Summer Holidays

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

jastons
Has liked: 986 likes
Total likes: 887 likes

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by jastons »

We were thinking about Italy next year, Lake Garda area. Our boy will be 9 then. Any recommendations?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2874 likes
Total likes: 1972 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Rocketron wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:47 pm I dont understand why the links didnt work.
It was meant to be
The Arnold Landon Mysteries

Hence the ' Thank You , Roy [ Lewis ] ' .

I heated up your reply and the message showed up - old James Bond Invisible Ink trick . :grin:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2773 likes
Total likes: 1047 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

jastons wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:01 pm We were thinking about Italy next year, Lake Garda area. Our boy will be 9 then. Any recommendations?

Not far from Verona - so a bit of culture and maybe take in a football match. Train to Venice is doable as well - trains in Italy are very good. Lake Garda is also about 2hrs drive from the Ferrari museum which is south of Modena (where you can also get some balsamic vinegar 😉)
Eastcote
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Eastcote »

old fart wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:36 pm Found a link
https://www.thefork.co.uk/restaurant/pa ... 10629AT100
ok laying in bed at 10:20 had a few decent beers Peroni on tap top shelf whiskey s you have to pay for big Foff screen for footie, 95% French 4% Italians and us. Music blasting out still p!ace is really nice staff friendly All modern but but but paid any over the top for this *****...... Don't book Club Med Celafu spunk your money elsewhere. Easy jet could not fault them even as a sigh with the pilot and crew before boarding.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Looking at Tunisia next year. Most likely around Easter. I have never been. I have no clue what it is like.
mushy
Has liked: 681 likes
Total likes: 979 likes

Post by mushy »

Hammersfaniow wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:52 pm Just back from 9 nights in our regular hotel in Cala Bona, Mallorca. It’s not over glamorous but it’s amazing for the kids (2 & 4), great all inclusive and we know the area well. I do think it’s a rip off that most travel companies charge the same for a 2 year old as a 22 year old, seats on the plane though I guess.
Yes I'm never sure if this argument, same space required on a plane and both will need some sort of a bed I would guess.
They just don't eat as much as 22 year olds!
Wait until they are of school age though, that's when you will really suffer.
Don't these companies offer free child places or is that a thing of the past?
Eastcote

Post by Eastcote »

old fart wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:36 pm Found a link
https://www.thefork.co.uk/restaurant/pa ... 10629AT100
Taxi booked restaurant booked just having a rest by the pool before also might need to visit the toilet beforehand.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 271 likes
Total likes: 1183 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm a bit surprised there is not a thread, all of its own. ' Strange/odd people you meet on holiday, because you do meet some complete ****wits/ odd balls, knobheads, bell ends. Once, on a holiday to Barbados, I met a group of girls from Newcastle, who had never been to London and many, many years before, when trecking through Italy, a sort of loner guy, was an utter knobhead, attached himself to our group and he hungabout, like a bad smell
Eastcote

Post by Eastcote »

old fart wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:05 pm There's a wonderful restaurant at the bottom of the steps to the Duomo, when we were there a resident pianist was playing the Godfather theme as a minister in all the gear was walking down the steps and welcoming some guys in suits.

Don't miss out on a trip to Taomina & Etna whilst you're there
Just back from Cefalu and visiting the restaurant lovely little place nice food scatty/happy waitress thankfully well away from the square and two big busy restaurants. As the waitress said they get the breeze blowing down past the restaurant before it enters the square. I think that's what she said! Also seemed to be playing the soundtrack to Plebs in the background quietly. (Reggae/Ska) All parties happy with choice Thank you Old Fart for your recommendation well worth a visit. Celafu itself is OK but starting to fill with Americans as is Club Med we are staying. Would ad pics but don't know how.
Cheers O F.
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Have just booked 10 days in northern Italy, with the first three days in Turin before meeting friends for a week near Lake Maggiore. Decided on Turin, as we haven’t been there before and just fancied a few days moseying around before meeting our friends - which is likely to be full on. Any tips for what to do/see in Turin? We’re staying central near the Piazza Castello - I’m already looking at where the Italian Job was filmed.
kenthammer
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 403 likes

Post by kenthammer »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:44 pm Looking at Tunisia next year. Most likely around Easter. I have never been. I have no clue what it is like.
Went there once,bit of a "marmite" place you either love it or hate it the latter for me
Denzil
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by Denzil »

Off to Majorca tomorrow. First holiday with the twins. Not looking forward to the flight, they’re both cranky as fc at the moment with teething but am looking forward to getting away for a nice break. As much of a break as a holiday with two 10 month olds can be.
Misko
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 1545 likes

Post by Misko »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:27 pm Have just booked 10 days in northern Italy, with the first three days in Turin before meeting friends for a week near Lake Maggiore. Decided on Turin, as we haven’t been there before and just fancied a few days moseying around before meeting our friends - which is likely to be full on. Any tips for what to do/see in Turin? We’re staying central near the Piazza Castello - I’m already looking at where the Italian Job was filmed.
Turin is not as overwhelming beautiful as other Italian cities can be, but there are some nice places to visit, especially next to the Po river: Parco del Valentino, Monte dei Cappucini... But all in all, it's also pleasant to just wander without the 'pressure' you can feel in many other Italian touristic hotspots. And of course, the food is incredible.
SoulCircus
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by SoulCircus »

3 nights in Prague later this month, then three in Montenegro in October. Will have ticked off nearly all of Europe after that.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1052 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

pablo jaye wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:27 pm Have just booked 10 days in northern Italy, with the first three days in Turin before meeting friends for a week near Lake Maggiore. Decided on Turin, as we haven’t been there before and just fancied a few days moseying around before meeting our friends - which is likely to be full on. Any tips for what to do/see in Turin? We’re staying central near the Piazza Castello - I’m already looking at where the Italian Job was filmed.
The Tour D'France passed through the area yesterday and I made a mental note about the 'Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi' it looked sumptuously stunning and its open to visitors.

Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi

AS for the city itself, I've only been to Turin once many years ago. The airport was alright :nonpl:
old fart
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 390 likes

Post by old fart »

jastons wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:01 pm We were thinking about Italy next year, Lake Garda area. Our boy will be 9 then. Any recommendations?

Have had 2 good holidays here, one with the grandkids and one as just a couple using it as a base for Verona and ferries to other Garda towns

Always booked our own flights into Verona, plus a taxi to the site and booked direct with Bella italia. Trains at ( a 15 minute coastal walk) Peischeria to Verona or a day trip to Venice
As an opera fan the open air theatre at Verona was a must for me but didn't take the grandkids :winker:

Not a lover of hotels I prefer the freedom of self catering the local fresh vegetables and fruit available is great. Plenty of good restaurants around, there's one or two I could recommend and eating out in Italy is not nearly as expensive as here.

https://www.camping-bellaitalia.it/en/
Tents, bungalows and apartments all self catering and a hotel if that's your bag
Last edited by old fart on Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
old fart
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 390 likes

Post by old fart »

pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Misko wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:28 am Turin is not as overwhelming beautiful as other Italian cities can be, but there are some nice places to visit, especially next to the Po river: Parco del Valentino, Monte dei Cappucini... But all in all, it's also pleasant to just wander without the 'pressure' you can feel in many other Italian touristic hotspots. And of course, the food is incredible.
We’ve been to quite a few Italian cicites and have learned from others too, that it isn’t the most attractive city, but you are totally correct about our reason for going there … to just wander without the pressure … and the incredible food too! As it is August, a lot of Italians will have left for cooler climes, so it should be quieter.

Junco - thanks for the tip, that place looks amazing, will look into that.

Cheers - Pablo.
johnnyb
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by johnnyb »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:44 pm Looking at Tunisia next year. Most likely around Easter. I have never been. I have no clue what it is like.
Take plenty of Imodium with you if you go. I got through a couple of packets when I went a few years ago. Plenty of nicer places to go.
Coops
Has liked: 448 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Coops »

It may seem strange but Mrs Coops has never been to France. I have been several times as I used to go on antique buying jaunts, but it wasn't a holiday and I was always more concerned about getting to the next Brocante than looking at scenery.

We are thinking about going for a jaunt over to France for a week or so, possibly picking a few different places to stay as we travel.
We want to go somewhere that is up to 4/5 hours drive from Calais, that has nice countryside, castles, rivers, food etc.
But I haven't got a clue which region to pick, has anybody here got any suggestions?
Last edited by Coops on Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.