Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by alf git »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:18 pm I'm told it rained at Monaco. It must have been a really exciting race then. Right?
54 laps of nothing happening. Bit of rain. 24 laps of nothing happening but in the wet.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Verstappen this season is peak Schumi and LH44

The best bit from Monaco was that everyone got a good look at the RedBull floor when Perez's car was lifted up and away.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

wolf359 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:25 pm I still want it ditched as a race. The pit lane is dangerous, it wouldn’t be allow anywhere else.
Likewise. The sport has massively outgrown the track, the place itself (whilst the undisputed capital of glamour) is really just a black hole for the super rich to get away with things they otherwise wouldn't.

We have to go there a fair bit on the boat I work on - from the moment you lose phone signal because of course Monaco, all 3 sq. miles of it, has it's own blocked network, to the moment you have to leave a huge tip on departure otherwise you'll never get a berth again, it's a generally unpleasant experience.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I've been there once working on a football match, and to be honest I was astonished at what rich people will put up with to avoid paying tax. Perpetual traffic jams, dog mess everywhere and so many tower blocks crammed right next to each other it looked like one of those ghastly sink estates of the seventies. If I could afford to live there there's no chance I would, I'd certainly be elsewhere.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

If those P1 times are representative I don't think I will bother watching on Sunday
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Gaz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:38 pm If those P1 times are representative I don't think I will bother watching on Sunday
Max will lap the field based on that. So far ahead and because of the cost cap (which they of course broke) no one can legally catch up.
szola

Post by szola »

Verstappen could end up going on holiday after the European rounds, pop back for the remaining rounds States side and collect his medal.

No-one is remotely close to him.... :alien:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

szola wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:45 pm Verstappen could end up going on holiday after the European rounds, pop back for the remaining rounds States side and collect his medal.

No-one is remotely close to him.... :alien:
Those red bull sandwiches are something special.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Does anyone know what kind of adjustments F1 drivers can make from the cockpit during a race? Just heard the commentary say something about Alonso's car taking some damage when he hit a gravel pit, and how he's been making changes while he laps. Is that purely in terms of how he's using the wheel, gears & pedals or are they able to change things like suspension settings or other stuff to adjust how the car is balanced and configured during the race? Or are changes of that type only available to the team mechanics?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I can see Verstappen winning every race this season (bar that one Perez had the temerity to win).

Red Bull being allowed to get away with their cheating has made the sport unwatchable. It’s far worse now than at any point when Schumacher or Hamilton were dominating.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:52 pm Does anyone know what kind of adjustments F1 drivers can make from the cockpit during a race? Just heard the commentary say something about Alonso's car taking some damage when he hit a gravel pit, and how he's been making changes while he laps. Is that purely in terms of how he's using the wheel, gears & pedals or are they able to change things like suspension settings or other stuff to adjust how the car is balanced and configured during the race? Or are changes of that type only available to the team mechanics?
They can't change suspension settings, they're fixed. They can change things like how much slip there is in the diff, the front/rear brake balance, engine braking/battery recharge and brake migration (dynamic brake balance dependent on pedal braking force).

I don't believe they can now alter engine power parameters during a race so no more 'Party Mode'. I'm sure Red Bull know exactly what's allowed :winker:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Why is social media F1 so full of thick people? The amount saying GR gained 5 places at the start when he gained them on track and then went off to avoid a collision, and took the FIA directed route back on to the trac? it's so ****ing toxic, and mostly with Dutch sounding names, too.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

-DL- wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:33 pm Why is social media F1 so full of thick people? The amount saying GR gained 5 places at the start when he gained them on track and then went off to avoid a collision, and took the FIA directed route back on to the trac? it's so ****ing toxic, and mostly with Dutch sounding names, too.
Massive ‘argument’ on Reddit about it also. George is the current ‘bogeyman’ of F1 on Social media. They’ve (largely) moved on from Lewis so (gay) George is now the target.

He was pushed off track, followed the rules, rejoined safely and then later overtook slower cars.. it’s a non-story to any sane person.

Edit - they are going after Brundle now, he’s racist and should be sacked apparently.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Utter snoozefest again yesterday.

Wonder if Verstappen even wishes the other teams were more competitive, he's basically just out for a relaxing Sunday afternoon drive at the moment. Probably kept exceeding track limits due to nodding off!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:49 pm

Edit - they are going after Brundle now, he’s racist and should be sacked apparently.
How? What's he done now?
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

-DL- wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:10 pm How? What's he done now?
He called Zhou Guanyu a "Chinaman", which is apparently a derogatory term. I did think to myself "did he just say that?" when I heard him on the comms, but didn't think he meant anything negative by it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Brundle was probably just trying to inject some excitement into F1 this year, as he knows we aren't going to get it with the racing.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

How dare he call a Man from China a China Man
szola

Post by szola »

Read about how Verstappen showed glimpses of just how fast the RB could be, towards the end when he made the fastest lap.

Breaching the costs cap doesn't make you as fast as him. Just look at Checo. The amount of nearly faultless weekends so far is not looking good for F1 as a sport, just as when Marquez was dominating MotoGP.

Only an accident or braindrain from RB can stop them in the coming seasons.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

szola wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:50 am Read about how Verstappen showed glimpses of just how fast the RB could be, towards the end when he made the fastest lap.

Breaching the costs cap doesn't make you as fast as him. Just look at Checo. The amount of nearly faultless weekends so far is not looking good for F1 as a sport, just as when Marquez was dominating MotoGP.

Only an accident or braindrain from RB can stop them in the coming seasons.
It's all about the car not the driver.. Haven't you been paying attention to this thread :winker: