Stuart Pearson

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 1185 likes

Stuart Pearson

Post by Puff Daddy »

Here's another 'Golden Oldie' to discuss.What were your views on him? Scored 6 goals for us in 3 seasons between 1979 and 1982 , when he hung up his boots, which always looked to me like they were too tight, or too small. At the time we signed him, I thought this seemed an amazing signing, but alas, it wasn't to be and no idea why things never worked out differently
chim chim cheroo
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Stuart Pearson

Post by chim chim cheroo »

But his "cross" for Brooking's header in the 1980 cup final means he was an amazing signing :scarfer:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 823 likes
Total likes: 3744 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I remember his proper goal celebration.

Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 629 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Scored our winner v Tblisi out there I recall
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

He was no Pop Robson!
JLCABA
Has liked: 186 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Pearson scored our equaliser in the 1980 F A Cup semi final at Villa Park against a 10 man Everton right in front of me
Terrific build up as I recall from Dev and Sir Trev
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1563 likes
Total likes: 755 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

I liked Pancho a lot. A terrific player in his Manc pomp - he was injury prone and the wrong side of thirty when he came to us. (Amazing that that age was seen as all but passed it back then). But I was excited by the signing in a way that you only ever truly are when you’re fourteen or so.

He was never going to recreate that England number 9 vibe but I think he did a good job for us. He was clearly meant to be a first teamer in that first year. In his second he was replaced by Satge. Even so he filled in well for us when he could into his third season when we were back in the top flight and he was still very much just a back up.

And maybe you just didn’t get to hear about these things back then but I don’t remember him ever complaining about not being in the first team or wanting out. Very unsung and a proper professional. Can you imagine a recent England CF now being happy to play seconds fiddle in a second division team?

I’ll mostly remember him for fulfilling an unfamiliar role brilliantly in the cup final. Genius by Lyall but without the nous of Pancho it wouldn’t have worked. West Ham fans didn’t complain about playing 4-5-1 that day 🙂. And that winner in Russia. We got our £220k’s worth out of Stu.
Odessa
Has liked: 293 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

Done the old “coffee beans” sign to our support at Vetch Field. I went off him after that.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

A few years before my time but did you know his first goal for us was his 100th in League football ?
Pob!
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 682 likes

Post by Pob! »

He was no Dale Banton :smiler:
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Odessa wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:46 pm Done the old “coffee beans” sign to our support at Vetch Field. I went off him after that.
Pardon my ignorance, what is the old “coffee beans” sign?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 823 likes
Total likes: 3744 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Skandi Brudson wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:06 pmPardon my ignorance, what is the old “coffee beans” sign?

WCpete
Has liked: 1613 likes
Total likes: 3375 likes

Post by WCpete »

I didn't get to see him in a West Ham shirt because my family had moved away from the UK before he signed. Ergo, I associate him with Man Utd and Gordon Hill, Macari, Buchan, Houston, McIlroy and that lot. They were my younger brother's side. I always gave him a pass for supporting them because he became a supporter when they were in Div 2. My memory of Pearson with us is looking like he's having a cardiac arrest after Brooking scores.
brownout
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

One of the more successful 'past their best' strikers that we've bought.
leyton Hammer
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by leyton Hammer »

Quite liked him, didnt score many for us, but a great 1 -2 with Dev in the semi final replay and ran himself into the ground in the cup final
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

It's an interesting question. At the time, I remember being intrigued and excited about a respected England centre forward joining the club. Then, he wasn't really used as a centre forward (sound familiar?) I do remember that, based on optics only, other players respected him. To place him in context, he was no Pop Robson, David Cross or Paul Goddard - all of whom are rightly revered for the way they played and the qualities they brought to the team. Pearson's contributions weren't at all bad, and he did us proud in 1980 and 1981. For all I know a good pro, but I respectfully would place him well down my list of effective signings at the club in this era.
PakChongHammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PakChongHammer »

I liked him. Happy memories for me. I thought he was a damn sight better signing for us than John Radford ever was.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

PakChongHammer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:12 am I liked him. Happy memories for me. I thought he was a damn sight better signing for us than John Radford ever was.
Well that's a topic: worse signing than John Radford.. You'd hope it wasn't many. Probably wasn't in 1978. But now.....?
mushy
Has liked: 681 likes
Total likes: 979 likes

Post by mushy »

PakChongHammer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:12 am I liked him. Happy memories for me. I thought he was a damn sight better signing for us than John Radford ever was.
Thats a pretty low bar you've set there to be fair.
PakChongHammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PakChongHammer »

mushy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:29 pm Thats a pretty low bar you've set there to be fair.
Yeah, fair point! The reason I mentioned John Radford was that both he and Stuart Pearson came to us at similar stages in their careers.
Both players had been highly successful with their previous clubs and were of a similar age and getting towards the end of their careers when they joined us.
One made a decent contribution and one took home a wage packet for doing bugger all.
Still, look on the bright side, at least I didn't mention Derek Hales. Oops, sorry I just did!