Things you've always wanted to know......

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Re: Things you've always wanted to know......

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:01 pm Couldn't you just run from the Hamilton Hall to the train each evening, Hummer? :wink:
Pfffh, Hamilton Hall...? FFS, I'm not on the social. Railway tavern if you so please.

It'd probably kill me tho. :grin:
Awooga_Iron
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Awooga_Iron »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:40 pm Cheers PJ, thing is that I can't see myself doing much running, well not for a while until I can get my CV levels up a bit (quite a bit tbh, what with my post pandemic timber). Mostly looking at building my core up a bit.
If you're doing resistance/free weights, I wouldn't spend big on running shoes. And much of the cardio kit doesn't need it either e.g. rowing machine. Or for that matter classes that might help your core like yoga/pilates. On the other hand, and as others said, if you are going to run, then buy decent shoes - go to a shop and get properly measured up, but be prepared to spend >£100.

Personally (and I have no qualifications in this area), if I was advising anyone wanting to shift a bit of timber, I would suggest finding an outdoor/physical activity that a. you enjoy and b. you can make a habit (regular days/times). Then remember the maxims "you can't outrun a bad diet" and "don't rely on willpower, rely on habits".
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:30 am Looking to make use of the free gym at work. Need to get myself some cheap trainers but am conscious of the fact that the last time I bought a pair of trainers they were somewhat narrow.

Any suggestions for buying reasonable trainers, on the cheap, that cater for wider-bodied persons?

Do those skater style trainers work ok for use at the gym?

Cheers
I have always had similar issues with trainers being too tight for me.

I can't wear Adidas or Nike because they pinch my feet.

A sales assistant about ten years ago told me that Asics are wider fitting.

I do a lot of walking and have been buying these now each year for about ten years and no issues with tightness.

Also as they are not the must have brands they end up always costing half the price of those others, about €70 or less :grin:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Saucony trainers are the most comfortable I have ever worn. Not the cheapest, but, if you're keen to get more active, its essential to do it in footwear that doesn't irritate you when wearing it.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Why are some beaches sandy & some beaches stony (or stoney)?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I rise weekdays at 5.30 am for work. I wake before the alarm at about 4.45 am and can snooze until the alarm goes off at 5.30 am

On weekends I don't set the alarm but still wake up around 5 ish which is annoying as I don't need to get up til about 10.

Last night I forgot to turn on the alarm and instead of waking around 5 ish as normal I wake at 7.30 and late for work :fsake:

How is it I wake at 5 without the alarm at weekends but when I need to wake up for work I sleep through ffs
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

It's actually a complex mathematical equation that's been proven.

Of the top of my head, I think it's something like "sleep / mc2 (hours - minutes / awake) x sleep during time - alarm going off + Saturday = gullible ****."
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:30 am Looking to make use of the free gym at work. Need to get myself some cheap trainers but am conscious of the fact that the last time I bought a pair of trainers they were somewhat narrow.

Any suggestions for buying reasonable trainers, on the cheap, that cater for wider-bodied persons?

Do those skater style trainers work ok for use at the gym?

Cheers
New Balance are generally on the wide side. Quite a range of price points. Acceptable wear for gym, running, and with a pair of jeans at the pub.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Yep - both Hoka and New Balance do a wide fit in many of their products.

I've also had no issue before with Decathlons stuff - they tend to be naturally quite wide
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Samba wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:08 pm Why are some beaches sandy & some beaches stony (or stoney)?

Good question and one I'll attempt to answer but before I do I'm going to tell you a little story -

Now I'm not sure how familiar you are with ' The Royal Charter ' ?

She was a Steam Clipper who plied her trade between Liverpool and Melbourne carrying mostly passengers - in October 1859 she was travelling back from Melbourne to Liverpool with a load of passengers and a consignment of gold on board and as she came up to the northern point of Anglesey the Captain was advised to pull into Holyhead until the storm passed over - old Thomas Taylor [ no , not that one ] decided he'd push on for Liverpool - as she went past Dulas the wind changed direction blowing her closer and closer to shore - as she approached Lligwy she dropped anchor but because Lligwy is a huge stretch of sand the anchors dragged [ some say they snapped ] and she drifted on towards Moelfre - now the coast off Moelfre is a different type altogether - rocky , stony with a smooth pebbly beach [ my Auntie Marie lived there ] - the 100 mile an hour winds dashed The Royal Charter on to the rocks and she began to break up - a brave member of the crew jumped into the waters and tried to establish a line for a Bosun's Chair or some form of rigging to get as many passengers to shore as possible and a few folk were actually rescued in this manner - however , most perished - over 450 souls were lost , no women or children were saved , just 37 men survived .
Had The Royal Charter floundered at Lligwy I'm guessing more folk would have survived and not been dashed to death on the sharp rocks of Moelfre , they might have been able to swim in the shallower seas off that sandy stretch of beach - it is said that many inhabitants of Moelfre became rich over night or at least over the next few days that followed , sadly my Auntie Marie wasn't one of them .

A certain Charles Dickens was sent up from London to report on the tragedy and when I was a youngster , old enough to drink there used to be a Menu hanging on the wall of The Ship Inn , Red Wharf Bay written in the hand of the famous author - when I last visited The Ship back in 2016 I asked the Barman who also happened to be the owner ' Where's the old Charles Dickens Menu that used to be here ? ' - ' Someone nicked it ' . Wish I'd thought of it back in the day when we were the only ones who drank there [ there again it wouldn't have been difficult to find the culprit would it ? :grin: ] .

Ok , so why are some beaches sandy [ like Lligwy ] while others are rocky , stony or pebbly [ like Moelfre ] ?

Well , a few factors can play their part , the shallowness of the sea [ it's very shallow out in the sea off Lligwy ] - the energy behind the waves [ now you'd think the higher the energy of the waves the more sand , not so , the higher the energy the more chance of it being a rocky shore apparently ] - erosion brings about pebbly beaches - sandy beaches tend to have gentle sloping land next to them , steeper coasts tend to have stony beaches .

Hope that helps ,

The Blarney Stone Snogger xx
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Nature of the local rock vs. longshore drift.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:34 am I rise weekdays at 5.30 am for work. I wake before the alarm at about 4.45 am and can snooze until the alarm goes off at 5.30 am

On weekends I don't set the alarm but still wake up around 5 ish which is annoying as I don't need to get up til about 10.

Last night I forgot to turn on the alarm and instead of waking around 5 ish as normal I wake at 7.30 and late for work :fsake:

How is it I wake at 5 without the alarm at weekends but when I need to wake up for work I sleep through ffs
Drink... Or have a smoke.

Not sure if it'd work, but since giving up the weed I can't sleep for love nor money
Samba

Post by Samba »

The difference between TOMoS's answer & Tenner's answer... :crylol:
Both appreciated, though.
Samba

Post by Samba »

-DL- wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:35 pm It's actually a complex mathematical equation that's been proven.

Of the top of my head, I think it's something like "sleep / mc2 (hours - minutes / awake) x sleep during time - alarm going off + Saturday = gullible ****."
Silly sod.. :crylol:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Samba wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:43 pm The difference between TOMoS's answer & Tenner's answer... :crylol:
Both appreciated, though.
Yeah , but which one told the better story ? :grin:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I didn’t want to start a new thread about this but have I missed the KUMB Awards for this season whilst I have been up here on cloud nine??
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Pengland
Penaldo
Pessi

etc.

Anyone got any idea why people keep prefixing or transposing the first letter of names & places with "P" on social media?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:42 am Yeah , but which one told the better story ? :grin:
I couldn't tell you as I nodded off about halfway though yours . :smiler:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:16 am Pengland
Penaldo
Pessi

etc.

Anyone got any idea why people keep prefixing or transposing the first letter of names & places with "P" on social media?
It's simple really, Dan.

They're all c****
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

S-H wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:23 am It's simple really, Dan.

They're all *****
The people writing it, or the targets of their baffling wordplay?