Air fryers

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Re: Air fryers

Post by mumbles87 »

was doing a posh pizza the other day and then kids having chips so we used the oven for once

what an utter let down when I stole a few left over chips.. just not the same.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

Hm. Thought I'd be fine just googling anything I wanted to know but just about every piece of info I can find on air fryer cooking is contradicted - sometimes on the very next search result - with an opposing piece of info.

You mustn't use olive oil - You CAN use olive oil
You can't steam veggies in there - you CAN steam veggies in there
You needn't preheat the air fryer - you MUST preheat the air fryer

etc.

:fuming:
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

last.caress wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:37 pm Hm. Thought I'd be fine just googling anything I wanted to know but just about every piece of info I can find on air fryer cooking is contradicted - sometimes on the very next search result - with an opposing piece of info.

You mustn't use olive oil - You CAN use olive oil
You can't steam veggies in there - you CAN steam veggies in there
You needn't preheat the air fryer - you MUST preheat the air fryer

etc.

:fuming:
I just think of it as a small oven. Pretty much, whatever you can do in an oven, you can do in an air fryer.

You can use olive oil, but it’s not good for high heats owing to its low smoke point.

I’m not sure how you steam anything in an air fryer. A steamer would seem a better option, unless you make a foil parcel and put your veggies in that.

Pre-heating an air fryer is the same as preheating an oven. It gives you the right temperature from the moment you put your food in. For many foods it isn’t important, for some it is essential (e.g. if you want something to crisp quickly).

So basically all of those items that you listed that seem contradictory, can all be true. Confusing isn’t it :)

The main thing I’ve learnt is that fatty foods aren’t great in the air fryer. They cook fine, but because things are so close to the heating element, they smoke and stink the place out. My air fryer stank for weeks after I’d cooked smoked bacon in it. Never again.
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

last.caress wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:33 am We've taken the air fryer plunge. We've gone with the Ninja AF400UK 9.5L £200, reduced from £250. Arrives today.
Just done the same after reading this thread and seeing it on the Amazon Prime day for £170 :grin:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

We've barely had our oven on since we bought it.