In memoriam: Playstation 2

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 824 likes
Total likes: 3753 likes

In memoriam: Playstation 2

Post by Up the Junction »

Been a while since we did one of these!

Released in November 2000, five years after its predecessor - the hugely successful Playstation 2 went on to sell in excess of 150 million units worldwide.

What are your favourite memories of Sony's second and biggest-selling baby to date? Any games/series that you still return to now and again?

And did you prefer the original, chunky console or the slimline version, pictured above?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1324 likes

Re: In memoriam: Playstation 2

Post by fjthegrey »

This is where I got on board the PS train. A top class console all round.

Pro Evo 6 was the best of the franchise.
FIFA 05 is the best FIFA of all time in my eyes.
GTA Vice City is still the god tier of GTA games and GTA 3 was such a significant jump forward I'd imagine it's influence is under appreciated.
FFX and FFXII are top quality entries in the Final Fantasy series, XII probably the last genuinely A tier from Square.
Silent Hill 2 is an all timer, strongest SH game by a mile.
Resident Evil 4 is the strongest Resident Evil game by a distance.
Tony Hawks 3 is the best of that franchise.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1971 likes
Total likes: 2667 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Didn't have one. Had a PS1 and PS4 and couldn't get on with either of them. Will never forgive Sony for effectively ending Sega's console business.
Whitters
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 90 likes

Post by Whitters »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:42 am Didn't have one. Had a PS1 and PS4 and couldn't get on with either of them. Will never forgive Sony for effectively ending Sega's console business.
Worth watching 'Console Wars' if you can find it (it was on Sky) - Sega's downfall was pretty much self-inflicted, driven by the CEO's inability to listen to those who knew best
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Whitters wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:35 am Worth watching 'Console Wars' if you can find it (it was on Sky) - Sega's downfall was pretty much self-inflicted, driven by the CEO's inability to listen to those who knew best
TBH, loss of the console business was less heinous than the way they've sat on their IP and focussed only on mobile games and boring RPGs. I know they're dusting off a few of the classics soon (Sonic, Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Golden Axe, Shinobi), but it's all too little too late IMO.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Countless hours on Gran Turismo and GTA.

I went from PS2 to Xbox 360, back in around 2007. That was my last console (it died on me in about 2013).
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Dreamcast, X360 easily my most-used consoles.

Series S as a Game Pass machine has been okay, but the library's not developed as I'd hoped. Far too much crap on there, not enough Gears of Wars or Dooms.
The Terminator
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 69 likes

Post by The Terminator »

Pro Evo and GTA 3.

I had many a great years playing on that console.
Gormalysis
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Gormalysis »

I got a PS2 for GTA 3 and it was a great console until it fell off the sideboard and died!

I decided not to replace it and moved over the the original Xbox after seeing a mate playing Halo CE, never looked back.
neathiron
Has liked: 536 likes
Total likes: 379 likes

Post by neathiron »

Mine broke the day my youngest son accidentally knocked the console onto the floor while we were playing Everybody's Golf 2. We loved that game, the game is still jammed in there. Moving house this weekend, I'm taking all the consoles with me, even my 48K Spectrum. I live in hope I can get them up and running again some day.