Formula1

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Re: Formula1

Post by wolf359 »

alf git wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:05 pm It's all about the car not the driver.. Haven't you been paying attention to this thread :winker:
Max is a truly great driver, he is relentless but for me he has yet to win a real championship.. 2021 well.... 2022 his team (maybe not him. no idea if he knew or not) cheated (yes cheated should have been thrown out of the competition) and the results of that cheating and the almost nothing penalty have given them an uncatchable advantage this year also.. there will forever be a * against his name for me and many others.

Now all this is a shame, he is up there, hardly makes a mistake and like Senna, Schumacher and Hamilton before has changed the sport. I've actually watched him a bit when he streams, he is a completely different character, likeable in many ways.. for me the issue is more the team he drives for and that moron who leads it.. if he left and ended up at Ferrari I might even get to like him (worked for Vettel - who I had similar thoughts about once upon a time)

Using Checo to compare him though is like comparing Lewis with Bottas... pointless, they are both in a different league.
Last edited by wolf359 on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Gaz »

Couldn’t agree more, the car is clearly superior but you also need someone to deliver consistently. Also, a great driver is not going to win a number of races without a good car.

I was so impressed with Max in the damp/wet conditions at Monaco compared to most others tip-toeing around, it the place and conditions where driver talent can show, but I thought it was a shame that I could never get fully behind him.

Anyway, as we have all been educated by the recent growth of fans on twitter, Lewis only won because he had the best car, Max wins because he’s the best driver. We should all know that by now :crossed:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

FP1 a bit of a shambles. Great for a multi billion dollar sport. Red flagged after 7 minutes and cannot restart due to local CCTV failing.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:03 pm FP1 a bit of a shambles. Great for a multi billion dollar sport. Red flagged after 7 minutes and cannot restart due to local CCTV failing.
And the solution is to give 30 minutes more for practice tomorrow for the 50+ minutes that we’re lost today.

I’m still watching F1 but my interest is getting less and less due to DTS and it being entertainment now and not a sport
k-r-c

Post by k-r-c »

It rains and verstappen is even further clear.

That car is something else.

Perez is completely bottling it also. Maybe the car is set up for verstappen but he’s so far off the pace
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Not watched in ages. Do they still have the little button to make the car go faster if they find that overtaking is too difficult for them? Bit like Turbo boose on Out Run on the mega drive?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Denbighammer wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:46 pm Not watched in ages. Do they still have the little button to make the car go faster if they find that overtaking is too difficult for them? Bit like Turbo boose on Out Run on the mega drive?
Push to pass, is Indycar not F1.

F1 has DRS which opens the rear wing, reducing drag and increasing top speed. It can only be triggered if you are with in a second at an activation point and then only in a specific zone (number of points and zones varies per track)

As for qualifying Red Bull seem to have achieved the near impossible a car that can quickly activate tyres whilst being kind to them.

Still amazed more didn’t end up on the walls, on boards of Max, Lewis, Lando showing the cars twitching wildly but they all correct it with near super human skill.

Penalties given out after. Hulk for speeding under reds loses his excellent 2nd. Sainz for trying to kill people. The backing up at the end of a lap to make space has to stop - anyone who watches the sport can see a death occurring, there have been countless near misses, but F1 seem unconcerned (three place penalties are not going to stop it.)

As for the race Max will disappear and we are back to Mercedes vs Alonso. With Ferrari playing catch up and Perez one race closer to the end (Q2 in that car again?? He’s having a laugh)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Didn’t Red Bull hang Perez out to dry on inters when everyone else put a quick lap in on slicks. That’s my admittedly hazy and wine fuelled recollection anyway.

I know my respect for ‘that team’ can’t fall any lower, but honestly, their second driver problems just as they start to look competitive must just be a coincidence, right? See Mark Webber, Danny Ric and now Checo?

RB need to find themselves a Bottas, someone who is quick enough to pick up points consistently, yet not quite good enough or ambitious enough to consistently challenge their number 1 driver.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Denbighammer wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:46 pm Not watched in ages. Do they still have the little button to make the car go faster if they find that overtaking is too difficult for them? Bit like Turbo boose on Out Run on the mega drive?
The Mercs did have a ‘party mode’ that was outlawed because they were too dominant at the time. A regulation update mid-season that Formula 1 refuse to consider in this era of another dominant car.

Also, a driver can strategically conserve and deploy battery power at key moments to defend or attack, but most drivers are wise to this and conserve/deploy at the same time.

The most artificial thing about F1 at the moment is DRS which reduces drag for the attacking car, and in may places it is too powerful meaning overtakes are often completed well before the braking zone for each corner. I wouldn’t get rid of DRS entirely but would tweak it a bit, continue refining the zones so it’s not too powerful, and maybe allow driver a limited number of deployments per race, and do something to neutralise DRS trains.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Gaz wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:51 pm Didn’t Red Bull hang Perez out to dry on inters when everyone else put a quick lap in on slicks. That’s my admittedly hazy and wine fuelled recollection anyway.

I know my respect for ‘that team’ can’t fall any lower, but honestly, their second driver problems just as they start to look competitive must just be a coincidence, right? See Mark Webber, Danny Ric and now Checo?

RB need to find themselves a Bottas, someone who is quick enough to pick up points consistently, yet not quite good enough or ambitious enough to consistently challenge their number 1 driver.
Or don’t design a car for only one driver. They’d enter one car if they were allowed to. They’ve no interest in developing the car to assist a second driver. It’s max or nothing for them.
k-r-c

Post by k-r-c »

God this a very boring race.

Verstappen not even needing to get out of 3rd gear.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

k-r-c wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:50 pm God this a very boring race.

I’m enjoying this one. Good to watch the data and tyre choices. Brewing up towards the end. (I ignore Max and just hope he breaks down.)
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

k-r-c wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:50 pm God this a very boring race.

Verstappen on team radio "haha I bumped over the hairpin, I nearly crashed haha".

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Crofty reading off the stats at the end, red bull and max winning 80 of the last 27 races or whatever - that's not a good thing Crofty.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

FiA at it again.

Two unsafe releases and no punishment. Then Lando gets done for unsporting behaviour and no one really knows why.

Very strange.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:39 pm FiA at it again.

Two unsafe releases and no punishment. Then Lando gets done for unsporting behaviour and no one really knows why.

Very strange.
Lando was down for backing up under the safety car so they could double stack. It’s not allowed but not usually called ‘unsporting’

The unsafe releases both looked nailed on to me, not sure why they dismissed them like they did.
Last edited by wolf359 on Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Unsafe releases were borderline, surprised they weren’t given. Although Alonso exaggerating it by wiggling the steering wheel side to side was hilarious, like a Fiorentina player going down after a 50/50 holding his face

:crossed:
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Gaz wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:55 pm Unsafe releases were borderline, surprised they weren’t given. Although Alonso exaggerating it by wiggling the steering wheel side to side was hilarious, like a Fiorentina player going down after a 50/50 holding his face

:crossed:
Looking at the stewards report Alonso's 'antics' seemed to cause them to throw it out.. Stating there was no reason for him to react.. So good referring in football sense (though it did look close on the pictures)
k-r-c

Post by k-r-c »

I thought because Alonso passed Hamilton they basically decided no penalty for Hamilton. So then they couldn’t give Norris one.

They both looked like penalty’s to me.

I mean they took like 10 laps deciding then Alonso passed Hamilton and in one lap they said no penalty, looked suspect to me.

Watch them give a penalty next race for similar
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

k-r-c wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:10 pm Watch them give a penalty next race for similar
Without a doubt death, taxes , inconsistent F1 stewards.