What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Samba wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:44 pm He was trying to spot TOMoS in short trousers..
Since becoming an out and out Putinist you can imagine the conflict going on in my brain .

Watched The Covenant [ Guy Ritchie ] last night on Amazon Prime after Jen had gone to bed so had the speakers turned down lower than I normally use .

Without going in to it too much [ no spoilers etc ] it's kinda 2 films in one -

It's thoroughly enjoyable and reminds us all of the bravery shown by a group of Afghan Interpreters who were mostly let down by the US and its Allies who invaded Afghanistan and occupied the country for 20 years leaving the Interpreters at the mercy of The Taliban - Same thing happened in Iraq of course .

Despite there being a photo of an American and an Afghan shown during the end clips of this film it isn't based on a true story [ though I'm pretty sure very similar events would have occurred ] .

Think I might watch it again this time with my speakers turned up loud . :grin: 9/10
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Currently enjoying season 2 of Jack Ryan along with season 2 of Evil (which isn't that good but as I've committed, I feel like I have to stick with it) and Ash vs Evil Dead which I'm rewatching as I enjoyed it so much the first time. Also on the agenda once I'm done with those are the second season of See, FUBAR, and Inside No.9. There's also new seasons coming out later this year for Sweet Home, Lupin, and Squid Games which I'm looking forward to.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

American Born Chinese on Disney. This show is like Cobra Kai crossed with Everything Everywhere All At Once. It would be interesting to get other's opinions on the show. Following Everything Everywhere, Beef, Shang Chi... The Asian immigrant experience is once again the main focus. I find these shows watchable but am also acutely aware that the Asian slant might be a bit too quirky.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1994 likes
Total likes: 1671 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:04 pm The Asian immigrant experience is once again the main focus. I find these shows watchable but am also acutely aware that the Asian slant might be a bit too quirky.
:shocker: :shocker: :shocker:
The Old Man of Storr

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:39 pm :shocker: :shocker: :shocker:

It's ok , I Love Lasagne is occasionally taken over by the ghost of Prince Philip .

It can happen .

Anyway , fed up with all those Police Murder Dramas we watched -

The Phantom Of The Open last night -

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12572040/

Mark Rylance plays Maurice Flitcroft once dubbed ' The World's Worst Golfer ' and who somehow conned his way into the opening round of the British Open back in 1976 , the ever reliable , Sally Hawkins plays his wife , Jean - it's one of those heartwarming British Comedy Dramas that come along now and again only this time based on true events . 8.5/10

Then we took in a rather quirky comedy drama called -

Deadloch - [ Amazon Prime ]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14671678/

Ok , only seen one episode of this and I'll warn you now you're either going to like it or you're not , I'm going to guess that many of you will fall into the latter group [ and that ain't a slur on anyone's character believe me ] , one character in particular is manically overplayed and I'm not sure why or what it's meant to add to this show - I liked it and I'm going to stick with it to see where it goes .

It's a Police Comedy Drama set in seaside or lakeside community in Tasmania - the Police Sergeant is in a same sex relationship with a woman , most of the other characters are women [ you see where I'm going with this ? ] -

Kate Box is superb as the lead character .
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1605 likes

Post by alf git »

Nothing on. Early night.
Geoff Hurts
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Geoff Hurts »

Watched 'The Days' on Netflix, drama about the Fukushima accident and how close Japan came to total disaster. It's based on the testament of 90 of the workers that were there and the official enquiry.

Might be a bit slowed paced for some, but for an old un like me, I really enjoyed it and didn't realise how seriously close to armageddon it was for much of Japan. It must have been oday, the missus watched from beginning to end and not a knitting kneedle in sight.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:39 pm :shocker: :shocker:
Haha... I did have to contemplate whether to adjust my choice of words. I decided it was fine :smiler:
The Old Man of Storr

With Jen away with lovely Daughter in Inverness I had the TV to myself last night so I took in -

Steeltown Murders

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23152082/

Well acted Police Drama which re-enacts real life events from the 1970s and 30 years later with the onset of DNA being used to catch murderers and criminals .
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Arnold on Netflix.

What a man.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

S-H wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:52 pm Arnold on Netflix.

What a man.
You have to wonder if he was able to run for president when he was the ‘governor’ if the world would have avoided most of Thump and following crap we’ve had to endure the last ten years or so.

Would most likely have been a much better place.
Last edited by wolf359 on Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Now watching Commando

Because, of course..
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

last.caress wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:27 pm I finished bingeing the entire eight series' of Inside No.9 last night. Incredible writing. One of the best UK shows of recent years, for sure. Even with the occasional clunker episode, they were still clever, or funny or well-acted. But the top level, truly elite episodes represent some of the best UK telly ever produced. And there's far, far more good therein than bad.
They're ok. Great writing & acting, as you say.
However, aren't they pretty much just a modern version of 'Tales of the Unexpected'?
The Old Man of Storr

Some good news for those of you with Sky TV - a third series of ' Der Pass ' has just been released .

Ignore comparisons with The Bridge , Der Pass is an excellent series in its own right , the only connection is there's an Austrian Detective teaming up with a German Detective and the comparison ends there .

The main protagonists , Nicholas Ofczarek as Gedeon Winter and Julia Jentsch as Ellie Stocker are particularly impressive , the stories and scripts also .

Series One was a 10/10

Series Two was a 9/10

Really looking forward to Series Three .
The Old Man of Storr

Just discovered you can watch Disney + on two separate TVs in 2 separate houses 100 miles apart simultaneously .
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:57 pm Just discovered you can watch Disney + on two separate TVs in 2 separate houses 100 miles apart simultaneously .
Gi' us your password & make it 3...
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Prime (only just found out I had it :() 'The Killing', early Kubrick, one of my favourite heist movies. Tremendous film.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Has anybody seen Jury Duty on Prime?
It follows the workings of an American jury trial through the eyes of Ronald Gladden, a juror who is unaware the entire case is fake. Everyone except him is an actor, and everything that happens is carefully planned.
Looks fascinating, and is definitely on my list..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22074164/
Denzil
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 529 likes

Post by Denzil »

S-H wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:28 am Has anybody seen Jury Duty on Prime?

Looks fascinating, and is definitely on my list..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22074164/
The Mrs and I both loved it.
The Old Man of Storr

Tenbury wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:13 am Prime (only just found out I had it :() 'The Killing', early Kubrick, one of my favourite heist movies. Tremendous film.

Said to be the biggest influence on Tarantino when he made Reservoir Dogs - read the same about it being Ringo Lam's ' City On Fire ' so I could be talking bollox , it has been known .