Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1964 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Re: Sobriety

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Shabu wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:18 pmI'll have to find something else to fill in that gap.

Back to work today.
Why not just switch to 0% beers? Doesn’t have to be a complete lifestyle overhaul if you just want to get off the grog.
wolf359
Has liked: 1594 likes
Total likes: 1743 likes

Post by wolf359 »

900 days up for today for me. I love these round number milestones. I don’t even need to think about it anymore. Drink doesn’t exist in my world.

How we all doing with the euros? You cannot move without alcohol advertising being thrown down your throat right now. England and beer is so interlinked.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1631 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

Same in Poland, I guess same everywhere.

f*** that ****, great achievement sir, I'll cheer next glass of water for it!
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1282 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I decided at the turn of the year to treat alcohol the way I treated drugs. A very rare, very occasional thing, where I'm insulated from responsibility the proceeding day and my kids will not be affected by my hangover and/or drunkenness.

I had not had a drink since early July 2023 until our home fixture vs Leverkusen where I had 3 pints before the game. It really did taste absolutely wonderful and got me properly buzzed for the game. I felt absolutely nothing beforehand, was genuinely quite sad about it and think it was the perfect moment to imbue the benefits - of which there are some, let's not kid ourselves here - of the booze. Nothing since. I have been to an increasing number of events and done them sober and with zero alcohol options available it really isn't even a thing anymore. Most people don't notice or won't care that you are not drinking now, and I'm secure enough in myself to feel zero peer pressure, always been that way to be honest.

I hosted Christmas this year and noticed the other day there must be 100 cans of beer in my kitchen and maybe 25 bottles of wine/champagne. Didn't even realise they were there, despite being in plain sight, until I was trying to make space for some new furniture. I think this goes some way to suggesting that the temptation to drink is no longer real.

I think this is the balance for me. It's the casual 3 or 4 cans after work on a Tuesday that I think are my issue and that I wanted to rid myself of. The ones that just make you 20% worse the next day, and then the one after etc etc. Zero alcohol beer scratches the taste itch. Being fresh and vibrant and energetic for your kids is motivation in itself.

Now I just need to get my sodding diet back on track.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 559 likes
Total likes: 1551 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Well done Fjthegrey :muscle:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1853 likes
Total likes: 577 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Fell off the waggon Saturday after not drinking for about a month. Big time.

Back on it since Sunday.

Day 2.
Ozza
Has liked: 1085 likes
Total likes: 2686 likes

Post by Ozza »

Still alcohol free since my birthday (114 days ago), fitness has gone up hugely, fittest ive been in over 10 years and blood pressure is down to normal levels (god knows when that was the case).

I don't miss booze at all, had loads of social events where id usually be drinking with my mates but I just don't, got to say they though seeing people smashed when you are sober isn't a pretty sight

Loving the good quality sleeps, the energy, the lack of anxiety, the memory......nothing but upside
Has liked: 4940 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by Sticky »

1607 ~ not out. :hamm:

I think that if you ever get 'truly done' with something, you are already half way there.
swash
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by swash »

Early days for me, just 10 and counting

Pros- Lost a couple of pounds. sleeping better

Cons - Skullcrushing headaches, assume some sort of detox thing, did anyone else experience these?
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

swash wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:56 am Early days for me, just 10 and counting

Pros- Lost a couple of pounds. sleeping better

Cons - Skullcrushing headaches, assume some sort of detox thing, did anyone else experience these?
No, but dehydration/overhydration might be a part of it. If you were a regular drinker, it might take a little while for your body to find its hydration balance again. Keep drinking water, especially in the morning, and taper off in the evening (will help avoid the nocturnal pissing).
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Sipping a cold AF lager in this heat makes me wonder why I ever took up drinking alcohol in the first place. All of the deliciousness with none of the drawbacks.
Noble Man
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by Noble Man »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:11 pm Sipping a cold AF lager in this heat makes me wonder why I ever took up drinking alcohol in the first place. All of the deliciousness with none of the drawbacks.
Can you recommend any? Finding it hard to get one I like - I do like a 0% Guinness but find it gives me the shits after 2-3 whereas I could have half a dozen of the real thing and no issues
r99c
Has liked: 833 likes
Total likes: 434 likes

Post by r99c »

Noble Man wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:55 pm Can you recommend any? Finding it hard to get one I like - I do like a 0% Guinness but find it gives me the shits after 2-3 whereas I could have half a dozen of the real thing and no issues
Personally find Asahi and Heineken 0s to be the best. Don't forget to drink them from a glass [like with any beer!]
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Try them all until you find one you like! I like them all TBH, but I was happy with supermarket lagers when u was a drinker. Fizzy piss is fizzy piss, regardless of the price tag.

Ales are harder and I’ve not found one I really like yet. My favourites were London Pride & Tim Taylor Landlord, and if someone makes an AF version of either, they will become very very rich.
wolf359
Has liked: 1594 likes
Total likes: 1743 likes

Post by wolf359 »

For ale Brooklyn IPA zero on draught (difficult to find but a few restaurants in Manchester I've been to recent have had it) is pretty decent, beer for some reason I like two that I wouldn't touch when I drank. Corona and Peroni zeros both go down really well. All my humble opinion of course.
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1631 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:11 pm Ales are harder and I’ve not found one I really like yet. My favourites were London Pride & Tim Taylor Landlord, and if someone makes an AF version of either, they will become very very rich.
GHOST SHIP IS THE ANSWER (IMO, OBV)
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Igor_E7 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:50 am GHOST SHIP IS THE ANSWER (IMO, OBV)
Have had that, was okay, but I was never much of a fan of Adnams. Certainly not by comparison with Fullers, who've always been my favourite brewery.
cambridge hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by cambridge hammer »

Gave up alcohol on Jan 1st more or less a social experiment. Never been a massive drinker,never drunk a spirit in my life,love the pub, the banter and generally just being amongst mates. It struck me going to West Ham over the last 40 years has been has been about beer ruined by 90 mins of football, then a beer on the way home. Absolutely no problem with this what so ever. Would never ever preach, patronise or advise others what to do. Its a free world. Last week we had a week in majorca and I consciously went without alcohol for the week. This is the first time since I was 16 I have ever done this. I'm 67 now. Spanish have a fine selection of zero beer. I have to say Erdinger was a game changer. Amazing stuff. Not sure when it'll come to a end but a bloke said try hang on till Dec 1st ,cane it for a month,then give it up again. That sounds ideal to me!
Ozza
Has liked: 1085 likes
Total likes: 2686 likes

Post by Ozza »

Yeah Erdinger is my go to, these guys have been making it for well over a decade so they know what they are doing, absolutely quality drink
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Ozza wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:11 pm Yeah Erdinger is my go to, these guys have been making it for well over a decade so they know what they are doing, absolutely quality drink
Big fan here, too. Plus it's a beer you can drink while exercising, which is something I can very much get on board with.