The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Believer
Has liked: 1504 likes
Total likes: 827 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

Post by Believer »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:03 pm Direct ties between Nunes and the people doing business with and for Lopetegui.
I can’t say I know much about him. Whereabouts does he play ? What’s his favoured / best position ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 272 likes
Total likes: 1174 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

£10M.Ronnie (Buster) Edwards = Daylight robbery
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 332 likes
Total likes: 812 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Olise plays wide right, basically where Bowen does. You spend where you need players and when they brought Olise we did not need him more than other positions.

Wharton was a miss though. Think he might well prove the Championship buy of the year, far more than the one that went to Bournemouth.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3369 likes
Total likes: 3132 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Several big PL clubs currently in talks with Guirassy's representatives.
Roby
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by Roby »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:48 pm Several big PL clubs currently in talks with Guirassy's representatives.
We were after him when he was at Amiens.

Journeyman striker, 28 and has really only had one “top” season.

Why did Rennes sell him after his big move there?

Unless it’s a decent price like £25m tops I’d let another club take the risk.
Last edited by Roby on Fri May 17, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amsterdhammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by amsterdhammer »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:03 pm Strikes me as a more accomplished version of Benrahma who has more on days than he did.

When you're looking at a player of his age for around 20 - 30 million you're not looking at an elite player, you are looking at a player with significant weaknesses to their game stopping them from hitting that next level. He feels like that... but that doesn't mean he doesn't improve us over the course of a season.
It depends what we’re signing him for. If we’re looking for a regular starter who’s going to make us a stronger team, you only have to look at what he did at the spuds to see that he’s not your man. For a cheap squad/rotation option, he’d probably do a job.
I wouldn’t get upset if we signed him, but I’ve seen enough of him to know that it would be a bit “meh”
Lord Zoltan
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by Lord Zoltan »

Billydinho wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:29 pm Right, f*ck it, it's Friday so I'm entering Football Manager fantasy levels here.

Definites to be replaced:

- Ben Johnson - Free
- Vladimir Coufal - Free
- Aaron Cresswell - Free
- Angelo Ogbonna - Free
- Thilo Kehrer - £10 million
- Kalvin Phillips - Free
- Pablo Fornals - £8.5 million
- Said Benrahma - £17 million

Total - 8 players - £35.5 million

Likely to be replaced:

- Kurt Zouma - £5 million (no idea what he'd be worth)
- Nayef Aguerd - £30 million
- Lucas Paqueta - £85 million
- Flynn Downes - P/Ex (see below)
- Michail Antonio (MLS I reckon) - Free

Total - 5 players - £120 million

Returning players from loan to be in first team squad:

- Freddie Potts

Total - 1 player

Net net, we need 12 new players just to get to a squad where we can fill a bench every week. Likely there's a necessity for 15 players by adding competition in key areas as well as rotatable quality. I am under no illusions that we'll be signing 12 players this summer, let alone 15. However, just humour me. Let's say we have a pot of £200 million with outgoing transfers (largely hinged on full £85 million for Paqueta) which means we start off with a relatively modest £45 million fund before transfer fees for outgoing players (including those unspent from January).

Defensive Ins:

- Kyle Walker-Peters* - Southampton - £10 million plus Downes
- Josip Juranovic - Union Berlin - £10 million
- Tosin Adarabioyo - Fulham - Free
- Ronnie Edwards - Peterborough - £10 million
- Alfie Doughty - Luton - £8 million
* - Largely dependent on whether Southampton get promoted

Total - £38 million

Midfield Ins:

- Khephren Thuram - Nice - £20 million
- Angel Gomes - Lille - £35 million
- Jonathan Rowe - Norwich - £18 million
- Sammie Szmodics - Blackburn - £15 million
- Jack Grealish - Manchester City - Loan

Total - £88 million

Forwards In:

Santiago Gimenez - Feyernoord - £48 million
Youssef En-Nesyri - Sevilla - £25 million

Total - £74 million

£200 million spent that would mean squad depth (at least 2 per position - preferred starter listed first) would be:

GK - Areola, Fabianski
RB - Walker-Peters, Juranovic
LB - Emerson, Doughty
RCB - Mavropanos, Edwards
LCB - Adaraboyio, Casey
RCM - Thuram, Soucek, Potts
LCM - Alvarez, Ward-Prowse
CAM - Kudus, Gomes, Szmodic
RW - Bowen, Rowe
LW - Grealish, Kudus, Gomes, Earthy
ST - Gimenez, En-Nesyri, Ings

Probably better out there, particularly at centre half, but was trying to give us some 'homegrown' coverage and youth back into the squad.

Feel free to tear it apart, thanks for reading this far.
No way are we letting Coufal go with Johnson and Cresswell going.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 1039 likes
Total likes: 4881 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

alski wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:52 pm Think him and Alvarez with a number 10 in front would be mustard.
Yeah, Nunes is one that really fits a Lopetegui midfielder. Can do a bit of everything well, good passer and technical ability who is able to get it forward as a driving 8 but just as comfortably can drop into a holding role alongside a more pure DM. And one that can seamlessly be that central player that is constantly helping to create passing angles to keep the ball between the midfielders.

Almost seems one of those that is too good of a fit to be true because his play style, Lopetegui, their shared connections, our previous interest and Man City's interest in Paqueta make it feel very logical.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2624 likes
Total likes: 4668 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Nunes turned us down two years ago, fwiw.
Marky
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by Marky »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:46 pm Nunes turned us down two years ago, fwiw.
Main suitors I expect to be Saudi and maybe Spurs
D C
Has liked: 1186 likes
Total likes: 1512 likes

Post by D C »

Mendes directed him towards Wolves iirc. As I said with Phillips last summer, i’d be surprised if Nunes agreed to leave so soon considering the amount of City players that do much better in season 2 under Pep
NWhammer
Has liked: 822 likes
Total likes: 1611 likes

Post by NWhammer »

I don’t think Nunes has played enough this season to warrant his value being anywhere near what city paid for him.

Risk is way to high for the outlay.

For the money he’d likely cost I’d rather we took a gamble on Khephren Thurham or Youssef Fofana.
hammer1975
Has liked: 1060 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Be interesting if the advent of FFP/PSR actually sees more swap deals.

Paqueta and Nunes for example. If Man City pay £90m for Paqueta they have to spread that over 5 years - if they value Nunes at £60m in an exchange that’s £12m per year amortisation for us when we only have £65m per annum for the whole squad per latest accounts.

However, if we sell them Paqueta at £50m and they include Nunes as £20m of that then the annual cost is £4m per annum - so a much lower portion of turnover for FFP/PSR but still £30m different/cash positive.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 242 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

D C wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:49 pm Mendes directed him towards Wolves iirc. As I said with Phillips last summer, i’d be surprised if Nunes agreed to leave so soon considering the amount of City players that do much better in season 2 under Pep
With one or two exceptions like that guy they signed from Leeds, I've forgotten his name.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 6084 likes
Total likes: 3335 likes

Post by MB »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:44 pm Be interesting if the advent of FFP/PSR actually sees more swap deals.

Paqueta and Nunes for example. If Man City pay £90m for Paqueta they have to spread that over 5 years - if they value Nunes at £60m in an exchange that’s £12m per year amortisation for us when we only have £65m per annum for the whole squad per latest accounts.

However, if we sell them Paqueta at £50m and they include Nunes as £20m of that then the annual cost is £4m per annum - so a much lower portion of turnover for FFP/PSR but still £30m different/cash positive.
Doubt you’d get that past the auditors, the taxman or the agents who want their % mate
El brooko79
Has liked: 3082 likes
Total likes: 2067 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Whilst Nunes would be a good buy, if its coming out of the Paqueta money I really think the funds need to go towards LW and CF.
We have Alvarez, JWP and Soucek (maybe Downes/Potts) and yes could improve but we have no LW or CF currently. Additionally it's probably taking Soucek's goals out the team, he scores very few and without LW/CF I think we would struggle.

If its not related to Paqueta then £35m+ on a CM is the wrong place to spend imo.
hammer1975
Has liked: 1060 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

MB wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:55 pm Doubt you’d get that past the auditors, the taxman or the agents who want their % mate
You definitely can’t be daft with it - but who’s to say what a fair value for Paqueta is. Even on this thread in the space of a week I’ve seen £50m and £100m quoted as his value.
johnnyboy123
Has liked: 429 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by johnnyboy123 »

hammer1975 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:44 pm Be interesting if the advent of FFP/PSR actually sees more swap deals.

There's also the fact that if they valued Nunes as £20m, they'd be making a huge book loss on him which would surely negatively affect their PSR position.
Misko
Has liked: 546 likes
Total likes: 1518 likes

Post by Misko »

Roby wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:53 pm
Why did Rennes sell him after his big move there?
Their supporters were thrilled to get rid of him. They couldn't believe the club would get actual money for him. He was the laughing stock there. They considered him more or less inept at football, despite a decent goal record. The poor bloke seemed totally lost on the pitch, and he missed several sitters.

Obviously, his confidence was completely shot, and the possession based football Rennes tried to play wasn't suiting him.
Kilkhammer
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Kilkhammer »

Watching Southampton/ WBA and again I am really impressed with Bednarek . 28 year old Polish international, with good distribution, a bit of pace, and solid defence qualities. Worth a punt from left field ??