ULEZ

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Re: ULEZ

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:44 pm
Almost respect khan for ignoring the morons and ploughing ahead with it.
That's about 50% of Londoners being called out as morons mumbles.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:47 pm That's about 50% of Londoners being called out as morons mumbles.
Maybe in your feed but in reality over 90% of cars driving in outer London meet the standards

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press ... -standards

51% support it and 27% don't

https://www.london.gov.uk/media-centre/ ... nsion-ulez
Plashet Grove Pete

mumbles87 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:55 pm Maybe in your feed but in reality over 90% of cars driving in outer London meet the standards

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press ... -standards

51% support it and 27% don't

https://www.london.gov.uk/media-centre/ ... nsion-ulez
Apologies. The Mayor's stats show 51% support his measures.

Even if this propaganda were true, you are still referring to more than a quarter of Londoners as morons.

Carry on.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:02 pm Apologies. The Mayor's stats show 51% support his measures.

Even if this propaganda were true, you are still referring to more than a quarter of Londoners as morons.

Carry on.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 83651.html

Rosamund Adoo-Kissi-Debrah, who was in the audience, heard one man shout that it was “a lie” that air pollution had caused nine-year-old Ella’s death, despite that being the coroner’s finding.

When you get morons like the person shouting yes I will call them morons.

Considering medical science has proven it, a coroner's report has back it up but nope all a massive lie
Plashet Grove Pete

mumbles87 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:06 pm https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 83651.html

Rosamund Adoo-Kissi-Debrah, who was in the audience, heard one man shout that it was “a lie” that air pollution had caused nine-year-old Ella’s death, despite that being the coroner’s finding.

When you get morons like the person shouting yes I will call them morons.

Considering medical science has proven it, a coroner's report has back it up but nope all a massive lie
Fair point. But not sure how you use that as evidence to back your previous statements. What you said was:

"But you tell Joe public right you can't drive this standard of car but all these are fine.. right that's it!! Let's go mental".

and

"Almost respect khan for ignoring the morons and ploughing ahead with it".

The person who shouted out in your example is more than a moron - he's a complete ****. But in your earlier post you are calling out anyone who disagrees with Khan (and you) a moron. That's not exactly the same thing.

At least 27% of Londoners disagree with Khan by his own poll - I reckon the true figure is much higher, but let's go with the stats you quoted as you (as usual) are certain you are right. So you think nearly one in three Londoners is a moron for disagreeing with Khan and you?

Fair enough mumbles. Fair enough.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:53 pm Fair point. But not sure how you use that as evidence to back your previous statements. What you said was:

"But you tell Joe public right you can't drive this standard of car but all these are fine.. right that's it!! Let's go mental".

and

"Almost respect khan for ignoring the morons and ploughing ahead with it".

The person who shouted out in your example is more than a moron - he's a complete ****. But in your earlier post you are calling out anyone who disagrees with Khan (and you) a moron. That's not exactly the same thing.

At least 27% of Londoners disagree with Khan by his own poll - I reckon the true figure is much higher, but let's go with the stats you quoted as you (as usual) are certain you are right. So you think nearly one in three Londoners is a moron for disagreeing with Khan and you?

Fair enough mumbles. Fair enough.
As always Pete you twist it. Standard

It's absolutely fine to disagree with him but it's the way you go about it.

Smashing cameras. Moronic

Just paying the charge because you can't be bothered to change (not that you can't afford that's different) is Moronic

Shouting out lies about a poor dead girl. Moronic

Considering 27% are against only by my own posting not all will be the morons in question.

I feel sorry for anyone who genuinely can't afford to change or is actually effected

I don't however feel one bit of sympathy for those who just want to continue to drive their polluting cars just because.

Like the person I posted about a few months ago, link will be somewhere on this thread who was moaning only 7 of his 10 cars will be exempt .. his "hobby" will be affected

He is fine to be annoyed, your allowed to be annoyed but in reality, just get rid of the 3 which aren't ulez and carry on with your life.

Edit 6 of his 9 cars aren't ulez and he even says himself it's a "silly hobby"

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-lo ... r-26299931
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

If some of these cars can be as lethal as Khan says (and I do believe him on that btw), then why not ban them completely, rather than charge £12.50 a pop, and he could pocket in the region of £300m in the first year?

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/enviro ... 0by%202027.

He uses the smoking in pubs comparison, but forgets that it was actually banned. You can't pay £12.50 on the door to smoke inside.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:07 am If some of these cars can be as lethal as Khan says (and I do believe him on that btw), then why not ban them completely, rather than charge £12.50 a pop, and he could pocket in the region of £300m in the first year?

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/enviro ... 0by%202027.

He uses the smoking in pubs comparison, but forgets that it was actually banned. You can't pay £12.50 on the door to smoke inside.
Most other ulez cites have a fine in this country that's more like £50 so you won't do it again, however London is so huge that it looks like they are hoping for a slow transition over, mass fines and banning would force people to switch for sure but at least the £12.50 is "affordable" almost.

The money coming in won't last forever. From the reports I've read it's all being used for green projects within tfl with things like cleaning up the electric supply for the tube etc.

So least the money generated (whilst it comes in) is used for a good purpose. Once it naturally tails off the tech is then in place and I'm sure the standard will be tightened

Much like the congestion charge, originally hybrids were all free which got a lot of mini cabs to Prius, then ev, from 2025 they lose that
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

More support for low income families.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65771568

No help for those that don't live in a London Borough but work inside one, though.

A friend that is the manager of a care company in Gravesend was saying the other day that they're getting a lot of applicants from experienced staff that live in the Dartford area join them, and they're almost fully staffed now - staff that previously worked in LBs of Bexley and Bromley.

I suspect the same would be happening in other sectors and other areas, too.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:48 am More support for low income families.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65771568

No help for those that don't live in a London Borough but work inside one, though.
That's the boat I'm in - driving a 2010 diesel car means every time my manager decides I should be in the office I'll be getting a fine (mind you my car conked out on the way to London today so depending on what is wrong with it I may need to get a new one anyway)
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Maybe Khan knows a bus driver who can bring all these people who he has priced-out of driving into London to work in one big vehicle?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 940 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Thinking back to when I used to do reactive jobs around town, was easy back then. Less traffic on the roads, loads of little rat runs that one could use. Parking available in mostly any place.

Now you can't do anything like that, so how on earth are any repairs and the like done in London? Must cost an absolute bomb for companies carrying out these types of jobs, do wonder what margins they're working to.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Metal Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:20 pm That's the boat I'm in - driving a 2010 diesel car means every time my manager decides I should be in the office I'll be getting a fine (mind you my car conked out on the way to London today so depending on what is wrong with it I may need to get a new one anyway)
Was thinking about this the other day. When you consider how much you pay for cars, especially new ones, they have a relatively short life in the grand scheme of things.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:44 pm Was thinking about this the other day. When you consider how much you pay for cars, especially new ones, they have a relatively short life in the grand scheme of things.
Last time our washing machine packed up the guy who delivered the new one said that all modern appliances are only built to last 2-3 years so that you have to buy a new one whereas years ago things were built to last.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Metal Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:24 pm Last time our washing machine packed up the guy who delivered the new one said that all modern appliances are only built to last 2-3 years so that you have to buy a new one whereas years ago things were built to last.
I've heard it described as 'built in obsolescence'
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

https://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/ ... st-london/

So apparently havering has the worst streets due to lots of cars

Also apparently poor public transport?

Maybe in some parts but most in Havering have great travel no?

4 tube stations

3 Elizabeth line stations

Countless buses serving all kinds of areas

I mean i can get a bus to romford, lakeside, rainham, hornchurch all a short walk away

Id say we are one of the better boroughs for public transport
whuben
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by whuben »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:44 pm https://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/ ... st-london/

So apparently havering has the worst streets due to lots of cars

Also apparently poor public transport?

Maybe in some parts but most in Havering have great travel no?

4 tube stations

3 Elizabeth line stations

Countless buses serving all kinds of areas

I mean i can get a bus to romford, lakeside, rainham, hornchurch all a short walk away

Id say we are one of the better boroughs for public transport
That’s all well and good on paper, but say you live in collier row and work in Aveley. It’s prob 2/3 buses and a 1.5 hour minimum in travel time each way. As opposed to a 20/25 min drive

Or another example, you live in Cranham and work in Basildon, you are literally hundred of metres in the zone and work out of it. Why should they be punished for this stupid money grabbing scheme
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

whuben wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:23 pm That’s all well and good on paper, but say you live in collier row and work in Aveley. It’s prob 2/3 buses and a 1.5 hour minimum in travel time each way. As opposed to a 20/25 min drive

Or another example, you live in Cranham and work in Basildon, you are literally hundred of metres in the zone and work out of it. Why should they be punished for this stupid money grabbing scheme
Yet the options are there

Up in grim north it was 3 buses each way a day

Not a regular bus service from aveley or collier row etc

It's hardly poor transport tbh.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:36 pm Yet the options are there

Buses around and within Havering are mostly high frequency. Those that venture out of it, are low frequency - the bus network in havering really isn't great compared to other outer London Boroughs.
whuben
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by whuben »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:36 pm Yet the options are there

But up north your average worker is being told to pay 12.5 a day just to go and do a days work