Europa League Final (31st May 8pm)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Re: Europa League Final (31st May 8pm)

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

I don't think it's Taylor's call anyway. As I understand it, one of the VAR guys is watching that view from above and behind the goal so that they can see exactly where the keeper is at the moment of contact.
Pob!
Has liked: 1062 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

VAR ordered it to be retaken due to "Encroachment" ..
The Straw
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 1409 likes

Post by The Straw »

Re: Taylor.

Yes he did well in the circumstances. And didn't deserve any grief from Roma at all. But isn't it curious that his best performance as a referee is in a game where he has no unconscious bias?

Because he is absolutely crap when refereeing domestically.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

Fully grown men screaming in the face of a football referee next to his wife and kids.

I want to be surprised and shocked, but I'm not in the slightest. Just very sad really isn't it.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

I cannot imagine walking up to the terminal building to see hundreds of Roma fans, with wife and kids in tow.

Disgraceful behaviour.

Also, whoever from UEFA thought it'd be a good idea to book him a flight at the same time as a flight to Italy (or Spain for that matter) probably needs assessing too.

Edit - just read on skysport.it that he even had a chair thrown at him. The press over here (Italy) is slaughtering the Roma fans for this too, for what it's worth.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2697 likes

Post by sendô »

JerseyHammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:12 am Also, whoever from UEFA thought it'd be a good idea to book him a flight at the same time as a flight to Italy (or Spain for that matter) probably needs assessing too.
Without checking, I'd imagine there's flights out of Budapest to various parts of England and Italy all throughout the day.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

I don’t think Taylor is a good ref and usually I’m highly critical of him but thought he was brilliant Wednesday night …… though I’ve never understood why English refs officiate differently in Europe as they do domestically.

The antics from Roma were appalling, all stems from the mythical, antichrist of football himself. Couldn’t give a monkeys what he’s allegedly like off the pitch, he is an abhorrent, vile human being who should have the book thrown at him.

His media lackies will still trivialise this in some weird distorted way. Geezers a ****er of the highest order, don’t care what hes won in the past – his brand of football is and has always been awful.

This performance is nothing new, Porto and Inter Milan were every bit as bad with this shithousery. His actions have consequences – looking forward to the day karma finally bites his arse.
RichV WHUFC
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by RichV WHUFC »

Absolutely agree, I hate his way of playing and conducting himself so much if he ever became West Ham manager I would take a few years off following us.
Pob!
Has liked: 1062 likes
Total likes: 695 likes

Post by Pob! »

Maureen charged by UEFA Insulting/Abusive language towards an official.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

Really awful behaviour. They wouldn't make the players walk through that cauldron of hate so why can't they extend the same courtesy to the officials
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 491 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

RichV WHUFC wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:33 am Absolutely agree, I hate his way of playing and conducting himself so much if he ever became West Ham manager I would take a few years off following us.
You wouldn't need to. He wouldn't last 6 months at West Ham.
BrumHammer
Has liked: 3529 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by BrumHammer »

Hopefully he's about to be called out by more prominent journalists
Zman39
Has liked: 103 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Zman39 »

How can Roma fans be so mad at the referee when he went against Var’s wishes to award a penalty for Sevilla? Mugs
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3177 likes
Total likes: 2316 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

BrumHammer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:31 pm Hopefully he's about to be called out by more prominent journalists
They never did for Ferguson and it's essentially the same playbook.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Touchline bans for managers are effectively pointless. Maureen needs a minimum ten game stadium ban. Even better would be to make him run the line at a junior match for each game of his ban, but sadly that won't happen. Still, the stadium ban...
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Just ban Roma from any European competitions for at least two seasons.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Zman39 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:34 am How can Roma fans be so mad at the referee when he went against Var’s wishes to award a penalty for Sevilla? Mugs
Doesn't fit the narrative, does it?

I live in Italy and RAI should also shoulder some of the blame. The level of bias in their commentary was horrific at times with the narrative being that every challenge and incident should have been a free kick or penalty to Roma and that the referee had "lost it".

Funnily enough, at full time one of the studio analysts said it was not a penalty to Sevilla for the challenge and not a penalty to Roma for handball. When they cut back to the TV hosts they did not know what to say because they were not expecting him to say the latter and were too gobsmacked too speak. Fair play to that man for being honest and for not towing the party line.

FWIW UEFA have to give a lengthy ban to the team, the fans and Mourinho with financial penalties thrown in for irony. If they do not then what they will effectively be doing i s saying is that it is okay to behave in this way.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Just had a nose at the teams already in next season's competition

Obviously, there are LFC and Brighton
Toulouse and 4th in Ligue 1 (Lille in boxseat, but Rennes and Monaco possibilities)
Villareal and Betis
Frieburg and German Cup winners
Atlanta and Roma (unless Juve overtake one of them)
Sporting also confirmed

Ajax and Antwerp confirmed for a pre-group play off

Kret's other club, Slavia Prague also in an earlier play off round.
kenthammer
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 398 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:35 pm Just ban Roma from any European competitions for at least two seasons.
If it was an English club they would have done so already and more
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Italian Hammer wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:58 pm
Funnily enough, at full time one of the studio analysts said it was not a penalty to Sevilla for the challenge and not a penalty to Roma for handball. When they cut back to the TV hosts they did not know what to say because they were not expecting him to say the latter and were too gobsmacked too speak. Fair play to that man for being honest and for not towing the party line.
Yeah I saw that too, there was one of those pauses, would have been no longer than a second but seemed to last for ages when that happened.

The host basically said it was the correct call for both because the laws of the game state that the arm needs to be in a certain position to be considered a penalty.

Skysports Italy did seem to be lambasting Roma, their fans and Mourinho.