The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Aceface
Has liked: 447 likes
Total likes: 1708 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

Post by Aceface »

It is illegitimate because he plays on the side of the field we have a vacancy on and we only stockpile players for the other side.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

RockyMtnHammer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:12 pm Been linked to Jaden Philogene, a right-footed LW playing for Hull City.

12 goals and 6 assists in the championship last season.
Much admired by a few of us on this thread over the a good few months.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 1625 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:57 pm I make WLH right in terms of spending money on a RB. Not necessarily just because of Vlad potentially being first choice in Jules’ eyes anyway, but because of us knowing Sullivan’s attitude towards spending on fullbacks. Leopards, spots and all that.

Why should I believe a man who spends pittance on RBs and LBs in the past is all of a sudden going to change character?

I imagine Tim will be tasked to find a cheap one from somewhere.
There's that...

But also because we will have a limited budget (and putting our heads in the sand and pretending it is unlimited won't change that) and there are bigger priorities in the squad so I doubt we'll go as high as many would hope.

It's likely that if Ben didn't take the first team spot away from Coufal this season then RB would definitely have been a priority next season with Coufal almost certainly going. It isn't a priority now so we'll likely kick the can down the road and go for a prospect punt I'd imagine and then invest properly next season. Unless that punt comes off.

Any decent cheap, young RBs in Brazil? :grin:
Wessex
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Wessex »

Considering how much Lopball relies on marauding full backs it’s a bit worrying if Ben is gone. Coufal is unhappy and his contract expires next summer at a month shy of 33 years old
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 1625 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

RockyMtnHammer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:12 pm Been linked to Jaden Philogene, a right-footed LW playing for Hull City.

12 goals and 6 assists in the championship last season.
A few months back their owner said they'd only consider offers of close to 30 million for him... I believe Villa get a fair whack of any transfer too...

It lofty to say the least...

He'll need double that return from the Championship for those kind of numbers
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1282 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Wessex wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:05 pm Considering how much Lopball relies on marauding full backs it’s a bit worrying if Ben is gone. Coufal is unhappy and his contract expires next summer at a month shy of 33 years old
Personally I'm fine with our current situation, from the perspective that we need and have to address it, and we will almost certainly be upgrading our right back when we do so.
ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 295 likes

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

Philogene you say?

El brooko79
Has liked: 3137 likes
Total likes: 2103 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Wessex wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:05 pm Considering how much Lopball relies on marauding full backs it’s a bit worrying if Ben is gone. Coufal is unhappy and his contract expires next summer at a month shy of 33 years old
I don't think Johnson is a marauding full back tbh.
For me a better defender than going forward and would be a problem if we had to rely on him as a consistent attacking outlet.
GeeGee78
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by GeeGee78 »

Werent we linked with Kadiouglu from.Fenerbahce ?
If that was legitimate he was brilliant for Turkey, he would be fantastic, fast, energetic, good technique if he is affordable and Enerson really is gojng, hed be fantastic. Seen recent links to Dortmund though
Colne Dynamo
Has liked: 301 likes
Total likes: 2889 likes

Post by Colne Dynamo »

Got lucky with the Rabona there did Phil O'Gene!

Aside from that - I'm impressed with the videos I've watched. He's certainly very good with the ball at his feet and doesn't lack confidence.
El brooko79
Has liked: 3137 likes
Total likes: 2103 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Seems like he might be Bilbao bound but I wonder if the Spanish link could temp Aymeric Laporte. Wanted out of Saudi in Jan.
RockyMtnHammer
Has liked: 434 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

Colne Dynamo wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:19 pm I'm impressed with the videos I've watched. He's certainly very good with the ball at his feet and doesn't lack confidence.
Not trying to be a contrarian but this is exactly how you would have described Benrahma while he was playing for Brentford in the Championship.
Peaches
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 903 likes

Post by Peaches »

I like Philogene, and have said many times we should raid Hull for him and Greaves, but if there is any chance of signing Ferran Torres for £30M I’d take him over the pacage of Philogene and Greaves
RockyMtnHammer

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

How realistic is Torres, though?
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 528 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

OllyWHU6 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:27 pm Apologies, I tried reply to your last comment and kept losing the message.

It doesn’t matter an awful lot to me no. The manager left his last role after less than a year, and the Madrid/Spain debacle does not suggest he is going to be here for the long-term. I think him being gone by the summer is just as likely as here in two years time.

So I’d rather we operate in the model we’re transitioning to, where the technical director / DoF identifies quality players to bolster the squad and the head coach works with them to get the best out of them. The fact that Kilman is explicitly linked to Lopetegui can be seen as a boon now, but could also be a problem in a years time.
Well you should feel reassured then that we've been tracking Kilman for a long while, sniffing around him last summer and january...he's as much a club target as he is a Lopetegui target which is why it seems to make so much sense, despite the high fee.
RockyMtnHammer

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

If we can get Kilman for around £40m I think it we wouldn't regret it. He knows Lopetegui and has succeeded in his system. He's been a target of ours in the past. He's a CB in his prime and we conceded the 4th most goals in the league last year.

It just makes too much sense.

I just don't want to pay £50m for him.
SullySpecial
Has liked: 299 likes
Total likes: 774 likes

Post by SullySpecial »

PHILOGENE. We need PHILOGENE. We also need GIMENEZ. GIMENEZ is the answer to all questions.

Thanks. Bye.
WestSamToo
Has liked: 533 likes
Total likes: 348 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:16 pm Philogene you say?

Phil Parkes' Gloves
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by Phil Parkes' Gloves »

Is there any truth in clubs needing to make sales before the end of the month? If so, are we likely to benefit from that?

Seems to have gone very quiet on the ITK front, on here and elsewhere, after that initial burst when Steidten went mad with the Brazilian bids.

It sounds like Foderingham is all done bar the medical, but that seems to be the only deal close to getting done. The Euros will no doubt slow things down if we're waiting on players or certain dominos to fall, but it makes me think that Lop isn't going to have a lot to play with when pre-season starts.
RockyMtnHammer

Post by RockyMtnHammer »

Phil Parkes' Gloves wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:54 pm Is there any truth in clubs needing to make sales before the end of the month? If so, are we likely to benefit from that?
From a PSR perspective there are clubs that need to balance their books by June 30th. We are not one of those clubs, we're in very good shape from a PSR perspective.

To your point, we should be doing our damnedest to try and take advantage of clubs needing to sell players. It would be a mistake not to do it now while the clubs are facing penalties for being in the red.