Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by wolf359 »

fmgod wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:57 pm People in big groups at the gym, yeah 2/3 fine for sets etc, any more than that, grow up, it's pointless it's the gym not a social club, split up in two groups and then one can do lat pull down etc, one row and swap
Add to that young lads who stand in groups around equipment, usually on their phone seemingly permanently ’resting’, they hardly seem to actually do anything (other than eyeing up girls) .

Bloody expensive social club.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

wolf359 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:12 pm Add to that young lads who stand in groups around equipment, usually on their phone seemingly permanently ’resting’, they hardly seem to actually do anything (other than eyeing up girls) .

Bloody expensive social club.
Yes, the 10 minute rests between sets do annoy me when I'm waiting for someone to finish.

All comes down do people being so obsessed with their phones and potentially missing out on something that they can't bear to let it go for a half an hour whilst in the gym.

I'd love the entire internet to go down for a few days globally, just to watch the panic amongst those who see it as the be all and end all.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I'm generation X. I was informed many years ago that future generations would be leaving me behind when it came to technology.

It hasn't really turned out like that as generation Z appear to keep coming to me to fix their issues. Turns out that, beyond social media and gaming, they're not actually that tech savvy at all. The only real change is that working technology is just taken for granted a lot more
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:32 pm It hasn't really turned out like that as generation Z appear to keep coming to me to fix their issues.
Amen BH. Seems a trait from tech support that they can't even be bothered to 'JFGI' - had to explain to someone this week how to find out a client domain joined machine's hostname via simple ping -a or nslookup. We're finding 2nd/3rd level support teams are more and more being involved in solving really basic stuff over the last few years, customer support over tech nous is definitely a factor.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:32 pm I'm generation X. I was informed many years ago that future generations would be leaving me behind when it came to technology.

It hasn't really turned out like that as generation Z appear to keep coming to me to fix their issues. Turns out that, beyond social media and gaming, they're not actually that tech savvy at all. The only real change is that working technology is just taken for granted a lot more
I’m genX also. I agree ‘we’ are more tech savvy than those younger than us. I believe it is because end user goods ‘just work’. If you asked the average 16 year old gamer to manually install a game, modify config files, manually add maps they be knackered. We were at the forefront of discovery and we as a generation learned so much.

Building machines, having to configure FSB, voltage and multipliers via jumpers etc. it’s all a bit too easy these days (imho).

I train apprentices (first line support, mainly late teens) many are great kids, bright and keen to learn but they just don’t have the interest and ‘wonder’ of tech that I do.

Kids/teens today are end users with (mainly) little interest of what’s under the hood.
Last edited by wolf359 on Mon May 29, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

wolf359 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:05 pm I’m genX also. I agree ‘we’ are more tech savvy than those younger than us. I believe it is because end user goods ‘just work’. If you asked the average 16 year old gamer to manually install a game, modify config files, manually add maps they be knackered. We were at the forefront of discovery and we as a generation learned so much.

Building machines, having to confider FSB via jumpers etc. it’s all a bit too easy these days (imho).

I train apprentices (first line support) many are great kids, bright and keen to learn but they just don’t have the interest and ‘wonder’ of tech that I do.

Kids/teens today are end users with (mainly) little interest of what’s under the hood.
Feck me reading all that I must be generation A :grin:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

ageing hammer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:08 pm Feck me reading all that I must be generation A :grin:
You're just like a bloody teenager, ageing...
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Samba wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:13 pm You're just like a bloody teenager, ageing...
Circle of life. Dribbling and soft food await.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

FFS- just relalised that my sister has arranged my mums funeral and wake the same day as we play in the Cup final- fuming!
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Indy, I'm sorry to hear of your Mums passing.

Was she interested in West Ham in any way? Hopefully the players can do you both proud!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

jastons wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:42 pm Indy, I'm sorry to hear of your Mums passing.

Was she interested in West Ham in any way? Hopefully the players can do you both proud!
Thanks Jastons. She was nominally a WHU fan and I too hope the players do us proud.

But I won't be watching it live. :swear:
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Sorry to hear of your Mum's passing Indy. All the best.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

See Al Pacino is having another kid at age 83. Totally irresponsible in my book.
Dave Hedgehog
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

SoulCircus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:41 am See Al Pacino is having another kid at age 83. Totally irresponsible in my book.
Just when he thought he was out...
Samba

Post by Samba »

WHU Independent wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:36 pm FFS- just relalised that my sister has arranged my mums funeral and wake the same day as we play in the Cup final- fuming!
Well, if that doesn't ensure that we win, nothing will, Indy. :heart:
Samba

Post by Samba »

That f*cking long-haired little b*stard in the Argos ad, with her mocking, pisstaking face & words...
Not sure why she winds me up so much, IT'S A F*CKING PUPPET.......
Samba

Post by Samba »

Once again, recycling.
Packaging that doesn't state anywhere on it, which wheely bin it should go in. What am I, a f*cking mind-reader? Do I have to guess? If you can't be bothered to print where stuff should go, it's going in the dirty (non-recycling) bin.

On the same subject. A while ago, my local authority announced that we could now put glass jars & bottles in the recycling wheely bin, rather than saving up a collection to remember to take to a supermarket car park glass bins, sometime. However, you weren't allowed to put broken glass in your wheely bin.
What did the bright sparks at the council think would happen when said bin then gets turned upside down & contents crash into the bin lorry?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Chuck it all in the black bin mate. Problem solved.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

Samba wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:23 pm That f*cking long-haired little b*stard in the Argos ad, with her mocking, pisstaking face & words...
Not sure why she winds me up so much, IT'S A F*CKING PUPPET.......
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

I appear to be getting RSI in my mouse hand. :angryred: