Summer 2023/24 Transfer Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Re: Summer Rebuild 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by YorksHammer »

I'm not sure how much he would cost, but I think Enes Unal would do well for us. Really hard working, good finisher, runs off the last man but very comfortable with his back to goal.

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

MB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:59 pm We scored plenty and finished 6th and 7th with Antonio leading the line. We don’t need a potential 20 goal man up top, we need someone who helps make us a 60+ goal team. I think the clubs and fans have become obsessed with the idea that our finishing is the problem when, IMO, it is much wider than that.
That's true to a degree.

Our finishing is well under par, but our general efficiency in promising situations is up the spout as well.

One of the key things that should be an easy win , is improving on this batch of results away from home:

Forest 0-1
Everton 0-1
Leicester 1-2
Leeds 2-2
Southampton 1-1

(Can probably add - Chelsea 1-2, Palace 3-4, Wolves 0-1)

The only good result was 4-0 at Bournemouth.

Five points from nine away games against some utter dross in the bottom half.

Crying out for some added solidity at the back in some games, and much greater quality in the attacking third in most. It isn't just about the #9, it's about all the misfiring attacking mids behind them.

Can't help pondering how different the season may have looked had Lanzini or Benrahma taken the early season penalties at Forest and Liverpool.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 269 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

There was reports of Sully getting a Director of Football in. Will we wait until they arrive, assuming this person is in place this summer, before we start signing players or will Moyes be saying to Sully, we need x player in?

Will Sully be here with rumours of takeover talk? Rumours of Moyes going after final?

Waiting til after the final next week doesn't leave us long to replace/fill/get in new players and get a pre season in. Still why worry about that, nevered really bothered us before.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3024 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

MB wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:59 pm The inconsistency in front of goal is a big problem. Think he has missed more “big chances” than our whole team this season!

While Antonio has problems with his finishing; they are predictable problems which you can then compensate for in the types of chances you look to create.

Just depends how much of Nunez’s problem is mental from the pressure of playing for Liverpool as he works hard and gets in the right positions so you can see why we were interested. Just feels a big risk to me at the likely asking price.

I do tend to agree with AH’s comment on the previous page. We scored plenty and finished 6th and 7th with Antonio leading the line. We don’t need a potential 20 goal man up top, we need someone who helps make us a 60+ goal team. I think the clubs and fans have become obsessed with the idea that our finishing is the problem when, IMO, it is much wider than that.
It's relative surely.
I'd put money Nunez is a better finisher and more constant on front of goal than Antonio.

It's not something that can really be measured as its difficult to actually compare the type of chances.
Antonio's good work as a goal scorer comes in the 6 yard box imo.
He does really well getting on the end of balls into that area. Little toe to take it past the keeper. Headers also.

Outside of the 6 yard box I'd prefer probably 5 or 6 of our players to be in a position to take a shot than Antonio.

But as you say, it isn't really just his goals that we need to replace. Its his impact on a defence and an ability to get us up field

Nunez would be a huge step up for me. But alas probably unobtainable.
Last edited by El brooko79 on Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3173 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

He’s definitely the current “prime” of what Moyes seems to want. Embolo kinda in the same area, Thuram another but both might be more Arnie that Mic, really.

I don’t think replacing Mic is impossible, I just think it’s very difficult because those players, players who can be almost two men up front at once, they’re coveted everywhere. Most clubs play with one striker, most clubs want someone who can enable their wide players to score.

Even at the top end, Man United are looking at strikers who are better at bringing others in than they are scoring. They are right to look at Kane as maybe the best at bringing both together.

Flip side of Spurs selling Kane is that they probably dip into our higher end targets.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

Mitchell if he comes in from Monaco, may bring Embolo with him..
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

S-H wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:32 pm Mitchell if he comes in from Monaco, may bring Embolo with him..
Is he coming ? I haven’t seen this reported likely by anyone
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Improve the service.

On the left you have Benrahma who seems to alternate between cutting inside and shooting, or cutting inside and crossing the ball straight into the keepers arms.

On the other is Bowen who does occasionally put a good ball across on his weaker foot. Weirdly they're better than his inswinging crosses on his favoured foot, which are generally rubbish. Most of the time though he's busy trying to weave his way infield so he can get a shot away.

We have Rice and Soucek who aren't really creators of chances.

Cresswells crossing also isn't what it used to be.

The delivery of our set-pieces generally isn't very good.

It's no surprise that our strikers are feeding off scraps or struggling to get into the game.

If we aren't going to improve the quality of that service then MB is probably right and we're better off signing a striker that causes havoc, works hard, and links up well with others rather than actually scoring lots of goals. We can have 2 wide players that run and shoot, and a striker that assists them and creates space.
Whu-tang clan
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by Whu-tang clan »

Morten Hjulmand.
Never seen a minute of him play besides videos on youtube but he has the most interceptions per 90 according to fbref. Based on the video he reminds me a lot of Rice two or three years when he was more defensively oriented, especially with his tackling technique.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Roma selling Tammy says telegraph breaking news can imagine we would take a look
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3195 likes
Total likes: 2330 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:55 pm Improve the service.

On the left you have Benrahma who seems to alternate between cutting inside and shooting, or cutting inside and crossing the ball straight into the keepers arms.

On the other is Bowen who does occasionally put a good ball across on his weaker foot. Weirdly they're better than his inswinging crosses on his favoured foot, which are generally rubbish. Most of the time though he's busy trying to weave his way infield so he can get a shot away.
It's a chicken and egg situation though.

Our wide players may be poor crossers, but there's also little point in swinging in a dangerous ball to Antonio (not a great header of the ball) when he's usually on his own surrounded by three or four defenders.

People get frustrated with Benrahma not crossing first time, but I'm pretty sure that's under instruction - we don't really have an aerial threat in the box unless Soucek gets up there too, which is not the greatest of tactics.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Mats Wieffer

Get this guy in to play alongside Rice and and have Paqueta operating in front of them, if Rice leaves, then we have his replacement already here..

https://fbref.com/en/players/4876c9ab/Mats-Wieffer

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mats-wi ... ler/415381

How he compares to Rice, Paqueta and Soucek

https://www.squawka.com/en/comparison-m ... UOjWUmM8h9

Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

If we're talking about an unobtainable Nunez, we may as well also talk about unobtainable 'second fiddle' Alvarez.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Marky wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:52 pm Is he coming ? I haven’t seen this reported likely by anyone
No idea..
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Marky wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:18 pm Roma selling Tammy says telegraph breaking news can imagine we would take a look
Yep. Get him.
Sorted.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

You could easily recycle the Scamacca money on Abraham and still have a bit of loose change left over
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

If we lose Scamacca and one of either Antonio or Ings and replace with two from;

Abraham
Iheanacho
Gyokeres
Piroe

We will be doing very well imo.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Has there been any suggestion as to which club Scamacca is headed to? It sounded to me like from EVH that a deal was pretty much done.
S-H

Post by S-H »

steveyrockstar wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:36 pm Has there been any suggestion as to which club Scamacca is headed to? It sounded to me like from EVH that a deal was pretty much done.
Don't think so, but interesting that Abraham has now been made available..

Coincidence?