Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Had some drinks while away on holiday, back onto the wagon for me now.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1511 likes
Total likes: 266 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

funny how this thread has turned into a place where lads confess exceptional alcohol liquids consumption and (sometimes) promise they won't sin anymore ;)
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Just had dinner with friends. Everyone was pie-eyed by 8pm having started in red wine at 4. No one seemed to be enjoying it, dunno why they bother. Reckon everyone would have had a better night if they’d had some soft drinks and coffee and stuff interspersed with the wines.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:04 pm Just had dinner with friends. Everyone was pie-eyed by 8pm having started in red wine at 4. No one seemed to be enjoying it, dunno why they bother. Reckon everyone would have had a better night if they’d had some soft drinks and coffee and stuff interspersed with the wines.
More often than not, probably just out of habit.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Igor_E7 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:39 pm funny how this thread has turned into a place where lads confess exceptional alcohol liquids consumption and (sometimes) promise they won't sin anymore ;)
I'm trying to drink less and pop on here to confess when I haven't, get some momentum behind my non drinking spurts and generally get some advice.

I don't want to cut drink out competely - this is not the tea total thread afer all - just cut down. I was doing well drinking 4 pints ish of a Thursday only and then was gonna try and cut down from there. Unfortunately my mum died, a beer festival appeared and I've got my mums funeral and wake to deal with on Wednesday. I'm going to try and not drink dureing the whole day, of the funeral, despite there being free booze all day, and take guidence from here (0.0 beer etc) and my cousin, who at his brothers funeral was a s sober as a judge all day. It gave him dignity, respect and Kudos as he kept it together without resorting to drink.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

Best of luck on Wednesday Indy and hope it goes as well as these things can.
Last two funerals I've been to I've drank soft drinks and felt good for it.
I've no idea where the habit of getting smashed off your face at weddings and funerals comes from but it's something my family and I have always done.
Looked at logically it seems like madness.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Samba wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:24 am More often than not, probably just out of habit.
The hosts were also sniping at each other a fair amount, having been arguing a lot of late, according to their repeated assertions. They were lurching between "such is married life, eh" bemusement, snarkiness and ill-supressed annoyance with one another. Seemed like a terrible starting place for a strong drinking session.

I also was left a bit concerned that being the sober guy in a room full of drunks might have made things worse for the rest of them. Maybe they just found my presence boring and annoying, or an unwanted reminder of their own lack of self-control. Dunno. I mean, I don't see that as a reason for starting drinking again, but maybe I need to learn how to adjust my behaviour when everyone else is drinking, so I "fit in" a bit better. Any advice from the kumb quorum?
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Considering quitting it for a while now. This video blew me away just now, presenting a concept that I haven't seen before. Recommend giving it a view.

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

WHU Independent wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:09 am I'm trying to drink less and pop on here to confess when I haven't, get some momentum behind my non drinking spurts and generally get some advice.

I don't want to cut drink out competely - this is not the tea total thread afer all - just cut down. I was doing well drinking 4 pints ish of a Thursday only and then was gonna try and cut down from there. Unfortunately my mum died, a beer festival appeared and I've got my mums funeral and wake to deal with on Wednesday. I'm going to try and not drink dureing the whole day, of the funeral, despite there being free booze all day, and take guidence from here (0.0 beer etc) and my cousin, who at his brothers funeral was a s sober as a judge all day. It gave him dignity, respect and Kudos as he kept it together without resorting to drink.

I think the VERY FIRST STEP you take when giving up drink or as in your case cutting down is being HONEST with yourself and I get the feeling you are - so that's the very first step taken , you're there on the road to wherever you want to go .

I used every excuse under the sun to drink until in the end I didn't need one .

Feeling happy ? Celebrate with a drink .

Feeling sad ? Drown your sorrows in drink .

We moved to Skye in 1988 - by 1992 I had transformed our field of a garden into a good size vegetable patch - I did once piece at a time as the song goes - I grew all sorts of vegetables , some things like sweetcorn didn't get enough of a season to grow so they were a failure but I soon learned what grew and what didn't - when my Mam passed away in '93 that vegetable patch and the garden turned to shyte - I ignored it completely , I didn't care and I drank even more than I did before - I tried giving up a couple of times , was successful for around 10 months with the aid of some tablets from the Doctor but Christmas came along and I thought ' One drink won't hurt ' - and it started up all over again .

So , 15-16 years ago [ I honestly have stopped counting ] I decided I'd give up for good without the aid of a Doctor , AA etc - I had to do it for myself - as with everything , you need to do it for yourself .

4 pints on a Thursday is absolutely fine , it's nothing , it's just enjoying yourself once a week .

I think a couple of beers would help at your Mum's funeral , just try and keep it at 2 , nothing wrong with 2 . Helps the conversation flow , helps talk about the old days when Mum was alive , share some memories , just keep it dignified that's all . Now that's just my advice and you're free to ignore it , maybe you'd be ok with 3 beers [ pints ] but I wouldn't go to 4 unless it's just immediate close family .

I've had a few scares of late what with various things - in the past I'd have turned to drink , nowadays I don't miss it at all - I can have a barbeque in the hot weather with everyone else drinking ice cold beers , I'm fine with my apple & elderflower .

If you can cut down then go ahead and cut down but I think 4 pints on a Thursday only is just fine - as long as it doesn't become 4 pints per night as it was in my case [ and more ] .
Samba

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:23 am I also was left a bit concerned that being the sober guy in a room full of drunks might have made things worse for the rest of them. Maybe they just found my presence boring and annoying, or an unwanted reminder of their own lack of self-control. Dunno. I mean, I don't see that as a reason for starting drinking again, but maybe I need to learn how to adjust my behaviour when everyone else is drinking, so I "fit in" a bit better. Any advice from the kumb quorum?
I'm tempted to say don't be there but that might not be helpful. Very difficult to be the only sober one in a room full of drunks.
I guess at first they notice someone that's not drinking but probably forget, the more drunk they get.
Fine to be the only sober one if others are just having one or two.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

You'll just get more comfortable with practice.

It feels odd at first, but it'll feel increasingly more natural and you'll gradually become much less conscious of the fact that you are not drinking and others are. It's only the unfamiliarity with it that feels constrictive.

The reality is that everyone is sitting there feeling self conscious about everything though. That they are drinking, that you aren't, that the food they made or ordered is to everyone's liking, that their house isn't being judged too harshly, is their hair alright, are they dressed OK, did they just make a fool of themselves with their last comment.

Try not to over think it, everyone is so wrapped up inside their own head most of the time they aren't thinking about what you are doing at all.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:22 pmTry not to over think it, everyone is so wrapped up inside their own head most of the time they aren't thinking about what you are doing at all.
Yeah, am going with that angle. I think there was just tension in the air before we got there and they were drinking to get drunk by way of dealing with it. Hopefully won't be as morose next time...
Samba

Post by Samba »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:51 pm Yeah, am going with that angle. I think there was just tension in the air before we got there and they were drinking to get drunk by way of dealing with it. Hopefully won't be as morose next time...
I'm sure you weren't that bad..
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I’ve not had a drink since Saturday and was only out for the FA Cup Final and then my friend’s gig in Liverpool. They were on at 6 so I pretty much had to be in Scouseland for the match to make it. The pub I chose was awful and it pretty much tainted it for me. It can be stag and hen central there and these are things I just don’t enjoy.

Nevertheless, I’ve been invited out tonight for a usual entertainment in the good local but I’m going to text the lad back to say I’m too tired. Something somewhere has switched inside me and I’m majorly cutting down.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Samba wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:02 pm I'm sure you weren't that bad..
Can't rule that out either.
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Haven't drunk since Tuesday last week. My Friday today & was tempted to grab a couple of beers after work but didn't (have done a 5mg THC gummy instead). Going to a boozer on Wednesday to watch the game at Noon. I was thinking of watching at home but I really want to enjoy the game in a crowd. Who knows when I'll see us in another final. I missed 2006 as my satellite link died & I was relying on ****ing texts from a Scouse mate at the game :crossed:

So I might drink, I might not. Who am I kidding. I'll be with a bunch of Mexican blokes. There'll be beer & tequila then back on the wagon on Thursday.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Been pretty much on the sauce from Wednesday afternoon til last night. Thats me done for at least a month. Really struggling this morning. :cried:
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

So I saw Little Steve sitting on a bench in the high street yesterday. He can be charming and he can be a nightmare. As you can imagine, alcohol is involved. I know he was barred from one of my locals and I had a quiet word with the gaffer of the other to warn him when he started coming in. He soon got barred. I did see him stood outside another a few times but then never again. Anyhow, he’s got a bruise on his face and asked if he could borrow £2. I said no. I ask where he’s drinking now and he says “Nowhere. I’m barred from all the pubs.” There really is no hope for some people.
Joffrey
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Joffrey »

Deleted
Last edited by Joffrey on Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btajim - mcfc

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I still do. I’ve just majorly cut down. I had a couple with food yesterday after shopping.