Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3200 likes

Re: Superhero ( & sci-fi / other relevant) films

Post by WCpete »

Kids want me to go see GoG3. I'm reticent. I'm tired of giving these blaggards my hard earned money for the crap they've been dishing out since Endgame. Is it genuinely pre-'End Game' good or only 'thank god it's not as **** as as everything post 2019 Marvel' good?
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

So far, it's 5/5 on the MF&TV Hammerometer ratings.

How old are the kids? I would be wary of taking sensitive pre-teens
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:01 pm So far, it's 5/5 on the MF&TV Hammerometer ratings.

13 and 15.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

Kludgehammer wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:01 pm So far, it's 5/5 on the MF&TV Hammerometer ratings.

:oops:
And over emotional 50 year olds
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Jedi Al Khalaas »

Rio wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:11 pm Just back from guardians 3

Great film. I blubbed more than once.

Judge me
All the way through it for me, had to compose myself before meeting up with family afterwards
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

WCpete wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:10 pm13 and 15.
My thirteen year old cried her eyes out but loved it. She cries at everything though.. was blubbing to Brooklyn 99 the other day.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2410 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Guardians 3.

Wasn’t the biggest fan of the franchise previously if I’m honest but what a cracking bit of entertainment. Actually quite spectacular in parts. :newthumb:

Easily the best Marvel since Infinity War and definitely one for the big screen.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Yep, it was good. Saw it last night. It was probably a half hr too long, but thankfully back to 2019 and earlier levels. Hopefully it won't be the last to achieve that.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Watched Quantumania...

:asleep:
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Final trailer for The Flash is out

I hate to be negative (again!) but that looks absolute dogshit, to me - from the terrible acting, to the shiny rubber-look supersuits, to the stupid slow-motion running. Sigh. Maybe it will be better in the whole, but the trailers all have looked depressingly terrible
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

As a dinosaur physical media collector I own all the MCU films up to Thor: Love and Thunder on blu-ray but I still haven't bought Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - about which I can remember absolutely nothing, other than I found it dull and unengaging - and I still haven't bought Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, which wasn't much better. We put that on last night on Disney+ because although mrs.caress and I had seen it at the cinema my son hadn't gotten around to it yet but, in the end, we all sat around silently, noodling on our devices, paying bugger-all attention to the dreary green screenery in front of us.

I still haven't been to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and, on the DC side of things, I still haven't seen Shazam: Fury of the Gods. I've no enthusiasm for any of these uninspired titles but, worse, I've no enthusiasm for the supposed good'uns either, such as the aforementioned GotG3 or the new Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. I've long been interested to see The Flash because of the Batman shenanigans but Warner have been dicking around with it for so long that it feels like it's just going to be a desperate retread of Spider-Man: No Way Home now instead of something potentially fascinating in its own right. And as for the title character... I mean, who gives a stuff about The Flash, really? The Flash always always ALWAYS looks hokey and daft. And, nowadays, he just reminds me of Sheldon Cooper in a Flash dress-up costume in The Big Bang Theory; Probably because, even though they were playing it for meagre laughs, it was still a bang-on representation of the character.

Hm. I think I need to give myself a bit of a break from superhero pics and shows. Get myself back to feeling enthused by them. As things stand I'd take a forty year-old Yuen Woo Ping Kung Fu flick or an eighty year-old Billy Wilder film noir over any more of the dead-eyed, cashgrabbing extended adverts Disney or WB are knocking out at ten to the dozen currently. CGI is no substitute for relatable characters. It's no substitute for engaging story. And even though every major motion picture studio in Hollywood would like us to believe that CGI can create breathtaking action, it can't. It just can't. It can present an artistic rendering of what an action sequence might look like, sure. But CGI is to an action sequence as a John Constable landscape is to the actual, real countryside.

smuts

Post by smuts »

The Marvel films have fallen off a cliff lately quality wise (haven't seen GOTG3 yet to be fair).

I think the last one I enjoyed was Shang-Chi and I thought Eternals wasn't bad. However the last Thor was absolutely woeful and Wakanda Forever was incredibly bland. Quantumania likewise.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:01 am I still haven't been to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and, on the DC side of things, I still haven't seen Shazam: Fury of the Gods.
It suddenly struck me today what Shazam: ****wits of the God-help-us reminded me of - it's basically a long and particularly witless episode of Power Rangers (a series which was pretty witless to start with), complete with the terribe script and acting and the pathetic villains, and power-stealing plot. All it needed was the cardboard cutouts playing the Shazam characters to merge into a giant dinosaur and the whole thing would have been complete.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Kludgehammer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:14 pm Final trailer for The Flash is out

I hate to be negative (again!) but that looks absolute dogshit, to me - from the terrible acting, to the shiny rubber-look supersuits, to the stupid slow-motion running. Sigh. Maybe it will be better in the whole, but the trailers all have looked depressingly terrible
I see what you mean.

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Saw Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse last night.

Absolutely brilliant, 9/10. My only complaint was it was a tad too long but what a fantastic follow up.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Looking forward to it. My daughter is seeing it for the second time today. It was my favorite of all the Marvel character films, probably by some distance if I'm being honest.
Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

Watched a fairly balanced review of Flash (ie not by one of the channels that wets themselves at every crap DCU film) - said the first hour is pretty terrible (as it's all Ezra Miller, and he just can't carry the film), but drastically improves after that.

That all sounds pretty plausible to me, particularly the Ezra Miller part
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

last.caress wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:01 am As a dinosaur physical media collector... I still haven't bought Black Panther: Wakanda Forever... (or) Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania... and, on the DC side of things, I still haven't seen Shazam: Fury of the Gods.

Hm. I think I need to give myself a bit of a break from superhero pics and shows.
Yeah. Bought all three of these yesterday, because I'm a hypocrite, a weird obsessive compulsive and an all-round odd-bod. The Shazam! movie is a blind purchase so I'll doubtless give it a look over the next day or two.

Kludgehammer

Post by Kludgehammer »

last.caress wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:00 am The Shazam! movie is a blind purchase so I'll doubtless give it a look over the next day or two.
It's a dreadful film... you'll probably love it ;-)
smuts

Post by smuts »

3 superhero film covers...with all of the characters just standing around looking in different directions with their masks off.

The Marvel posters etc are always so uninspired.