Goodbye and thank you. David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

On To Victory
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: David Moyes' Claret and Blue Army!

Post by On To Victory »

Something I've been thinking about in the wake of Saturday: Has any manager given us a better ratio of massive, take-your-top-off, hug-a-stranger moments than Moyes?

I'm nominally in the 'time to go Dave' camp I think. Not especially vociferously, but I find it hard to believe a different man in the dugout couldn't squeeze a bit more sexy football out of the players at his disposal. But in a stats-obsessed era, what I really want as a fan is as many moments as possible that make me take leave of my senses and go completely bananas. By hook or by crook I think Moyes' teams have given me them more frequently than any other manager's.

Last June goes without saying, as do the consecutive European runs, obviously; but we had them all through the lockdown season, the Liverpool and Chelsea home games in 2021, Lanzini away at Spurs (Lanzini away at Spurs!), and even when we've been a bit crap - Saturday being a great example, even Kidderminster away.

I think it's likely more by accident than design, but it's made me re-evaluate how I feel about him I think. I'm pretty certain I'd trade sexy football for more moments I'll remember for the rest of my life given the choice, and I wonder if there's something in the mentality of the squad he's built that means we get more than our fair share of them?

Either way, it's been great fun.
hammer1975
Has liked: 1062 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I find some of our games predictable and boring.

I find every single Man City game predictable and boring.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 327 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

hammer1975 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:11 pm I find some of our games predictable and boring.

Agree on this, when we are bad, the football is very tedious, we have played some good football as well at times, we do as said by others, seem to have good team spirit under Moyes, and for that as well as other reasons I would like him to stay, he's not perfect for sure, but his pluses outway his minuses imo. On Man City, I couldn't agree more, I'm sure their fan's love every minute of their success, but I find their football boring as hell strangely.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1955 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

hammer1975 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:11 pm I find some of our games predictable and boring.

REALLY! :crylol: :crylol:

Go and put this on every other Football forum in the PL and we will see if they think City are more boring than West Ham to watch.

I have seen some outrageous statements backing Moysie's tactics,but this one is really taking the biscuit.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator.
EastVillageHammer
Has liked: 3760 likes
Total likes: 2992 likes

Post by EastVillageHammer »

On To Victory wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:54 pm Something I've been thinking about in the wake of Saturday: Has any manager given us a better ratio of massive, take-your-top-off, hug-a-stranger moments than Moyes?
Really good post, encapsulates exactly how I feel about the situation!
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1272 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2955 likes
Total likes: 1867 likes

Post by DublinDave »

On To Victory wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:54 pm Something I've been thinking about in the wake of Saturday: Has any manager given us a better ratio of massive, take-your-top-off, hug-a-stranger moments than Moyes?

Either way, it's been great fun.
You should post more mate, that was a belter..! :scarfer:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2180 likes
Total likes: 1910 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

For me that is what football is all about. You remember the moments for years in the future. Watching a bunch of fancy dans toying with poorer teams every week is the height of boredom. We don’t remember Hercules for being strong but for all the odds he overcame
Viv Stanshall
Has liked: 222 likes
Total likes: 454 likes

Post by Viv Stanshall »

Tezza65 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:40 pm REALLY! :crylol: :crylol:

Go and put this on every other Football forum in the PL and we will see if they think City are more boring than West Ham to watch.
I actually understand where Hammer 1975 is coming from on this one. So I don’t find it laughable in the slightest.
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 306 likes
Total likes: 399 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:42 pm Some of them have started grumbling about Aussie Ardiles over on the squabbling winkle. Naive, reckless, poor game management.
I predicted to my mates that Spurs fans would turn on him, and half-jokingly predicted that we'd be in the Champions League next season instead of them. Naturally I got mocked when Spurs had a good start to the season, but my predictions are still in with a shout!
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1609 likes
Total likes: 3357 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Without the big moments, we are fairly unwatchable.

The idea that to want better means we have to want City football, or that there is no path to meaningful success without playing like this is just nonsense.

Burnley had two massive jump up and hug moments, but they only came because we were abysmal for 85 minutes. Had Forest and Burnley had any sense, we lose those games. I’m happy we’ve got the right mentality and the right parts to pressure those moments, but those were both games we should have been winning, and by now, winning with some ease.

I’d like to see more obvious patterns of play, an attack that lives less off chaos, not needing the Soucek safety blanket against all opponents, more rotation. Mostly, I’d like to not feel dread when an opponent lets us have the ball.

Again, I’m in no camp as of yet, but I’d lean maybe 55/45 in favour of change. He needs to show improvement in some areas.
The Straw
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 1462 likes

Post by The Straw »

Great post. Great username 👏

Not far off how I feel, but written so much less aggressively.

⚒️
Humbug
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by Humbug »

I honestly think we've got a mediocre squad of players where DM has got the best out of them. Do you think any of these are currently quality players: Ings, Coufal, Soucek, Ogbonna, Johnson, Kehrer. Fornals , Benrahma, Cornet, Downes, Antonio, Creswell ?

Then of course, we have a crocked Zouma, an error prone Aquerd, undisciplined Alvarez , Paqueta and his suicide passes/loss of possession. A real mish-mash of players who DM has made into some functional team. If we replace him without a better squad of players, we might have a honeymoon period and then we'll struggle with relegation aka Pellegrini all over again.
Southminster Hammer

Humbug wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:29 am I honestly think we've got a mediocre squad of players where DM has got the best out of them. Do you think any of these are currently quality players: Ings, Coufal, Soucek, Ogbonna, Johnson, Kehrer. Fornals , Benrahma, Cornet, Downes, Antonio, Creswell ?

Then of course, we have a crocked Zouma, an error prone Aquerd, undisciplined Alvarez , Paqueta and his suicide passes/loss of possession. A real mish-mash of players who DM has made into some functional team. If we replace him without a better squad of players, we might have a honeymoon period and then we'll struggle with relegation aka Pellegrini all over again.
Another excellent post, there have been quite a few on here lately which is much better to read than the usual dinosaur accusations via lots of social media Fan's. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, there has to be a balance.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2065 likes
Total likes: 1525 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

On To Victory wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:54 pm Has any manager given us a better ratio of massive, take-your-top-off, hug-a-stranger moments than Moyes?
Slavs first season.
Southminster Hammer

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:42 am Slavs first season.
Payet was the main reason, without him, our football wasn't great either imo.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3366 likes
Total likes: 3120 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:48 am Payet was the main reason, without him, our football wasn't great either imo.
Slav got found out pretty quickly.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1609 likes
Total likes: 3357 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Humbug wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:29 am I honestly think we've got a mediocre squad of players where DM has got the best out of them. Do you think any of these are currently quality players: Ings, Coufal, Soucek, Ogbonna, Johnson, Kehrer. Fornals , Benrahma, Cornet, Downes, Antonio, Creswell ?

This feels a bit “careful what you wish for” post Sam.

The players you listed are mostly squad players, and all are Pl standard. Ings is third or fourth choice, other rest are rotation players and good standard considering that’s their role.

The non-rotation ones, Coufal and Soucek now, are top 10 PL players. And he could have replaced both! He’s moving our best midfielder wide to accommodate one, so you can’t exactly complain about him!

I vehemently disagree with almost every part of the last paragraph.
Ozza
Has liked: 1040 likes
Total likes: 2621 likes

Post by Ozza »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:59 am Slav got found out pretty quickly.
Yeah but what a season it was, he also got totally sold down the river by the scumbag that is Sullivan in that next season
teresapele
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by teresapele »

Have to say I am on the fence I do find it irritating that every time we win the Moysiah gang come out and every time we lose the haters come out Football fans so fickle and West Ham fans sadly ne exception