Old Pub Time Opening Hours

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Re: Old Pub Time Opening Hours

Post by rigoberts song »

Swan Ascot under Wychwood Cotswolds
Landlord got given the unofficial ok from the village Bobby and told no problems with the lock ins .The till was turned off you paid cash into a bag for your booze .smoking days so the pub was a thick haze you could barely see the dart board.
The rule was you left silently any noise you never got invited back .Used to on until abt 3am
Sad post script a young mum got murdered in the village and the local pc balllsed things up and got sacked. first murder where double jeopardy came into play and the guy got banged up.
Pubs a yuppie foodie place now.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

You always knew when the pubs were shut on a Sunday as you'd here the claxton of the sea-food van as it came in to the street as we were sitting down for Sunday dinner.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

When we first arrived on Skye our local pub would shut at 10.30 pm even on New Year's Eve so that we could ' All go home to see the bells in ' - Saturday nights shut early [ 10.30 pm ] to observe the Sabbath - then slowly but surely things began to change , not sure what caused it , more incomers , different attitudes ? Think if you had a band playing or some disco or other you could get a late licence - I believe our local now stays open till at least midnight on NYE but I haven't been down there in ages .

I do remember Sunday lunchtime being pretty special down in England during my 10 years there - a long walk in the countryside would always coincide with opening times in the various Hertfordshire pubs we'd visit - Happy Daze .
carlokilkennie
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by carlokilkennie »

One side of Kilburn High Road is Brent the other side is Camden. Brent side pubs closed at half ten during the week and Camden side pubs closed at eleven. Many dangerous crossings were taken 🍻🤣
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Wee bit before my drinking career but heard about this from the 'elders', Belfast having likely more draconian Sunday licensing than anywhere else meant a session was impossible.

The hardcore booked a return walk-on fare on the Stranraer ferry, the fully licensed Stranraer ferry that is...2+ hours sailing to Scotland, stay onboard for the turnaround (though the bar shut, so fill the table!) then 2+ hours back = A full Leo Sayer on the (almost) high seas.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

We had several local pubs that opened for a couple of hours for Sunday lunch but didn't open at all Sunday evening and a couple that didn't open at all on Sunday. As I recall they used to open 5,30 pm until 10.30 during the week and until 11 Friday and Saturday where I grew up.

One of the reasons that we used to love Sunday cricket, bars open all day. :scarfer:
Suffolk Iron
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Suffolk Iron »

12 til 2 on a Sunday, drop the washing off for service wash on the way, in The Wentworth Arms at 12.05, Sunday St. Ivel, (5 pints for those old enough) pick up laundry, collect Birds Eye roast dinner from local shop, get home, watch Big Match while eating, go to bed, get up, get ready, back in pub at 7.00. :smiler:
LittleChris
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by LittleChris »

All a bit of a blur but there was a certain boozer in Stratford where we'd arrive at about noon on Sunday following a ( brief ) kick about in the Atherton Centre and leave as people were waiting for their buses to work the following morning. We'd also spent a large part of the previous day in the aforementioned place. Pretty sure 80% of my wages ended up with Charringtons :winker:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 619 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Patsy Belgium wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:09 pm The Railway tavern Stratford aka the early house
full of old bill at 6am
Blimmin eck yes. Not a great time but was working night shifts in a factory and living on Clay's Lane Co-Op housing and went there one morning after shift. Pints and playing pool. Don't recall any Old Bill.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

IIRC correctly, back in the day it was 10:30 pm closing time in Canning Town, 11 :00 pm in Poplar.

Cue drinking n the Bridge House Canning town till 10:30 and then running accross Canning Town bridge to Poplar - with a belly full of beer - to have a beer in either The iron Bridge Tavern or the Aberfeldy.

Used to do it every weekend for years.
LittleChris
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by LittleChris »

vietnammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:25 pm Blimmin eck yes. Not a great time but was working night shifts in a factory and living on Clay's Lane Co-Op housing and went there one morning after shift. Pints and playing pool. Don't recall any Old Bill.
Lived on the Co-Op too ( unofficially cos was in her name ). Good days
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Fond memories of visiting an uncle who lived in North Wales, in his county the pubs weren't allowed to open on a Sunday so enterprising groups of locals used to go over the border (either to England or a Welsh county that allowed Sunday drinking).
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Remember being in Berwick one time having a few beers little pub crawl round town....bout 10.15 everyone starts to leave...
weird..boozers were shutting at 11,... but nip over the Border to Scotland mile or so up the road they stayed open later....ahhh... :grin:

Also being on Stornaway only to find out Pubs don't open on Sundays,really rigid with it, religious thing.....some open up now tho.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

First bar job I had when I was 18 in 1985 was 40 hours a week in a proper local pub un Staines: split shifts 11-3 and 7 to 11. By the time I'd gone home, had lunch as a bit of a rest, it was time to go back again for the evening session.
The Beehive was a proper pub, with 3 bars that had no connecting doors: you had to leave each bar by the outside door and walk in through the front door o fthe othe bar:
The Public bar was very spit and sawdust: workers used to pop in for a post-work pint o r4 still in their overalls/work clothes. Rough and ready but decent people.
The saloon bar was full of commuters: suits and ties and carpets. They could get shirty if you weren't serving quick enough for them.
The games room was pool, darts and bar billiards. There was a 'Jug and bottle' (off licence) with a separate door and corridor leading to the bar but not IN any of the bars too.. that had closed a few years before through competition from regular Offys.

The lanlord's son went on to be in Hard-Fi IIRC.
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on
Has liked: 279 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Toulouse_Iron »

My Dad's old local in Mousehole, used to be the Ship Inn and regulars would sneak in round the back on Sunday Lunchtime, half an hour before opening time and have a pint before the tourists turned up and the landlord would put piping hot roast potatoes in bowls on the bar as bar snacks.
I'm actually drooling at the memory of this. Sunday lunchtime is definitely the best session.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2018 likes

Post by Shabu »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:39 am My Dad's old local in Mousehole, used to be the Ship Inn and regulars would sneak in round the back on Sunday Lunchtime, half an hour before opening time and have a pint before the tourists turned up and the landlord would put piping hot roast potatoes in bowls on the bar as bar snacks.
I'm actually drooling at the memory of this. Sunday lunchtime is definitely the best session.
I remember drinking at a pub in Woolwich that used to do this back in the mid 80s. Crunchy salted roast potatoes were the perfect compliment to a nice cold pint.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Shabu wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:33 am I remember drinking at a pub in Woolwich that used to do this back in the mid 80s. Crunchy salted roast potatoes were the perfect compliment to a nice cold pint.
Was told by my old landlord in a pub in Strood the salty tatties and peanuts on the bar gave people a thirst and so they drunk more
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Toulouse_Iron wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:35 am First bar job I

had when I was 18 in 1985 was 40 hours a week in a proper local pub un Staines: split shifts 11-3 and 7 to 11. By the time I'd gone home, had lunch as a bit of a rest, it was time to go back again for the evening session.
The Beehive was a proper pub, with 3 bars that had no connecting doors: you had to leave each bar by the outside door and walk in through the front door o fthe othe bar:
The Public bar was very spit and sawdust: workers used to pop in for a post-work pint o r4 still in their overalls/work clothes. Rough and ready but decent people.
The saloon bar was full of commuters: suits and ties and carpets. They could get shirty if you weren't serving quick enough for them.
The games room was pool, darts and bar billiards. There was a 'Jug and bottle' (off licence) with a separate door and corridor leading to the bar but not IN any of the bars too.. that had closed a few years before through competition from regular Offys.
I work in Staines and know this pub fairly well. Know a few guys who use it a fair bit. I used to go and watch the away West ham games in there. It hasn't changed much from when you worked there I reckon.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

kenthammer wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:33 am Was told by my old landlord in a pub in Strood the salty tatties and peanuts on the bar gave people a thirst and so they drunk more
Yep an old trick that,plenty over my way did that Sunday
Opening accompanied with a nice selection of seafood and cheese and biscuits.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

My old local used to lay on free bar food Sunday lunchtimes, roast potatoes, sausages, cubes of cheese and peanuts etc
I used to pile into them every Sunday after playing for the pub football team in the local Sunday League until a mate pointed out that most of the people eating the nibbles were men who had just taken a leak without washing their hands. After that I stuck to packets of Pork Scratchings and KP peanuts.
I used to love a Sunday session, staggering home to Mums Sunday roast and then snoozing on the sofa.