NFL For Dummies

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 436 likes

Re: NFL For Dummies

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

2 Wins on the bounce and 4 of our last 5 games are very winnable imo. 9-7 finish is possible for the Rams. Not sure that is good enough for play off's but either way would be an excellent season considering the high turnover in personnel.
WCpete
Has liked: 1597 likes
Total likes: 3342 likes

Post by WCpete »

That's some celebration.

bitter-iron-ny
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:09 pm 2 Wins on the bounce and 4 of our last 5 games are very winnable imo. 9-7 finish is possible for the Rams. Not sure that is good enough for play off's but either way would be an excellent season considering the high turnover in personnel.
Think you have 6 left. I'd say 3 should be easy W's and 2 are likely losses:

Browns coming to town, likely down to 3rd string QB. That's a W
Trip to Baltimore? Good luck.
Commanders coming to town, lame duck coach and gutted roster. That should be a W
Saints coming town on a Thursday night - road team prohibitive favorite to lose, also dome team outdoors. Should be a W
A trip to the Meadowlands on NYE. I think that this is fairly classified as a Toss-Up
Season-ending trip to SF, who might be playing for home field in the playoffs. Tough game.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:43 pm Think you have 6 left. I'd say 3 should be easy W's and 2 are likely losses:

Browns coming to town, likely down to 3rd string QB. That's a W
Trip to Baltimore? Good luck.
Commanders coming to town, lame duck coach and gutted roster. That should be a W
Saints coming town on a Thursday night - road team prohibitive favorite to lose, also dome team outdoors. Should be a W
A trip to the Meadowlands on NYE. I think that this is fairly classified as a Toss-Up
Season-ending trip to SF, who might be playing for home field in the playoffs. Tough game.
Yes i missed out the last SF game. Will get nothing from Baltimore and 49ers. The others though all winnable. 9-8 finish would do nicely.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:17 pm Yes i missed out the last SF game. Will get nothing from Baltimore and 49ers. The others though all winnable. 9-8 finish would do nicely.
Yeah, the blathering experts in the preseason had the Rams heading for oblivion. Not only does 9-8 give you a good shot at the playoffs, depending on how it breaks elsewhere, but in the longer term the franchise has stabilized and your coach moves past the idea that he was just a flash in the pan with the GM having sold his soul, mortgaging the future to get that one SB win.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

bitter-iron-ny wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:37 am Yeah, the blathering experts in the preseason had the Rams heading for oblivion. Not only does 9-8 give you a good shot at the playoffs, depending on how it breaks elsewhere, but in the longer term the franchise has stabilized and your coach moves past the idea that he was just a flash in the pan with the GM having sold his soul, mortgaging the future to get that one SB win.
There's been some decisions where I've been 'what are you doing?!' and also some proper ruthless ones regarding QB's and kickers. Getting Wentz in as cover to Stafford is smart, and they ditched Maher very quickly and replaced him with Havrisik who looks a better fit.

Atwell, Williams and the rookie Nacua all doing the business and Kupp will only get better as his fitness improves.
simon hammer
Has liked: 1059 likes
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Chiefs @ Lambeau
Giants @ MetLife
Bucs @ Lambeau
Panthers @ B of A Stadium
Vikings @ US Bank Stadium
Bears @ Lambeau

Huge ask for the Packers to finish with a winning record...we should beat the Giants, Bucs, Panthers and Bears. I've written off the Chiefs and Vikings games already...and I'm pretty sure at least one of the other four will be a let down.
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

Very impressed with the Dolphins. Fair enough...the commanders are very poor...but you still gotta beat what's in front of you and the Dolphins did that, and then some.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 2069 likes
Total likes: 1701 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

awful, awful call on a strip ball and the officials called the play dead before the strip.........

:fuming:

however another game down to the wire. int of Wilson in the end zone with about 6 seconds left, gave us the win.... the strip return of a t.d. would have put us up I think 23-3 but taking it off the board made the game 16-3 which lead them more able to make a comeback.

you can't leave the stadium early with this Texans team....

3 previous games
lost to a time expiring FG
lost to a time expiring FG
lost to a time expiring missed FG
simon hammer

Post by simon hammer »

...and the Packers beat the Chiefs in a game I'd already written off as a loss.

This Packers team absolutely befuddle me.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

simon hammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:01 am ...and the Packers beat the Chiefs in a game I'd already written off as a loss.

This Packers team absolutely befuddle me.
The beauty of the NFL. Didn't see that Cardinals win coming either.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:40 pm The beauty of the NFL. Didn't see that Cardinals win coming either.
I don't love Kyler Murray, but he is worlds better on his own than what they've had at QB prior to his return.

The Pack gets some serious home-cookin' from the refs down the stretch.

“The first 59 minutes were really well officiated, we lost something at the end,” NBC Sports rule analyst Terry McAulay said during the broadcast. “This is an obvious defensive pass interference. You simply can’t play through the receiver’s back before the ball gets there. He does exactly that. He plays right through his back. Has to be a foul. should have been called.”
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 2069 likes
Total likes: 1701 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

you should see the call made when one of the Texans stripped the receiver and ran the ball back for a t.d.

In #DENvsHOU, the ball did not come loose immediately upon impact, so the ruling of forward progress is not reviewable.

IMO, the running back is attempting to shed the defender and is not being driven backwards beyond his control prior to losing the ball. If that is the case, this is a fumble.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:10 pm you should see the call made when one of the Texans stripped the receiver and ran the ball back for a t.d.
The premature whistle/forward progress stopped calls have plagued the NFL for years. It's actually worse in the NHL, where they make calls based on the referees intent to blow the whistle. WTAF is that?

WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I've had a hard time watching football this season. It isn't the same sport anymore. It just isn't. I'm not asking for Jack Tatum levels of violence, but I don't want flag football either.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Pigskin pick'em up after week 13. Lee top of the tree.

LeeMacca1973 - 103-90
Pablo Jaye - 100-93
EL Hawks - 98-79
RAM A DAM - 97-96
Supreme - 77-85

None of us had a particularly great week. Top scores of 7 for Indy & Supreme.

Indy surely you'd be top if you hadn't missed a week. Could still win it as could I if the stars align over the next month. Unlikely but you never know :)
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Tom Brady nails it. And it's visibly true. This isn't the same game. Not even close, imo.

bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:43 pm Tom Brady nails it. And it's visibly true. This isn't the same game. Not even close, imo.
Welp, it wasn't the same game when Brady played than it was the decade before, and so on and so on. If he had played in the 70's or 80's, he'd be less critical of some of what's changed of late.

The players continue to develop to new levels of being freakishly-good athletes.

The coaching evolves to higher levels of sophistication and complexity

That's not to say that there aren't serious concerns. The administration and oversight at the league level has not kept up. Refereeing is maybe a little better than the past but receives much more scrutiny so the warts are much more visible.

The rationale for decisions on rule-making, codes of conduct for the players, etc. is inconsistent. The league is constantly at odds with itself when it comes to glorifying physical nature of the sport. Protecting the players is t odds with that but the league tries to have it both ways.

Goodell will go down in history as a poor commissioner, one who has demonstrated weakness on many fronts, and who has put money-making too far ahead of protecting the integrity of the game.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I swear it looks like ultimate frisbee in pads sometimes.
bitter-iron-ny

Post by bitter-iron-ny »

WCpete wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:46 am I swear it looks like ultimate frisbee in pads sometimes.
Tomorrow night might up a baseball score