Memories of Wembley 1965

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Memories of Wembley 1965

Post by Puff Daddy »

Euro Finals for West Ham being such a rare occurrence, I treasure any opportunity to reminiss these occasions. Should we win tomorrow night, it will be our first Euro win in 58 years. That is two generations. I am one of the blessed few, who have experienced the feeling of unbridled joy, jubilation and overwhelming happiness you will experience, should we win tomorrow night. It is an understatement to say that experience is indescribable. Only a very few on here have experienced, so if there are any on here who were there that night, what are your memories of that night at Wembley 1965. Mine have come flooding back , but oddly, the one that sticks out most of all, is of standing in the queue outside Wembley Park tube station after the match to get the tube home. West Ham fans, one side, TSV Munchen the other and of a British Bobby speaking in fluent German to a group of Munchen fans
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Re: Memories of Wembley 1965

Post by Denzil »

I've no idea why, Puffy, but I've always thought you were about 40.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

My initial memories are a bit strange, possibly reflecting the items stashed in my ‘precious box’ in the loft:

There were loads in the crowd with home made signs, symbols and colours. For example home made c&b woolly hats. Mine is so tainted it’s almost mauve and blue.
The exchange of pennants at the start, and the cheap alternatives on sale everywhere around Wembley before and after (still got one).
Blokes selling assorted pin badges, almost every ten yards, as you approached the ground.
It felt very good natured, although certainly at home we still ‘frowned’ when we talked about the Germans generally. Don’t recall seeing any signs of segregation, but suspect I wasn’t looking.

Finally, my old man bought me chips as we got back to Barking road. He normally nicked some of mine after games.

All my memory of the game is tainted by the recorded highlights now available. Cannot remember much myself.

My match day program still features in my top five possessions. It got creased and has chip fat on it!
👍
cornishiron
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by cornishiron »

Walking down Wembley way after the match and the German coaches driving past us with the fans waving to us.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Denzil wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:22 am I've no idea why, Puffy, but I've always thought you were about 40.
No, I'm an elderly geezer7 still look about 40, but in my mind, I'm 35
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

I was there in 1965 with my Dad & elder brother as a 9 year old
My outstanding memory is of when Alan Sealey dived at a cross with both hands and punched the ball into the net….we were directly in line with that

My mum made us a claret & blue flag to take with us.
That flag has become a family heirloom….made it back to Wembley for the 1975 & 1980 Finals with my brother & me.

It also made trips down to Cardiff for the playoff Finals & the 2006 Final

I didn’t take it with me to Brussels in 1976.

It now resides on the wall of my nephew’s bedroom …would have been great to take it to Prague but no chance of a ticket

But will certainly be taking it to the victory parade when the boys return with the cup !

COYI ⚒⚒
mcan
Has liked: 201 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by mcan »

Good piece about Brian Dear and the game in the Tele (not sure if behind paywall).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... rian-dear/