The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

ironilunga
Has liked: 430 likes
Total likes: 1302 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

Post by ironilunga »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:23 am As for Edsons actual ability , i am not convinced he is an elite player. Too many yellows
West Ham potentially face losing tens of millions of £££ following alleged yellow card skullduggery. As such, I suspect they plan to vanquish anything ‘yellow’ related at the club next season. This will include;

Coldplay
Norwich City
Urine
Old Yeller
Certain submarines
Egg yolks
Ear wax
Urine
The Sun (although technically white)
Donovan
The band Yellow (chicka chickaaaa!)
Sherbert lemons
Urine
crispy
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by crispy »

Most people are judging Alvarez on how he played in a Moyes system, at Ajax he was used as a DM but with more progressive responsibilities to move the ball forward rather than back. I would be more than happy to keep him, hes is absolute class and is a perfect player for a lop setup imo. Also think JWP will fit into that role perfectly and we have two ideal CM's for his style of play. Soucek maybe the one that doesnt fit.

Would love to see us sign someone like Karim Adeyami for a LW spot or Mitoma (they wont sell him but that sort of player).

Also think we need to sign a ball playing CB, Hato from Ajax or Saido Sow from Strasbourg would be good options to play in a a rotation of Aguerd and mavropanos (again who i think in a lop play style will flourish) with a youth player/Cress as the 4th choice.

The biggest issue i think is the Wing back options and i can't see us signing the level of player that we need in those spots purely due to the demand and cost.
Liam
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 251 likes

Post by Liam »

Given the squad rebuild we would be stupid to sell Alvarez unless something stupid like a £65m plus offer comes in.

He's settled. Looked great at times (not as good some other times).

Is he irreplaceable? No obviously not.

Is he an integral part to our very thin squad? Yes.

We bought him for £32m on a 4 year deal. Which means he has a current book value of £24m. I hope Sullivan doesn't consider a £40m bid as a quick £16m accounting profit as worth the risk of unsettling an already thin squad.
leer34
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by leer34 »

before the rush to sell, why not see how alvarez performs under a new manager and possibly a new remit given to him?
we have to continue the work of building a team not dismantling one.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 2002 likes
Total likes: 2241 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I think this is just about on topic as it deals with a potential customer's spending record and future plans.

Liam
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 251 likes

Post by Liam »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:33 am I think this is just about on topic as it deals with a potential customer's spending record and future plans.
I think its quite possible that Ratcliffe is going to be the antithesis of Boehly at Chelsea. Tight as a ducks you know what.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Chavs »

The old Brighton model everyone was so desperate for

Buy in and sell to the bigger boys for more £

Will happen with Kudus
Probably will happen with the new Brazilian
Might happen with Alverez

Such a **** way to be, like a small little feeder, getting your tummy rubbed.

Want to keep your best players and build teams, not keep noshing off the bigger clubs developing talent.

Mugs game

People talking numbers like they are getting a cut of the money for the sale of players, DS aint doing a transfer to your bank for you %, we've been jibbed off for years, soppy ****ers, 'yeah if we get £65,000,0000 then we should defo sell cos there is a better Algerian CDM who players for Brossia Sparta in the Latvian 4th division that can play number 6 in a double pivot while moving the ball in transition and supporting the holding role'

Half of you lot are on the register, 100%.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

Doff's hat to Chavs.
mattyD
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 408 likes

Post by mattyD »

Indeed. So far on here we've sold Kudus, Soucek, Alvarez, Aguerd, Zouma and JWP. Who exactly are we buying? We need about 8 players in addition to that lot.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 410 likes
Total likes: 1502 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Liam wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:35 am I think its quite possible that Ratcliffe is going to be the antithesis of Boehly at Chelsea. Tight as a ducks you know what.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him, Brailsford and Co. invest heavily in finding the 'small marginal gains' the way they did with their cycling team.
mattyD
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 408 likes

Post by mattyD »

Not sure that's true Real Madrid's net spend is £200m in 11 years.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 641 likes
Total likes: 1887 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:49 am I wouldn't be surprised to see him, Brailsford and Co. invest heavily in finding the 'small marginal gains' the way they did with their cycling team.
Lance Armstrong in as their new Fitness Coach?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 951 likes
Total likes: 3471 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Colne Dynamo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:23 am Positional discipline is something he had at Ajax, and something he had when first starting here. That discipline seemed to vanish in the latter part of the season - ......... There were several matches earlier in the season before we became a mess where I thought he looked our best midfielder by a country mile.
Oh, i agree, with all of that , bar the ajax bit, only saw him once for them and az tore upfield 4 or 5 times when he was awol.

His early games for us though, he looked good, which is why i think he can do the job, keep it simple, do the basics well and the whole team benefits.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 823 likes
Total likes: 3747 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Chavs wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:41 am Brossia Sparta
I always wanted one of their away kits.
Aceface
Has liked: 447 likes
Total likes: 1708 likes

Post by Aceface »

Chavs wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:41 am Buy in and sell to the bigger boys for more £

Will happen with Kudus
Probably will happen with the new Brazilian
Might happen with Alverez

Such a **** way to be, like a small little feeder, getting your tummy rubbed.

Want to keep your best players and build teams, not keep noshing off the bigger clubs developing talent.
That's the nuance-free version.

Given Paqueta and (it would seem) Kudus have second-year release clauses in their contracts, the real question is whether it's better to not have signed them at all.

That's a defensible position – aim a touch lower, but with more control over the future – but for me I'm fine with the 'sign better players and trouser some money at the end of it' avenue. It does come with the requirement for some chill, and a longer memory of how and why they arrived, when it comes time for them to depart of course. That's the hard bit.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 951 likes
Total likes: 3471 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Liam wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:35 am I think its quite possible that Ratcliffe is going to be the antithesis of Boehly at Chelsea. Tight as a ducks you know what.
Its interesting he mentions Ferusson AND Gill.

I've touched on Gills importance to them numerous times. The executive doing the deal in the modern game really matters.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1629 likes
Total likes: 3412 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Maybe the defending and the goals conceded was due to the whole team.

I feel for Guilherme and any young players we bring in. What patience are they gonna get?

Alvarez was largely good, sometimes fantastic, a few iffy games. First season in England, with a small squad playing twice a week quite often, and in a team that became dysfunctional.
Colne Dynamo
Has liked: 301 likes
Total likes: 2889 likes

Post by Colne Dynamo »

MB wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:57 am 70 odd goals conceded doesn’t just rest on the defence and doesn’t suggest we had a top tier defensive midfielder on the pitch.
45 goals whilst Alvarez was on the pitch.

It's quite interesting looking at the team performance stats with a player vs without a player. Just looking at goals conceded, Mavropanos comes out on top. Alvarez next best.

If we look at expected goals conceded, Paqueta comes out top with Mavropanos close behind.

Goal difference adjusted for when players are on the pitch is also very interesting. We had a goal difference of 0 when Paqueta or Mavropanos was on the pitch. We had a goal difference of -4 when Alvarez was on the pitch. The worst impact appears to actually be Kudus! A goal difference of -19 whilst he was on the pitch.

Stats also show that we score more per 90 mins when kudus is off the pitch compared to when he's on. Wasn't expecting to see that!
Norflundon
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by Norflundon »

Out of the three midfielders that aren’t facing a life ban.
One can def play in a lop system one maybe able to play in a lop system and one definitely can’t play in a lop system
But yeah let’s sell the best one and the only one likely to start next season….great idea!!!
Colne Dynamo
Has liked: 301 likes
Total likes: 2889 likes

Post by Colne Dynamo »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:56 am Oh, i agree, with all of that , bar the ajax bit, only saw him once for them and az tore upfield 4 or 5 times when he was awol.
To be fair that used to happen regularly to us last season too before Alvarez came and when we had the world class Declan Rice instead.