👋 Farewell, Gianluca Scamacca

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Re: ✍ Gianluca Scamacca

Post by YorksHammer »

Ah terrific, another thread derailed by two or three people with too much time on their hands who just want to bicker amongst themselves :asleep:

Shame we'll never see a fully fit, adjusted and adapted Scamacca for us.
Spirony
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Spirony »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:52 am Nope. Just an example that we as a club never were never fully prepare for the whole Scamacca experience. Once again didn't do our due dilligence in how to handle the player and his on- and off the field issus that come/csme with him. That's what bad or lacklustre recruitement looks like, when you don't get any healthy relationship with the player and his people and end of in such a clusterfuck like the situation of him dropping in and out of set dates for knee surgeries and agents dropping him also because of that. Not good. And no winners on the first look, when you're likely selling a big-money signing on after just 10 months.
Yet Moyes a manager with a reputation for not making a signing without huge amounts of due diligence was happy to sign off on him
Sorry I’m calling BS on this one
I am Legend
Has liked: 1603 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Moyes will probably be gone soon, Scamacca should wait and see who the new manager is and see if they can actually use a striker in their system.

If not he'll go and be a very good striker in Italy. Probably a good team who have numbers and movement around him.
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Moyes paid a lot of money for Scamacca for a reason and has seen him train. He knows what he is capable of and can build a team around him (or admit it was another transfer mistake?). I hope he does, the days of dour defensive (but necessary in a relegation scrap?) football should be behind us. With a new season and clean slate ahead of us, he can change to a more aggressive, ambitious system. The question is not just will he do it but whether Scamacca will want to try?
Last edited by Hamburger on Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:54 pm Ah terrific, another thread derailed by two or three people with too much time on their hands who just want to bicker amongst themselves :asleep:
Sorry, perhaps we should just constantly talk about how good looking he is instead?
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Hamburger wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:32 pm Moyes paid a lot of money for Scamacca for a reason and has seen him train. He knows what he is capable of and can build a team around him (or admit it was another transfer mistake?). I hope he does, the days of dour defensive (but necessary in a relegation scrap?) football should be behind us. With a new season and clean slate ahead of us, he can change to a more aggressive, ambitious system. The question is not just will he do it but whether Scamacca will want to try?
I don't remember being in a relegation scrap and somehow finishing 6th. Was it dour and defensive then? I certainly don't remember you complaining about it.

Why are we so quick to completely forget those first two seasons and fully commit to this 'Dinosaur Dave, only good for fighting relegation' nonsense?
I am Legend
Has liked: 1603 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:10 pm I don't remember being in a relegation scrap and somehow finishing 6th. Was it dour and defensive then? I certainly don't remember you complaining about it.

Why are we so quick to completely forget those first two seasons and fully commit to this 'Dinosaur Dave, only good for fighting relegation' nonsense?
We're talking about now and next season though aren't we? Not pre burnt out squad. That team is gone. None ever looked the same since burn out. Not Bowen, not Antonio, not Coufal, not Soucek.

He spent huge on a striker then refused to play him to his strengths. We saw glimpses in his first few months in ECL, with Paqueta feeding him centrally, scored some lovely goals. He was isolated, asked to live off scraps and long balls like he was Andy Carroll. Terrible management.

Luca will have blame too, after playing numerous times as a Carroll type, his heart and passion seemed to just die. Being in a new nation will do that too if its not going great. But in the end its up to him and Moyes to work hard and find the passion and desire.

I hope he stays but if not, a massive negative tick on Moyes.
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:10 pm I don't remember being in a relegation scrap and somehow finishing 6th. Was it dour and defensive then? I certainly don't remember you complaining about it.

I thought we were in the bottom 3 a couple times in March or April? Maybe I'm wrong. We weren't that dour when we finished 6th, didn't need to be. I don't think he's only good for fighting relegation, make a note of that, you have a habit of forgetting.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:32 pm Sorry, perhaps we should just constantly talk about how good looking he is instead?
Yes. Would be better than sitting around waiting for Dussel and Aztec to get a room.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:48 pm Yes. Would be better than sitting around waiting for Dussel and Aztec to get a room.
Tbh, it was there to be argued though. I'm not sure what purpose saying that Scamacca has played for 10 clubs was going to serve. 3 of them were as a schoolkid. 4 of them were on loan as a teenager/20 year old. If you're going to use that as a way to discredit him, then it's certainly going to be argued against. Whatever his other problems are, going on loan to play football as a teenager a few times has nothing to do with them. Unfortunately, just like Benrahma, Scamacca is going the way of pro/anti Moyes sentiment.

The bigger issue is the fact that we have a quality striker on our hands, that unfortunately isn't going to work for a variety of reasons. Going on loan to Ascoli as a 19 year old has absolutely 0 to do with it though...
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3052 likes
Total likes: 2693 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:54 pm I'm not sure what purpose saying that Scamacca has played for 10 clubs was going to serve.
As a sidenote.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I am Legend wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:34 pm He spent huge on a striker then refused to play him to his strengths. We saw glimpses in his first few months in ECL, with Paqueta feeding him centrally, scored some lovely goals. He was isolated, asked to live off scraps and long balls like he was Andy Carroll. Terrible management.
I once joked earlier in the season when it wasn't going well for us that in Training I could picture both Scamacca and Paqueta looking puzzled at each other after just showing everyone how good they are on the ball. Only for Moyes to then tell all the players to stop what they're doing before mapping out how we'll typically just get the ball out wide before sending over endless crosses in to the box, due to a stat that came out highlighting a high number of crosses that resulted in 0 goals at the time. Maybe it was a scenario that was more closer to the truth than first thought going by the latest comments from Antonio for the 2nd time now this season, that may well result in another decent quality young Striker leaving which is a real shame.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Taken from the summer rebuild thread....
EastVillageHammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:55 am Scamacca is off to Italy for north of what we paid for him. It’s been on the cards since he changed agents. Stick £40m in the kitty.
Making a profit an obvious positive but what a disappointing transfer.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Good to see him getting involved with his teammates, during the celebrations last night.

Please stay.
ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1589 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

S-H wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:29 am Good to see him getting involved with his teammates, during the celebrations last night.

Please stay.
I thought it less than ideal when I noticed he was the only player having his own shirt signed by the rest of the team...

Hoping I'm wrong!
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

He needs time, games under his belt and who knows, he could be just what we need with another European campaign coming.

Haven't seen enough of him to judge how good he really is.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:26 am I thought it less than ideal when I noticed he was the only player having his own shirt signed by the rest of the team...

Hoping I'm wrong!
Didn't see that..

:(
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:26 am I thought it less than ideal when I noticed he was the only player having his own shirt signed by the rest of the team...

Hoping I'm wrong!
EVH has already said that his off back to Italy. The whole squad likely knows this too
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Hoping I'm wrong!
Yep, like last day at school I thought

We will never know what could have been...
Uptonogood247
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Uptonogood247 »

I thought he looked kind of isolated during the celebrations last night. Just seemed to be stood on his own for most of time wandering around aimlessly. Like to see him stay but the body language said otherwise to me.