Stonehenge defaced

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

delbert
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 805 likes

Re: Stonehenge defaced

Post by delbert »

last.caress wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:14 amThere's nothing that wrong with this sort of protest, is there (I saw this morning that they'd also powder-paint sprayed a couple of private jets at Stansted)? Peaceful, undisruptive protest is ignored by government, big pharma and the fossil fuel industry; not to mention that this government have pretty-much knackered our right to protest, haven't they?
The weekly pro Palestinian demos in London strongly suggest otherwise.

It's the stunts, not the reporting. Saying that, it'd be best if they wasn't reported at all, starve the twats of the attention they crave then they'll probably go back to sniffing bicycle seats for their kicks.......
kenthammer
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 403 likes

Post by kenthammer »

Viv Stanshall wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:17 am In the remaining years can we have some good weather please as my wife can’t get my y-fronts dry enough to iron them.
Would it be easier if you took them off?
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1252 likes
Total likes: 1776 likes

Post by last.caress »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:41 am Being a decent chap, you wouldn't defend the defacement of any of these. It's appalling behaviour and indefensible, really.
I think it's pretty stupid for sure; it's alienating folk to JSO's otherwise legitimate cause. And indeed, I'd be disgusted had they flung a tin of gloss over Stonehenge, or over the canvas of a masterpiece in a museum, or if it transpired that this stuff they've thrown is a permanent powder coating rather than powder paint which comes straight off.

But I think this very public but ultimately harmless (caveat: assuming that it IS harmless) stunt is infinitely preferable to disruption to travel infrastructure, stopping regular people from getting to their (possibly) unsympathetic workplaces, risking their livelihoods; keeping people from potentially vital, life-saving appointments; causing traffic snarl-ups in which the emergency services become caught.

Now, this next sounds incredibly disrespectful, especially in the written word, but I assure you this isn't the intent and I'll try to clarify, but I'm afraid the ire over Stonehenge's defacement from a religious standpoint is of no import to me. Way off-topic (apologies), but I am an atheist and, as far as I'm concerned, religion has caused - and continues to cause - far more damage to humanity than Big Pharma, the fossil fuel industry and every corrupt government (excepting where they're specifically using religion to coerce folk, whereupon of course they're part of the religion problem) combined. If religion helps some folk to come to terms with their mortality and helps them become better people then that's fine (although I'd argue that people who can be talked into kinder behaviour by religion likely had a predisposition for kindness in the first instance). But, since the dawn of man, religion is often seen and used as a justifiable excuse for division, hatred, harm, murder and eventually genocide. Personally I'd be happy if every single religious structure not listed as a site of historical significance were detonated, today.

That said, I DO care about Stonehenge's preservation as a site of great historical significance and, as I say, would be appalled if JSO, XR, FFJ or anyone else with a fondness for publicity stunts for that matter we're to cause it permanent harm. I'm not sure they have in this instance and, if that's the case, I'll take that over them bringing the M25 or Heathrow airport to a halt all day long. Of course it'd be better all round if they limited themselves to regular, peaceful, organised and policed protests, but would we or anyone else be talking about it if they'd had a quiet walk past Westminster or headquarters of BP or Shell? Would anyone give a toss (and I appreciate the irony of their actions intending to get people engaged, but ultimately pushing everyone Into opposition to what they're doing because of how they're going about it and, in that sense, I agree that they're going about it all wrong)?
r99c
Has liked: 833 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by r99c »

Shabu wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:36 pm Not sure you quite grasp what's happening with climate change, Delbert.

We won't just vanish overnight sometime between now & 2124.

However, weather will get more extreme, storms more violent, droughts more droughty, heat waves longer & hotter, floods in areas that never used to get floods, migrants fleeing now uninhabitable areas & we'll be spending billions trying to combat this.

But let's just focus on Green Party not putting a few $$$ in our pockets & some painting on old rocks while we sleepwalk our way to disaster.
They peddled all this b*llocks in the 70s, it hasn't happened. Then we get morons like JSO pipe up on Twitter after we enjoy a few days of nice hot weather and they mysteriously go all quiet again when it's a bit chilly and overcast throughout the entire first half of June.

People with short memories not realizing that we had storms, droughts, heatwaves etc throughout all of time and not just in the last 5 years.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 991 likes
Total likes: 515 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:10 pm . We know more about how the world works than any species in history ....
That's obviously not true. I've seen the documentaries about the civilisations that were about during human pre-history,, possibly alien in nature or the people of the lost city of Atlantis.

Either way, we were not the first.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:27 am Mars was like Earth once, it didn't have Martians or earthlings (alledgedly) and still managed to bollox the planet up on its own. Anyhow, our solar system is going to colide with Andromeda in the future or it will be eaten by the sun when it turns into a Red Giant - whatever one comes first.

Our outlook as a planet is not good in the long term and I'm worried how I am going to survive those two events. :winker:
We managed relegation on more than one occasion, pretty sure we'll survive that.

After all, can't be worse than squeezing in on the central line at Stratford in the rush hour.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

alf git wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:58 am
As long as one of them wasn't Timmys ride otherwise I'll have to hunt down all the soap dodgers.
FFS, don't give the dwarf any new excuses..
Viv Stanshall
Has liked: 226 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Viv Stanshall »

kenthammer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:40 am Would it be easier if you took them off?
You mean they can be removed ?
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 302 likes
Total likes: 520 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

Well I can sympathise a bit more with this ....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... jet-landed
Viv Stanshall

Post by Viv Stanshall »

As disrespectful as chucking powder at the stones is, it’s nothing compared to how the site was treated by the public before its proper restoration in the 20th century. The Victorians wood regularly pillage the site for stone and even pop along and hold picnics on the fallen stones. How respectful.
Viv Stanshall

Post by Viv Stanshall »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:54 pm Well I can sympathise a bit more with this ....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... jet-landed
They were quickly able to shake it off of Taylor Swifts private jet.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2874 likes
Total likes: 1972 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Some nice pictures of the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge this morning on the BBC -

Here's to brighter days ahead .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 1183 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:22 am Some nice pictures of the Summer Solstice at Stonehenge this morning on the BBC -

Here's to brighter days ahead .
I think this is rather nice, actually. I would like to do this myself. To see the sun rise on Summer Solsice, must be a very nice sight to witness
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

How did ancient man know what day was the longest.

I mean they had no way of measuring time accurately, before they invented proper mechanical timepieces.

so how on earth did they do it?

ToMoS, would you like to share your early years experiences?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 2000 likes
Total likes: 2240 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I think it was more when the sun reached its highest and lowest elevations, and where it rose and set on the horizon. At the summer solstice, otherwise known as midsummer's day, the sun stops climbing higher each day and starts to reach a lower azimuth from then on until the winter solstice, when it reaches its lowest point and then starts rising. Solstice means 'sun standing still'.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:13 am How did ancient man know what day was the longest.

I mean they had no way of measuring time accurately, before they invented proper mechanical timepieces.

so how on earth did they do it?

ToMoS, would you like to share your early years experiences?

They weren't as primitive as you think, you know. Once on a vacation to Walt Disney World, we teamed up with an American couple and agreed to.meet with them back at our hotel for pre diner drinks. We were a bit late for our date, because I got caught up watching an episode of The Flintstones. I apologised for being slightly late but the guy said '"Ah man that's sure OK, gee I love that show" I said " "Well of course, they didn't have TV and they sure as he'll didn't have cars:. He said, "What you're shittin me just howcthe hell they get about"
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

^^^ but that was American cave men, us European types had nothing like that to compare
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:27 pm ^^^ but that was American cave men, us European types had nothing like that to compare

Yeah.. and for a primative man, Fred Flintstone had a brilliant sense of humour
mumbles87
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 988 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

r99c wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:09 pm They peddled all this b*llocks in the 70s, it hasn't happened. Then we get morons like JSO pipe up on Twitter after we enjoy a few days of nice hot weather and they mysteriously go all quiet again when it's a bit chilly and overcast throughout the entire first half of June.

People with short memories not realizing that we had storms, droughts, heatwaves etc throughout all of time and not just in the last 5 years.
I still find it shocking anyone can try and claim climate change doesn't exist and isn't a problem.

Flash flooding is getting worse due , the rain becomes monsoon like because increased temperature allowing the atmosphere to hold more moisture and then dump it faster.

How people can brush it off as "oh they peddled this before" without connecting the dots that it is serious and actually worrying how bad weather is now let alone in 10 years time

But hey let's bury our heads in the sand rather than changing. It's worked so well this far
Shy Ted
Has liked: 457 likes
Total likes: 184 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:01 pm I still find it shocking anyone can try and claim climate change doesn't exist and isn't a problem.

Flash flooding is getting worse due , the rain becomes monsoon like because increased temperature allowing the atmosphere to hold more moisture and then dump it faster.

How people can brush it off as "oh they peddled this before" without connecting the dots that it is serious and actually worrying how bad weather is now let alone in 10 years time

But hey let's bury our heads in the sand rather than changing. It's worked so well this far
Climate change does exist but, remember that the two big gas giants Jupiter 11 times the size of the Earth, and Saturn 10 times the size have just had their closest encounter in nearly 400 years. Also there has been the great conjunction which was the first time in nearly 800 years since the planets aligned. We know what our Moon does to our weather, so imagine what Jupiter and Saturn do as well.