BIY ( Bodge it yourself)

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 1185 likes

BIY ( Bodge it yourself)

Post by Puff Daddy »

I used to be a right dab hand at all manner of home improvements. Painting and decorating, fixing cupboards
putting up shelving etc and even painted the entire front of my house and even built a large patio for my garden. I couldn't do half these things now, but occasionally still get a paint brush out, but when I do, I just get it over and done with in the shortest time, possible. I don't think there has ever been a DIY thread, so here is your chance to either show off, or share your own home truths, or is there a DIY cowboy living anywhere near you?
Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 101 likes

Re: BIY ( Bodge it yourself)

Post by Harlow Hammer »

I like the idea of DIY and I will have a go on small jobs but having the right tools help and knowing where and how hard to hit it!

My skills are limited to putting up shelves, hanging pictures.

I stay well away from electrics or plumbing, anything like that I leave to pros!!

I hate decorating as it bores the life out of me.

Would like to be able to do DIY properly like laying carpet or wood flooring, hanging doors, tiling, changing taps etc but I normally balls it up and end up getting in someone to fix it so may as well cut out the middle man :smiler:

I put together a shed last year and its still standing and put some guitar brackets on my sons wall and they are still hanging so taking that as a bonus!

Pretty good a demolition!
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2776 likes
Total likes: 1048 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I am limited in my DIY abilities, I can do stuff if I put my mind to it but sometimes I can’t be arksed.

Also, I won’t attempt anything unless I have the right tools - I was in Lidle yesterday and as it was Father’s Day there were a lot of tools down the middle aisle - now whilst to some blokes that would be heaven, I had very little interest in buying tack/nail guns, electric screwdrivers etc.

Also, the thing that really frustrates me about diy is that as I am only 5’5’’, it’s a real gag painting anything at height … it takes far too long!!
Colne Dynamo
Has liked: 301 likes
Total likes: 2889 likes

Post by Colne Dynamo »

I reckon I could be good at DIY. I've had some success at the things I've attempted. What really stops me though...

1. Time. Life is for living. I have no wish to be spending all my valuable free time doing jobs around the house. I want to spend it doing the things I enjoy.

2. Money - No matter how you costed it beforehand, the actual job always ends up costing much more.

3. Patience of others. As I'm doing this in my own time, jobs obviously take longer. So when others in the house show no patience, want things done immediately, and start nagging because something is out of action for more than a day, I give up. I either do it over time at my own pace - or they can go and pay lot's for a professional, but don't expect me to pay towards it!

4. Expectations. Start performing well and I'll end up with a list of DIY jobs given to me by the missus that covers pretty much all my free time all year. Before I know it my life won't consist of anything else other than work and DIY. The missus then starts really looking forward to my retirement so that she can quadruple the amount of DIY requests. I start thinking about working until I die because I'd rather do DevOps than DIY.

5. Perfectionism - I'm a very black & white person. All or nothing. For that reason, unless I know I can do a job perfectly, I won't even attempt it. Every single job is researched to the nth degree.

I think that, if I lived on my own, things would be a lot different. I'd have all sorts of projects on the go... doing them at my own pace as and when without interference.
Last edited by Colne Dynamo on Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 991 likes
Total likes: 516 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

The biggest thing is how difficult it is to refurbished things rather than replace. My wife doesn't get that, I have said that it's easier to rip out the bathroom and start fresh than it is to try to keep everything and just retile, relay a vinyl, etc.

Oh, and the tools and materials, for sure you are going to be spending loads of time going to the wholesalers for odds and sods. God knows how many bloody mastic guns I have hidden away somewhere
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2874 likes
Total likes: 1974 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I don't know where she gets it from but Mrs will have a go at plumbing , bricklaying [ very slowly but well ] , small electrics , shelving , painting and decorating .

I work the TV and choose the evening's programmes , I also mop the floor , hoover and do a bit of light dusting - I am Chief Dishwasher Operator too .
old fart
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 390 likes

Post by old fart »

I don't need reminding every six months about the light in the understairs cupboard, I've said I'll do it, stop going on!
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1853 likes
Total likes: 577 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I loathe DIY. I'm useless at it and never do it, as it will end up badly.

I always pay for someone to do it for me.

That said, i can appreciate someone who is good at their DIY craft. The plumber who fitted our toilet stuff was a genius.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 2002 likes
Total likes: 2241 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

DIY - Don't Involve Yourself
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1964 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I either overthink projects and get stuck on “analysis paralysis” or I underthink them and make a right f*cking mess of them.

What really winds me up is when I pay someone to do something and they do as sh*t a job as I’d have done.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 2002 likes
Total likes: 2241 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^This. We had a saying ot work, "Perfection is the enemy of progress". It meant you had to learn what was good enough and move on to the next task.

Having said that I will admit to being a dab hand at wallpapering and tiling, although I do have to keep in mind the little mantra above when preparing the surfaces.
V-M
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by V-M »

I built a deck once.

And captured stills on cctv.

Then converted it to a movie.

And added (bad) sound.

So yeah plenty of BIY

Anyway...

hammer etc
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:29 am and even built a large patio for my garden.
Sorry for your loss. :smiler:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2554 likes
Total likes: 2838 likes

Post by sendô »

Just today I realised I needed to redo the fence at the front next to the side gate as it’s coming apart because it was put in by some rank amateur cowboy (me).
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 132 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I'm generally pretty good at the 'construction' part. I can do rough carpentry, concrete work, plumbing and anything electrical. However, I balance this with being absolutely ***** at the 'finishing off' part. I just don't have the patience for finish carpentry, tiling, painting and sanding ****.

Mrs Bell is absolutely convinced she's a ****ing genius at all of the latter. However, I still end up paying some other **** to do it.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

V-M wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:22 pm I built a deck once.

And captured stills on cctv.

Then converted it to a movie.

And added (bad) sound.

So yeah plenty of BIY

Anyway...

I read that as "I built a desk once" and looking at the video was thinking "****ing hell! How big is this ****ing desk?" :crylol:
alf git
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1752 likes

Post by alf git »

You're welcome.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 932 likes
Total likes: 597 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I'm relatively useless with DIY, but over the last year or two I've tried to do a few bits and bobs. (My old man was a carpenter/partitioner/all-rounder but never taught me anything).

Anyway, my daily runaround car is a 22 year old Focus, so I've been playing around with bits I can fix myself or not cause too much damage trying to fix. I managed to do a window regulator change which I'l was quite proud of.

Around the house, I've recently fixed a few window locks, where the bar bit fell out of the handle bit. Easy jobs relatively speaking, but something I would have just got my FIL or one of my brothers to come around and sort out.

I've got a leaky gutter union, so going to give that a go soon. I just need a ladder!

I've also had a go at some minor hole filling (oo-er matron) and touching it up with some paint.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2776 likes
Total likes: 1048 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

V-M wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:22 pm
Anyway...

That is impressive - the deck, the video, the soundtrack … not jealous of any of that (…much)!! 😉
jevs
Has liked: 547 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by jevs »

Turned my hand at most things in the past. Money was always tight so I taught myself BIY.

Installed a complete kitchen including basic plumbing and electrics
Ditto bathroom
Love doing brick and blockwork
Patios and decking
Built a 3m x 4m x 2m deep koi pond complete with pergola
Can do fibreglassing, tiling, flooring, artexing, skirting boards, coving etc
Put up numerous sheds, greenhouses and a conservatory

But how anyone can get a lump of plaster on a wall and turn it into a flat, smooth surface is just beyond me.

I do have a lot of friends in the various trades who have always been willing to help for a few courgettes and runner beans!!!!