👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by S-H »

Paqueta is a prime example that some players need time, time to settle, adjust and acclimatise to a new country, new team, and new tactics.

Unfortunately for Scamacca he didn't get that time, due to illness and injury, fingers crossed the time out injured has allowed him to adjust to life in the UK, I hope he comes back in pre-season like a new player, because I genuinely believe he has the talent, I think Moyes does too.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

EvilC wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:45 pm It could get a bit worse though. Ask Leicester.

I too have had my fill of Moyesball. I suspect that getting some better footballers in, because there were plenty this season that were substandard (including Scamacca and the ones you have listed) you might see better football and better results.
not trolling you, just interested in the conversation !!!

:crylol:

I honestly can't make my mind up about how good or bad the new influx of players were/are, Paqueta not withstanding.

the type of football we play doesn't seem to suit Scamacca or Ings. Emerson seems to play better in a 5 but we don't have 3 good CB's with another in reserve

I seriously think we're replacing Pablo.

Lanzini's gone. we need an upgrade on Cresswell and need ot decide if we're playing a 4 or a 5. we defintely need a new CB maybe 2 unless we plan on playing Cresswell and/or Johnson there.

I think Downes is better than people give him credit for but agree that the jury might be out.

if we plan on next season with Antonio up top, you can guess what we're getting.

I'd love to see Rice lift the trophy and announce he's staying for one more year. he's risking a load of dosh to do so though.

I like Areola but if Moyes only plans of playing him in Cup games, and if we don't win the Euro thing, I wouldn't be surprised to see him want out.

I love Big Tommy but quite how he managed to stay in the starting line up in the middle there, I have no idea. 50 odd % passing from a MF player is atrocious yet he stayed in the team due to his aerial presence. again if we plan on playing him as a starter we know what kind of football we're in for. however, of course if Rice goes, he'll need to stay in there for stability purposes.

if Moyes stays without a new contract, I'd expect us to keep playing the way we are now. which I can't bear to think about week in week out. if he extends maybe, just maybe, he'll think about changing but honestly, this type of football has brought him to where he is, and at his age, I cannot fathom him adopting a different philosophy. I really can't.

we seem to be a patchwork quilt of a football team. lots of different pieces stitched together.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

MD_HM wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:26 am Just came on here to highlight the same thing after the club have been posting our road to Prague goals...

Bloke is class, would love to see him here in a more progressive/attacking team.

Just look at the goals, not whether he smiles enough or how many "goal involvements" he had compared with Ings who ironically has missed more sitters than scored.
In 775 minutes on the pitch for us in the PL Ings equalled the number of assists that Scamacca has managed in his entire career yet some say the way he plays reminds them of Kane. You could put anybody upfront with him, pace or otherwise, does not matter if he does not have the vision to find them.

Huge potential fine but that is all it is, potential. Totally down to him if he is willing to put in the work to realise it.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Manchester United have just dumped one of the best centre forwards in history with Ronaldo.

He simply didn't work hard enough for the team so the sum of the parts was lessened.

That is, potentially, what's happening here.

If Man U can dump Ronaldo for the greater good, WHU can dump Scamacca.

Almost all good teams expect their #9 to graft rather than be the Tap-In-Tom-Daley in the PL.
S-H

Post by S-H »

There's a huge difference there though bubbs, it's entitlement, and arrogance, vs injuries, illness and homesickness.

Ronaldo has been there and done that, Scamacca is just starting.

Not that Gianluca is comparable in anyway to Cristiano.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

I get that, but in a job where a manager is usually no more than 10 games from the sack, patience is rare, and is only there if credit's in the bank.

I think Antonio knows that one of the two of them (him or scamacca) won't be at the club next season. He's not an idiot, and he's not at all spontaneous. He clearly thinks in advance about what he's going to do , and what he's going to say.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Antonio is becoming a liability with his big mouth on social media and his performances on the pitch this season have been largely substandard. We don't have a vacancy for a Jamaican Karren Brady. I'd keep Scamacca and let Antonio fall on his arse at some other clubs pitch.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

S-H wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:58 pm Paqueta is a prime example that some players need time, time to settle, adjust and acclimatise to a new country, new team, and new tactics.

Unfortunately for Scamacca he didn't get that time, due to illness and injury, fingers crossed the time out injured has allowed him to adjust to life in the UK, I hope he comes back in pre-season like a new player, because I genuinely believe he has the talent, I think Moyes does too.
He has to be given another chance. As you say, he needed time. He still needs time adjusting to the style of play of the team and vice versa, but more importantly he has already adjusted to the culture and will feel comfortable in the clubhouse. That's one of the most important and most difficult obstacles to overcome. The hard part is already done. Let him play.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

Antonio is a ****ing dickhead.

The blokes not got one brain cell. I’m sorry but you don’t talk about a teammate like that publicly, it’s bang out of order.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3159 likes
Total likes: 2514 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

It’s because Scamacca has already left. Back off to Italy. Completely daft thing for Antonio to do though.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Centre Half wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:09 pm Antonio is a ****ing dickhead.

The blokes not got one brain cell. I’m sorry but you don’t talk about a teammate like that publicly, it’s bang out of order.
He wasn’t criticising Scamacca
S-H

Post by S-H »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 am It’s because Scamacca has already left. Back off to Italy. Completely daft thing for Antonio to do though.
At least we know where we stand, disappointed it hasn't worked out, but glad it's been resolved quickly.
StoneHammer
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by StoneHammer »

EastVillageHammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 am It’s because Scamacca has already left. Back off to Italy. Completely daft thing for Antonio to do though.
How much did we lose on that EVH and do we have a replacement lined up, one that the manager can actually use correctly.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:18 pm Wasn’t Viduka playing for a Leeds back when they were near the top anyway? Guys like Kewell, Rio, etc?
He was, but this was 02/03 - Leeds finished 15th. Viduka didn't actually top 20 PL goals in any other season, got 17 in 00/01 and 22 in all competitions as his next best.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Well, if that’s true, at least he contributed some big goals for us during his short time here.

If we win the cup next week, he would’ve got us there just as much as any other player, after his goals against Viborg, Silkeborg, Anderlecht and Larnaca.

We’ve certainly spent our money on worse.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

StoneHammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:12 am How much did we lose on that EVH and do we have a replacement lined up, one that the manager can actually use correctly.
According to his post on the transfer thread, we lose nothing (if he's correct).
StoneHammer
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by StoneHammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:23 am According to his post on the transfer thread, we lose nothing (if he's correct).
I just read that. A real shame. I have a feeling he's going to become a massive player for whomever bought him.

Another bubble fading and dying at West Ham :(
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Chalk another one to the list of terrible Moyes signings then. Signed a guy who he can't work with to get the best out of despite his teammates recognising his quality. Good stuff.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

If he's sold for more than he was bought for, then they've done well.

Decent touch, good shot, a little lacking in pace and aggression.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Was always happening. Heard from as good a source as you could conceivably get earlier in the year that he wanted out but had hoped it could change as time went on and parties saw the bigger picture and a middle ground. Guess not.

Be pleasantly surprised if we get £40m though. At least it wouldn’t be an Haller or Anderson charity shop job.