, but I don't think they were involved (other than the obvious level of neglect).

I do agree however that the amount of money spent on this investigation in particular could have been better used on a variety of other missing person's cases.

I hope there is some closure and the truth is found. Modern advancements are solving cold cases from decades ago, so who knows what the future advancements could mean to cases like this.
Bend it like Repka

Denbighammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:02 pm And why didn't this set alarm bells ringing for the police either? I would have thought Mrs McCanns behaviour would take her straight to the top of the suspects list?
I think people make a lot of this without much thought. Same as suspicion she washed the toy etc.

I remember a couple of times when my kid went missing in a supermarket isle. I looked around, not there, checked the next aisle, not there, went the other side and both main walkways. Nothing.

By then my heart was pounding so hard I thought it would explode. Utter panic was rushing thorough me. 30 seconds later I found her.

I saw a woman a few weeks ago in Sainsbury running up and down aisles looking for her child. We all started helping her and it took minutes before a staff member found her. The mum was in bits, done.

Now imagine having a couple of days of that in your head. But now you know she has been taken. You know some monster might be doing unspeakable things to her. You have the press swarming all over you. The Portuguese police viewing you as suspects, while you believe they are useless.

Try and behave logically now.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:28 pm I think people make a lot of this without much thought. Same as suspicion she washed the toy etc.

I remember a couple of times when my kid went missing in a supermarket isle. I looked around, not there, checked the next aisle, not there, went the other side and both main walkways. Nothing.

By then my heart was pounding so hard I thought it would explode. Utter panic was rushing thorough me. 30 seconds later I found her.

I saw a woman a few weeks ago in Sainsbury running up and down aisles looking for her child. We all started helping her and it took minutes before a staff member found her. The mum was in bits, done.

Now imagine having a couple of days of that in your head. But now you know she has been taken. You know some monster might be doing unspeakable things to her. You have the press swarming all over you. The Portuguese police viewing you as suspects, while you believe they are useless.

Try and behave logically now.
Or imagine that you'd given your daughter a dose of sedative so you could enjoy prosecco and slotty time, and then found her cold and blue.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

This case rearing it's head again always seems to bring out the worst in people.

They've had to live with the result of their stupid, irresponsible mistake for 16 years now. I'm not sure I'd ever get over that, personally. I think it'd destroy me if something happened to one of my kids as a result of my actions in that way.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Bendy and Chelmsford I never mentioned why Mrs McCann acted as she did, or what her lawyers advised her to do or say. I was questioning why the police (who seemed to rule out the parents from the word go) didn't think it so odd that they made her suspect No.1.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 868 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:22 pm Bendy and Chelmsford I never mentioned why Mrs McCann acted as she did, or what her lawyers advised her to do or say. I was questioning why the police (who seemed to rule out the parents from the word go) didn't think it so odd that they made her suspect No.1.
Sorry, that's what I meant, her behaviour probably wasn't seen as odd for the reason I gave.

There's likely a lot of nuance that went on that no documentary or 'journalist' knows of, only those directly investigating the case. I'm not saying the police are right, but I can understand why in this specific case that they are ruled out of being suspects rather quickly.
Bend it like Repka

Denbighammer wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:22 pm Bendy and Chelmsford I never mentioned why Mrs McCann acted as she did, or what her lawyers advised her to do or say. I was questioning why the police (who seemed to rule out the parents from the word go) didn't think it so odd that they made her suspect No.1.
I thought the police treated them as major suspects for quite a while, then ruled them out?
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

Which is due process, but every time a new investigation is started, e.g. the one led by British police the investigators would start afresh. Sure it can be frustrating having to go through all the information again but you have to do your best to assist.

I don't think it implies guilt necessarily but it does raise eyebrows. As a parent I would be keen to eliminate myself from suspicion just to move the investigation forward as quickly as possible.