Russian invasion of Ukraine

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: Russian invasion of Ukraine

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:23 pm

I'm afraid any credibility you had left is in tatters.

Its not a good look.

Yet you keep asking me questions .

Maybe it's time you stopped - I mean , who wants to listen to someone with no credibility ?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:16 am

Maybe it's time you stopped - I mean , who wants to listen to someone with no credibility ?
Nobody.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:16 am Yet you keep asking me questions .

Why should I stop and allow you free reign on your twisted Pro Putin propaganda and excuse making.

Not going to happen I'm afraid.

I'm not the only one questioning your credibility by the way....
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Drones hit Moscow (live ticker)
Summary

Russia's capital Moscow has been hit in rare drone attacks, with several buildings damaged after air defences shot them down

The Russian defence ministry says Kyiv staged "a terrorist attack" using eight drones - a claim denied by Ukraine

It's the second such attack to rock Moscow after an alleged attack on the Kremlin earlier this month - but more drones were involved this time

It follows a Russian attack on Kyiv, with Ukrainian officials saying more than 20 drones had been destroyed
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

delbert wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 pm An insight into the nitty gritty of helping the good people of the Ukraine get rid of it's unwanted guests:

It's things like this that suggest to me that Ukraine winning is inevitable. World War Two was basically over when the US declared war. There was no way that Japan and Germany could compete with the combined industrial power of the US, UK and the USSR.

Likewise, Russia would never be able to compete with the West's industrial, technological and training capacity. Russia will run out of tanks and trained tank crews long before the West will. Countries like the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Canada could keep training new tank crews for years if they needed to.

Even in the unlikely event that Trump was reelected, I don't think that Europe would stop funding, supporting and training Ukrainians. And I think China abandoning Russia is more likely than Trump being elected.
The Old Man of Storr

Bend it like Repka wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:47 am Why should I stop and allow you free reign on your twisted Pro Putin propaganda and excuse making.

Not going to happen I'm afraid.

I'm not the only one questioning your credibility by the way....
It's not about giving anyone ' Free Rein ' , Bendy , it's about having a free discussion about the Russo-Ukraine War , I have never insulted you or questioned your ' Credibility ' - I might question your spelling and your grammar on occasion but I'll never question your credibility , that would be rude of me .

Anyway , this from Forbes back in November 2022 -

'' There might be just one big ship left in the Ukrainian navy—the amphibious landing vessel Yuri Olefirenko.

She might be old and ugly and crude, but it’s possible Yuri Olefirenko is playing an important role in arguably the most important Ukrainian offensive operation in the aftermath of the mid-November liberation of Kherson. ''

I'm sad to report that the Yuri Olefirenko is no more -

This from Sputnik International a few hours ago - it's also on Twitter if you don't like Sputnik International -

'' MOSCOW (Sputnik) - The Russian forces have destroyed the last Ukrainian warship in the port of Odessa, the Russian Defense Ministry said on Wednesday. ''
On May 29, as a result of a strike by a high-precision weapon of the Russian aerospace forces at .. the port of Odessa, the last warship of the Ukrainian naval forces, Yuri Olefirenko, was destroyed,” the ministry said in a statement. ''
The Old Man of Storr

alf git wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 amNobody.

The ' Nobodies ' are free to ignore my posts .
Bend it like Repka

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:33 am It's not about giving anyone ' Free Rein ' , Bendy , it's about having a free discussion about the Russo-Ukraine War , I have never insulted you or questioned your ' Credibility ' - I might question your spelling and your grammar on occasion but I'll never question your credibility , that would be rude of me .
You see, I don't think questioning your credibility in a discussion is rude. Calling you an idiot, a fool or a muppet would be rude.

But saying to a person who has already stretched "discussion" on a war to include God and the Pope, and blamed the Americans more than Russia, that their final straw of credibility is gone when they chose to say they have some level of trust in a murdering dictator?

That's not rude, just fact.
alf git

Post by alf git »

Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the UN Security Council meeting on Ukraine.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ty-council

Thank you, President, and I thank Director General Grossi for your briefing.

Since the start of its full-scale invasion, Russia’s reckless actions at nuclear facilities across Ukraine have threatened the safety of Ukrainians and the international community.

Let me be clear, Russia’s control of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant is illegal and continues to pose a serious threat to the facility’s safe and secure functioning.

The IAEA’s February report confirmed the continued presence of military personnel and activity across the site, and described a situation that is “dangerous, precarious and challenging”.

Unauthorised military vehicles and stores sit in turbine halls. Landmines in the vicinity of the plant endanger Ukrainian operating staff and delay maintenance work. Supply chains and associated logistics continue to be severely impacted by the conflict, and off-site power supplies remain vulnerable.

New imagery shows Russian forces have established sandbag fighting positions on the roofs of several of the six reactor buildings. This indicates they have integrated the actual reactor buildings, of Europe’s largest nuclear power plant, into tactical defence planning.

Russia’s actions have violated all of Director General Grossi’s ‘seven pillars of nuclear safety and security.’

We’ve always been clear that as long as Russia’s illegal control of the plant continues, its safe and secure operation cannot be ensured.

As the Director General said, the situation simply cannot go on. I thank him and his colleagues at the IAEA for their bravery and ceaseless efforts to support nuclear safety and security in Ukraine, together with the Ukrainian Government.

We continue to support the IAEA’s work in Ukraine and its efforts to ensure the safe and secure use of nuclear technology around the world.

We recognise Director General Grossi’s efforts to maintain safety at the Zaporizhzia plant including through his five principles, as part of a solution that respects Ukraine’s sovereignty.

I pay tribute too to the bravery, professionalism and resilience of Ukrainian staff at the plant who continue to work tirelessly under duress.

President, the situation at Zaporizhzhia is entirely of Russia’s making.

Russia can resolve this situation at any time. It should withdraw its troops from the plant and from all of Ukraine.

Thank you.
The Old Man of Storr

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:36 pm You see, I don't think questioning your credibility in a discussion is rude. Calling you an idiot, a fool or a muppet would be rude.

But saying to a person who has already stretched "discussion" on a war to include God and the Pope, and blamed the Americans more than Russia, that their final straw of credibility is gone when they chose to say they have some level of trust in a murdering dictator?

That's not rude, just fact.
I don't want to fall out with anyone on this Forum and that includes you , Alf , Evil , Hetfield , MB and everyone who holds a different opinion to mine - if you couldn't see that my ' God + Pope ' remark was a joke [ as I have explained already ] then there's nothing else I can do .

American foreign policy has been responsible for far more deaths than that of Russia and China combined so please don't try the Murdering Dictator malarkey with me - Putin has tried reaching out to the US on more than one occasion , they've tried joining NATO on at least 3 occasions only to be blocked by the US - I truly believe that the US need Russia [ and now China ] as the last remaining bogeyman , someone they can go to war with by proxy or otherwise - the US have never had to defend their own country during wartime [ unless you count the Independence War ] , they've lost most wars they've undertaken yet they keep that Military Industrial Complex of theirs churning over .

Was interesting to listen on R4 this very morning that the US are now telling the UK to turn down our rhetoric regarding attacking Russia outwith Ukraine - funnily enough the BBC main News aren't touching it but R4 did .

I'm getting the feeling that some people don't want to hear what I have to say while a few others [ possibly a tiny minority ] consider what I have to say worth debating - when you call my credibility into question I feel you're trying to shut down the debate , and that's fine with me , if I'm upsetting you or making you angry then I apologise , it's truly not my intention - it's just a difference of opinion that's all and I don't think it's worth falling out with my fellow Kumbers - I'd rather remain on good terms with each and every one of you and by me posting on here I feel I'm not achieving that . No one is going to appeal to everyone but I've always tried to be friendly and pleasant to everyone but this thread is bringing out the worst in me and many of you .

I've said this before but this time I'll try to stick by my word - this will be my last post on the matter , you won't hear my views on the war in Ukraine from now on [ you've won if you like ] -

There have been a few attempts at mediation , the latest coming from China , Li Hui visited Germany , Poland , Ukraine and Russia [ I may have missed out some country or other ] to discuss ending the war or trying to find some solution or other - guess which country objected ? That's right , the good old US of A so back to the Drawing Board we go .

It's my belief that the US will give Ukraine one last throw of the dice and that will come in the form of the Spring Counteroffensive - if Ukraine are successful I believe the US and NATO will continue to supply Ukraine with whatever it takes to drive Russia out - if they're unsuccessful I think the US will call for Peace Talks which will inevitably lead to loss of territory for Ukraine as I have explained before - whether they [ Russia ] will agree to Ukraine joining the EU will remain to be seen but Putin has said in the past he had no objections to that , it was Ukraine joining NATO that was the big ' No No ' . It's possible that Western Ukraine will be allowed to join NATO but the Crimea will remain Russian - whether the Donbas comes under control of Russia or become independent , who knows ?

I think the Ukraine offensive will start soon - it's either imminent or perhaps mid-June - I think it'll be what decides this war .

And that , my friends is it - no more of this thread for me .

I wish all of you the best of health and an end to this horrible war . :newthumb:
alf git

Post by alf git »

Reports that the Russian not Russians who were all definitely killed last week are at it again.

Bend it like Repka

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:40 am I've said this before but this time I'll try to stick by my word - this will be my last post on the matter , you won't hear my views on the war in Ukraine from now on [ you've won if you like ] -
And off he flounces.

I've not won, I'm not trying to win. But I have challenged falsehoods you have put up. All I've done is asked for facts and clarifications, which generally are not forthcoming.

If you hold strong views you should have the ability to back them up.

Expecting to post without challenge on a news thread is naive.
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

I regularly have to force myself not to post on this thread or get into fights, because this war makes me very angry and I need somewhere to vent. But on the other hand, I don't want 90% of my post on this forum to be on this thread, or get into fights with people who are probably perfectly nice but misguided.

But if anyone's wondering why people get so angry about this invasion, there are many many examples I could post, but here's one.

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

That's it DD. When you see and hear the stories of what has happened in the occupied zones (the ones we know about once liberated), removes any what ifs and America bad etc etc for me. Then the missile strikes far from the frontlines and far from any military targets.

That this can happen in 2023 makes my blood boil.

There was an interesting comment on the Battlefield Ukraine podcast about how Russia has got a lot of leeway due to the Second World War and how "they won it for us with their blood". That reputation seems to be tarnished more than ever and combined with new historical studies of the second world war which call that into question (the importance of economics, whether we should celebrate a dictator who was happy to sacrifice millions of his own people, often unnecessarily).

Seeing how the modern Russian army conducts itself cannot help but make me think that they are really the descendents of the massacres in Poland and the mass rape on the road to Berlin rather than our previous staunch allies which they are portrayed as.
MB

Post by MB »

Looks like the Ukrainian counter offensive may be going West rather than East!

Also seeing talk of Polish special forces and Military intelligence operating in Belarus and perhaps paving the way for a coup.

It would be very ironic if the result of the Ukrainian invasion is Russia ending up with less influence in the region and an even longer border with NATO!

Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

MB wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:01 am
There was an interesting comment on the Battlefield Ukraine podcast about how Russia has got a lot of leeway due to the Second World War and how "they won it for us with their blood". That reputation seems to be tarnished more than ever and combined with new historical studies of the second world war which call that into question (the importance of economics, whether we should celebrate a dictator who was happy to sacrifice millions of his own people, often unnecessarily).

Seeing how the modern Russian army conducts itself cannot help but make me think that they are really the descendents of the massacres in Poland and the mass rape on the road to Berlin rather than our previous staunch allies which they are portrayed as.
Millions of Russians dies in the Second World War due in no small part because of their leader's utter contempt for the lives of his people. For Stalin read Putin. An utterly evil regime. If history teaches us one thing it is that Russia can't be trusted. Let's not fall for their bullsh*t any more.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

More evil nazi children attacked by glorious Russian freedom fighters
Twenty people have been injured - and it is feared that others are trapped - after an alleged Russian strike in Ukraine's central city of Dnipro.

Video shared by President Volodymyr Zelensky showed rescuers searching the remains of a two-storey building.

Another official said five of the victims were children and that a man had been pulled from the rubble.

Explosions were also reported in other parts of Ukraine on Saturday. Russia has not commented on the latest events.

However, it has previously denied targeting civilians during its invasion of the neighbouring country.

Fires broke out following the alleged strike in a northern district of Dnipro, according to the regional governor.

Serhiy Lysak added that five children were among the victims - with the condition of three boys assessed as being serious.

more...
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2191 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

2 Yr old child died...pulled from the rubble :angryred:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Dimension Diver wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:34 am It's things like this that suggest to me that Ukraine winning is inevitable. World War Two was basically over when the US declared war. There was no way that Japan and Germany could compete with the combined industrial power of the US, UK and the USSR.

Likewise, Russia would never be able to compete with the West's industrial, technological and training capacity. Russia will run out of tanks and trained tank crews long before the West will. Countries like the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Canada could keep training new tank crews for years if they needed to.

Even in the unlikely event that Trump was reelected, I don't think that Europe would stop funding, supporting and training Ukrainians. And I think China abandoning Russia is more likely than Trump being elected.

Yeah, that's a great post. Putin has taken on the Man City of the military world
MB

Post by MB »

Stay classy Russia... firing incendiary rounds on their own territory...