The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1779 likes
Total likes: 295 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

United paid £80m for Anthony.

Alvarez is twice the player — £160m.

Don't let them get away with stupid spending on mediocre players when they try throw their weight about.

Going home with a munter isn't something to brag about, and it isn't going to land you a model on the way.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3135 likes
Total likes: 2101 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Side of Ham wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:55 am The only Edson we’ve seen is the Edson that was prevented from playing his game and instead just used to be another body in the way. It’s no surprise he’s being linked to a manager who knows what he can actually be capable of.

Yet here we have West Ham supporters willing to turn us into a transient mess of a team making too many unnecessary changes.
Yep debut season in what imo was a largely disfunction team. Coming from a team that plays like Ajax to us.
I'm looking forward to Alvarez growing into this league.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 410 likes
Total likes: 1502 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I'd like to keep Alvarez, but surely the idea of buying these £30m-£35m players from Europe or other leagues is that we sell them on at the right moment to make significant money on them?

A £5m-£10m profit isn't going to get us twitching. But at £20m+ there might be a good case to consider it.

It's why - in my opinion - we should constantly be scouting and not just thinking of which positions need upgrading but also having a 'who's next?' list for every position on the pitch.

Personally I think that's what Steidten and whatever analytics and scouting team we have should be doing constantly.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 951 likes
Total likes: 3470 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Side of Ham wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:55 am The only Edson we’ve seen is the Edson that was prevented from playing his game and instead just used to be another body in the way. It’s no surprise he’s being linked to a manager who knows what he can actually be capable of.

Yet here we have West Ham supporters willing to turn us into a transient mess of a team making too many unnecessary changes.
Keep grinding that axe SOH.

Positional discipline is in the gift of the player. Avoiding yellow cards is in the gift of the player.

5 nil up at home and getting a yellow ? Top drawer players dont do that, regardless of who is in the dug out.
Side of Ham
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Side of Ham »

Pinky, so you’re not already grinding an axe towards the new manager by selling off the team for him before he’s had a chance to work with them and make his own judgement?

It is a fact that his debut season was spent playing a way he’d never been asked to play before and I’m proud to have an axe to grind about players being instructed to play a **** way.
Phil Parkes' Gloves
Has liked: 1363 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by Phil Parkes' Gloves »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:08 am I'd like to keep Alvarez, but surely the idea of buying these £30m-£35m players from Europe or other leagues is that we sell them on at the right moment to make significant money on them?

A £5m-£10m profit isn't going to get us twitching. But at £20m+ there might be a good case to consider it.

It's why - in my opinion - we should constantly be scouting and not just thinking of which positions need upgrading but also having a 'who's next?' list for every position on the pitch.

Personally I think that's what Steidten and whatever analytics and scouting team we have should be doing constantly.
Yup, we need succession planning across the pitch, whether that's hand-picked gems from the continent, or from our own youth teams.

It's why I'm surprised we let Anang, Knightbridge and Trott go. Hegyi may be the one they think will make it. Maybe if Fab goes at the end of next season Hegyi will be one of the three 'keepers for 2025/26.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 299 likes
Total likes: 774 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

It would be mad to sell Alvarez. He was out best player for so many matches last season, and someone I think still has a huge amount of untapped potential. I don't think he'll be leaving.

One final thing: GIMEMEZ. Thanks. Bye.
Cottee's Parting
Has liked: 221 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by Cottee's Parting »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:05 am United paid £80m for Anthony.

Alvarez is twice the player — £160m.

Don't let them get away with stupid spending on mediocre players when they try throw their weight about.

Going home with a munter isn't something to brag about, and it isn't going to land you a model on the way.
Ian Holloway reads a West Ham fan site...
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 315 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Sorry but neither Edson or Yanited have any power here. If Edson wanted to treat us as a stepping stone, his agent should have had the nous to insert a release fee. It’s not like we’ve not been open to it with other players.

Edson has 4 years left, he’s not worth £60m+ but we shouldn’t be entertaining any offers below that. If they want him, set the stalls out early. We’ve already got a lot of biz to do, if we have to replace a player we wasn’t expecting too, that doesn’t only mean we have to identify and buy his replacement, we’d have to integrate him too but amongst a raft of other changes.

I’d tell Edson next year, for sure, and I’d tell Yanited if you want him this year, it’ll cost you £20m more than it would next year. Thats fair imo.
ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1779 likes
Total likes: 295 likes

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

Any player sales we don't want (Alvarez) should include a generous profit margin to cover the losses we don't want (Paqueta).
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 6167 likes
Total likes: 3427 likes

Post by MB »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:09 am Keep grinding that axe SOH.

Positional discipline is in the gift of the player. Avoiding yellow cards is in the gift of the player.

5 nil up at home and getting a yellow ? Top drawer players dont do that, regardless of who is in the dug out.
Moyes seemed to have his concerns which worries me. How much is on the demands of Moyes’ football and adapting to the premier league vs the player I don’t know and we will see.

70 odd goals conceded doesn’t just rest on the defence and doesn’t suggest we had a top tier defensive midfielder on the pitch.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 173 likes
Total likes: 813 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

It should be just as hard to sign Alvarez from us as it was for us (and other clubs) to try and sign Pahlinha from Fulham last summer.

The bloke is 1 year into a contract after a very impressive first signing (despite a few detractors appearing in the last couple of matches). It should take mega £££ to prise him away - far more than his actual worth.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 173 likes
Total likes: 813 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Also, kind hilarious if Man U do genuinely want Alvarez, given they signed Sofyan 'better than Rice' (according to Capello) Amrabat last summer instead. We reportedly wanted Amrabat before Alvarez (both fans and club, alike) but the player didn't fancy the move.

That's worked out well, then. Well at least it has for us :smiler:

Still, if they want Alvarez, I'd take McTominay and Amrabat.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Side of Ham wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:19 am Pinky, so you’re not already grinding an axe towards the new manager by selling off the team for him before he’s had a chance to work with them and make his own judgement?

It is a fact that his debut season was spent playing a way he’d never been asked to play before and I’m proud to have an axe to grind about players being instructed to play a **** way.
Where have i advocated selling anyone ?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 2543 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:23 am

As for Edsons actual ability , i am not convinced he is an elite player. Too many yellows, too little positional discipline . Good enough for West Ham United, not really good enough for a club used to playing in the CL.
Absolutely PP
He is an upper midtable Premier League player IMHO. would be amazed if Man U were actually interested given where they want/ expect to be in next couple of seasons
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

MB wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:57 am
70 odd goals conceded doesn’t just rest on the defence and doesn’t suggest we had a top tier defensive midfielder on the pitch.
Indeed. I dont expect much from a DM other than cast iron, rock solid, monk like positional discipline.

Break up opposition attacks, recycle the ball. Repeat .

I think Edson can do that. Avoiding the yellows though is key.
Side of Ham
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Side of Ham »

Alvarez being the only option to play his preferred role in his debut season in the toughest League in the world with his experienced teammates struggling to maintain their formation levels around him was a recipe for disaster. I’ll leave it to the expert coach to draw his conclusion on what he want to do with Alvarez.

The bloke was brought in to replace Rice who himself had decided he didn’t want that to be his role at West Ham anymore.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3135 likes
Total likes: 2101 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

MB wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:57 am
Far more too it for me. We were very defensive but passive. Backing off all over the pitch (which has worked very well before I might add), expecting a single DM to plug all those gaps is optimistic imo.
I think Alvarez suits the intensity like we played vs Leverkusen. Not chasing shadows between opposition triangles. I thought Rice is exceptional at that btw and effectively would allow a 2 vs 3 in midfield at times. He isn't Rice. But he is still very good imo.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 405 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Croydon »

We'd be silly to not accept an over the top bid for Alvarez.

Decent player, but not irreplaceable.
Colne Dynamo
Has liked: 301 likes
Total likes: 2888 likes

Post by Colne Dynamo »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:09 am Keep grinding that axe SOH.

Positional discipline is something he had at Ajax, and something he had when first starting here. That discipline seemed to vanish in the latter part of the season - but then again the same could be said of several others. We looked a mess defensively. There were several matches earlier in the season before we became a mess where I thought he looked our best midfielder by a country mile.