Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Re: Beer/Lager/Cider/Spirits/Wine.. Thread

Post by WHU Independent »

mushy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:05 am Neck Oil currently sells for £6.40 a pint in Frank's pub in Wanstead.
You don't know your born Indy.

'kin hell Mushy - that's unbelieveable!
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

So what's the beverage of choice for Wednesday?,Peronis out for starters
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 829 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

S-H wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:19 pm Image
That’s a good choice SH, though it has a very strange use by date. Apparently, by around 10:30 tonight, those Prague beers could be a little sweeter or very bitter.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

S-H wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:19 pm Image
Brewed in Burton-on-Trent under license and dumped into a green bottle so it goes skunky and tastes like a bag lady's period. :cried:
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

GCRO - what is the name of your YouTube channel mate with the beer reviews?

Got a few lagers in this week and went Czech to celebrate our two Czech winners plus the fact we brought the trophy home from Prague.

My Dad had bottles of Budvar in the fridge for when we watched the final on TV and I then bought some Pilsner Urquell in Asda which I didn’t find as drinkable.

Wanted to see if you had reviewed either of them or your thoughts - cheers.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Still haven't found a particularly interesting 0% cider - any suggestions?
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 545 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:25 pm Still haven't found a particularly interesting 0% cider - any suggestions?
Appletiser.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Roby wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:45 pm Pilsner Urquell in Asda which I didn’t find as drinkable.
Heresy to some, but I'm not a Pilsner Urquell fan either. Which is annoying as you can pick up 6 packs canned a couple of weeks ago for nothing in supermarkets. I know it's meant to be hoppy, but it has that funky aftertaste and aroma that i just don't love. Much prefer Budvar.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Patsy Belgium wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:34 pm Appletiser.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

You tried Stowford Press, Daniel sa?

https://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/product/s ... hol-cider/

A chum of mine was drinking it yesterday, although not 100% alcohol free (0.5%) it was lovely, and refreshing.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

S-H wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:14 am You tried Stowford Press, Daniel sa?

https://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/product/s ... hol-cider/

A chum of mine was drinking it yesterday, although not 100% alcohol free (0.5%) it was lovely, and refreshing.
Yeah, got a few bottles in the fridge. Definitely the best I've tried yet, especially with ice, but still not quite the cidery kick I'm looking for (possibly in vain).
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:34 pm Heresy to some, but I'm not a Pilsner Urquell fan either. Which is annoying as you can pick up 6 packs canned a couple of weeks ago for nothing in supermarkets. I know it's meant to be hoppy, but it has that funky aftertaste and aroma that i just don't love. Much prefer Budvar.
That aftertaste is Diacetyl which isn't too bad of a taste on English ales if allowed in moderation and Czech pilsner does have that as part of a characteristic but too much and it just doesn't taste good. I've noticed lately that Pilsner Urquell has more of that in there which ain't good. Like you I much prefer Budvar.
Roby wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:45 pm GCRO - what is the name of your YouTube channel mate with the beer reviews?
Here mate.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

"Heresy to some, but I'm not a Pilsner Urquell fan either"

Me neither - horrible stuff.

I just popped in my local for lunch. I noticed that they have two new bitters on plus London pride. One of them is Anarchy or some other solgan. I was driving so i stuck to soft drinks, but I will be going back in an hour or so to investigate these new ales.

I also drunk a skin full of Meantime's East End "lager" when we won the Euro cup, as did my fellow Camra mate, who is a borderline beer fascist. He really liked it as did I. Went down really well. It's a Lager beer with the body and taste of an ale. Works for me.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:22 am That aftertaste is Diacetyl which isn't too bad of a taste on English ales if allowed in moderation and Czech pilsner does have that as part of a characteristic but too much and it just doesn't taste good. I've noticed lately that Pilsner Urquell has more of that in there which ain't good. Like you I much prefer Budvar.
Diacetyl in an ale i don't mind. Have looked into it before and it has a butterscotch taste, right? I don't love it, but would still finish the pint. But in Urquell - man. I don't know if the rest of the brewing process affects it but I get an almost vegetative or eggy smell. And I have had this in pints in Czech, from cans that are literally a couple of weeks old...

Anyway - Budvar all day long.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Perfect Draft - worth the investment?
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Had a quiet afternoon at work yesterday so logged off at 3pm and binge watched a load of GCRO’s excellent YouTube beer reviews.

The one where he unloads both barrels on the crappy Carling was hilarious.

Personally didn’t think Heineken was anywhere near as bad as that though? I can remember when they used to do the old “normal” 3.4% Heiny and the stronger Export version. Then they scrapped them both in the UK and just made the normal red star labelled one stronger.

One beer I couldn’t see reviewed and always rated was the brown bottle (see - I learned something!) Cusquena from Peru. Seems to be hard to find in supermarkets now.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Right that's it, I can't take this Pilsner Urquell bashing any longer :crylol: :crylol:

I love the floral aromas, taste and the super bitter finish. Just makes me want more and more and more.

Thankfully, the Mudlark and the Old Thameside Inn, two quite simply superb pubs between London Bridge and Cannon St Railway Bridge have them on draught.

In the sun? Gorgeous :coolas:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

EugeneSpeed wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:11 am Diacetyl in an ale i don't mind. Have looked into it before and it has a butterscotch taste, right? I don't love it, but would still finish the pint. But in Urquell - man. I don't know if the rest of the brewing process affects it but I get an almost vegetative or eggy smell. And I have had this in pints in Czech, from cans that are literally a couple of weeks old...

Anyway - Budvar all day long.
Yeah Diacetyl is the creamy butterscotch type flavour that you get now and again in ales. Diacetyl is a characteristic of Czech pilsner but lately Pilsner Urquell seem to have gone over the top with it. The vegetative or eggy smell is probably what you're getting from the green bottles, the lightstruck chemical reaction with the hops produces that rotten vegetable smell and it's a real bugbear when brewers do that. There's no need for it.
jastons wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:10 pm Perfect Draft - worth the investment?
No mate, don't bother. It was OK when they first came out but the price now compared to normal cans and bottles just isn't worth it. There's a fair amount of wastage in the kegs so it isn't the great be-all-and-end-all of beer at home.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:25 pm Still haven't found a particularly interesting 0% cider - any suggestions?
Saw one in Sainsburys today - own label, £1.30, 0.9% so not zero.
Not tried it but reviews ain't terrible, even if it is own brand.