Succession (potential spoiler alert)

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: Succession (potential spoiler alert)

Post by smuts »

D C wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:33 pm Top ending, nobody wins (not even Tom IMO) and all of their dreams are doomed. I cannot believe how successful a show without a single likeable character can be, just great from all involved
Mattson is a nutcase and has told Tom he's just there to be his "pain sponge" while he rips Waystar to shreds.

The only real "winner" was Roman who ended up where he started as a rich screwed up play boy with mummy and daddy issues and just accepted it.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Tom has been a pain sponge since episode one of the first season though hasn't he?

I guess you could say Gregg, the biggest snake of them all flip flopping from one side to another..

Remember he started out as a druggy working at an amusement park..
S-H

Post by S-H »

An exceptional show, expertly written, and wonderfully acted, who would have thought that Kieran Culkin and Matthew Macfadyen had it in them, both for me, stole the show.

The ending was about as perfect and end as you could hope for.

Will almost certainly go down as one of the best shows of all time.

Happy/sad that it's over.
S-H

Post by S-H »

The show was summed up perfectly in two scenes for me.

The kitchen scene at theirs mother's house, getting along, fooling around like children.

The moment during the vote when they broke awake from the vote, arguing, fighting, scrapping like children.

Logan was right about them all along.

They were not serious people.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:00 pm Been a few days now so going with spoilers.......

The ending with Shiv & Tom, what did you make of it?

My assumption was that Shiv was getting back with Tom, and almost now scared of him as he won, and is the new daddy? Missus reckons she done it as she just wants to be desperately close to the power seat, so a power move, where mine is just daddy issues.
She finally realized she would never run the company.

Her Dad didn’t give it to her, her brothers wouldn’t ever let her have it and her last shot, Mattsen pulled the rug at the 11th.

She reluctantly accepted the fall back position: Wife and mother.

The irony is she was probably the only one who had half a chance of making a go of it.

That’s how I saw it anyway.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:26 pm She was the most vile of the lot......then Greg.
I disagree. I think her stance against Mencken (‘Trump’) was at least in part genuine (she was kinda working for the Dems before the takeover transpired so I think her political leanings were legit) - perhaps the only semblance of morality in the whole show. She even had Kendall wobbling on that until her desperate lie was revealed.

Of course, Succession being Succesion the fact that it benefitted her muddies those particular waters somewhat. :D

Roman was the most immoral one, at least on the surface, and yet you probably ended up sympathizing with him more than anyone.

There was no black and white in that show. That’s what makes it so compelling.
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:39 pm Do we think Kendall kills himself at the end? That was my take away from that one final shot.
No. The loyal (and uniquely decent) body guard was there for a reason.

Kendall isn’t strong enough to whack himself. He was just confronting his own failure/inadequacy.

That’s what they all did at the end. In their own ways.

There was no succession. Logan didn’t want any of them to have it and he got his way as he always did,
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

S-H wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:49 am The show was summed up perfectly in two scenes for me.

The kitchen scene at theirs mother's house, getting along, fooling around like children.
For a fleeting moment, likeable.

They should’ve been allowed/allowed themselves to just be grateful kids with an inheritance but they were so desperate to please their - let’s face it abusive father - it basically destroyed their grip on reality.

I like to think, in a roundabout way, they got there in the end.
smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:58 pm No. The loyal (and uniquely decent) body guard
Apart from covering up Kendall's role in killing a waiter at the end of season one...
S-H

Post by S-H »

A few of us were talking about it in the the beer garden today, and one of the guys said said he felt sorry for the three kids?

Which every way it played out, I think that the last thing I'd feel towards any of them.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

smuts wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:20 pm Apart from covering up Kendall's role in killing a waiter at the end of season one...
Apart from that. :D
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Brilliant ending to a truly brilliant TV series. One of the best ever, and certainly the one with the best dialogue

I didn't want Matson to 'win' but i can see how that made the most sense from a story arc. Personally, I liked Kendall and so was willing for him...

I don't think there was a rubbish character in the whole programme, with every one playing a crucial part, but for me, Tom Wamsgambs was the best character

this is interesting...

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainm ... on-ending/