The 2024 General Election : 4th of July.

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 2012 likes
Total likes: 2257 likes

Re: The 2024 General Election : 4th of July.

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

No point donating to the losers is there. Waste of time sending money to people you won't be able to leverage.
Big George
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Big George »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:20 am He has planned for that.

If they aren't certain to obey the whip, they have been deselected . Pointless winning a seat where you see the person elected under a Labour banner going there own way the minute they enter the HoC.

CWG being a case in point.
Those interested in Chingford and Woodford Green might like this podcast from John Harris. I'm not his biggest fan and the level of production makes my teeth itch but he interviews Faiza Shaheen, plus the imposed Labour candidate and IDS. genuienly interesting

Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Big George wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:26 pm Those interested in Chingford and Woodford Green might like this podcast from John Harris. I'm not his biggest fan and the level of production makes my teeth itch but he interviews Faiza Shaheen, plus the imposed Labour candidate and IDS. genuienly interesting

Similar feature in the episode of The News Agents podcast yesterday.

https://castbox.fm/vb/712040154
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1607 likes
Total likes: 758 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Farage parroting Putin’s justification for invading Ukraine ..

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ar ... gel-farage

A paid up traitor.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 419 likes
Total likes: 1329 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ggl6pe52eo

Blast from the political past, the Hindujas bit of a throwback to retro sleaze.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2643 likes
Total likes: 4677 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:59 pm Farage parroting Putin’s justification for invading Ukraine ..

A paid up traitor.
if there's a mad dog next door and you poke the fence, there's a good chance it will try to bite. It's common sense, not treachery.
OFT
Has liked: 3658 likes
Total likes: 2087 likes

Post by OFT »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:59 pm Farage parroting Putin’s justification for invading Ukraine ..

A paid up traitor.
Indeed, he's scum of the lowest order, a traitor as you say Dave, and yet, people from these islands appear to hang on his every word and will vote for him and his party. Someone earlier in the thread said 'reform sound like a laugh' or words to that effect, well funny it aint. Farage is vile and as I think it fair to say his party are made in his image, then public execution would be a suitable end for the ****.

This is the bloke who kneels spit roast between Putin and Trump and he would be our Prime Minister?
I can only think he has a God complex, initiated by his brush with death in that air crash. Fuckin hell, a sliding doors moment for the UK right there.
I despise him
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 1066 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

An apologist for the mad Russian president, those Facebook bots don't come cheap you know.

An apologist for the mad Liz Truss who cost us billions overnight and sent our mortgages sky-rocketing.

An apologist for the billions Brexit has cost us all, it was the wrong type of Brexit apparently :fsake:

Robinson with the coup de grâce - “So, you can’t run vetting but you could find £140bn in public spending savings?”
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 911 likes
Total likes: 3518 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Big George wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:26 pm Those interested in Chingford and Woodford Green might like this podcast from John Harris. I'm not his biggest fan and the level of production makes my teeth itch but he interviews Faiza Shaheen, plus the imposed Labour candidate and IDS. genuienly interesting
The imposed Labour candidate? Are you referring to the candidate selected by the Labour party in accordance with its rules ? Her name is Shama Tatler.

I listened to Harris's podcast earlier, and thought it poor. There was a loud noise of an axe being ground throughout it which didn't help, and it lacked balance. An interesting description of some of the tweets the now Independent candidate had liked as " dodge" may just be the understatement of the year on a serious matter. I felt he should really have pointed out CWG has had 5 ( five) candidates for Labour in the last 24 years.

At the last election, the then Labour candidate improved on her predecessor by just 1500 votes, which perhaps is the strongest indicator of her underlying support. Perhaps locals may be more impressed had she been the only living girl in New Cross, rather than New York.

I thought Shaheens comment in that podcast that if elected she would still vote with Labour on most issues was confirmation the party have called it right to deselect her.

Voting with the party on most issues is what brings down Governments with small majorities.

Fwiw I think the Tory vote will sit at home on July 4th and Labour will gain Chingford and Woodford Green.
Big George
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Big George »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:04 pm The imposed Labour candidate? Are you referring to the candidate selected by the Labour party in accordance with its rules ? Her name is Shama Tatler.

Fwiw I think the Tory vote will sit at home on July 4th and Labour will gain Chingford and Woodford Green.
Shaheen was voted for two years ago in accordance with Labour party rules and deselcted at the 11th hour. Improving by 1500 votes when 2017 was a good result for Labour and 2019 was a disaster is no mean feat.

Shama Tatler came across well in the podcast, but she and her campaign have zero profile. She will probably win as a benefit of the Labour brand but a lot of people are pissed off locally with the way its been handled. The same way they were pissed off at the way Jas Atwal was shafted in 2019 in Ilford South.

Apparently The Newsagents aka Smugcast did one yesterday which I will dig out over the weekend.
Last edited by the pink palermo on Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote truncated
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:39 pm if there's a mad dog next door and you poke the fence, there's a good chance it will try to bite. It's common sense, not treachery.
Farage has said he “admires” Putin. He has the Russian bot farms on his ‘patriotic’ team. He has been paid by Putin via Russia Today. He didn’t get his money because of his “common sense”. He got it because he’s on-side and onboard with a dictator. Of course, you can call it “common sense” if you want - I’ll call him what he is - a genuine, modern day traitor.

The words you’re using are subtler than Putin or Farage but basically you look like you’re aping their justification for the decimation of Ukraine and the murder and rape of tens of thousands of its citizens.

I don’t want to get you wrong though so please answer one question. Do you think Russia was justified in invading Ukraine? Just a yes or no please.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 911 likes
Total likes: 3518 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Big George wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:17 pm Shaheen was voted for two years ago in accordance with Labour party rules and deselcted at the 11th hour.

Shama Tatler came across well in the podcast, but she and her campaign have zero profile. She will probably win as a benefit of the Labour brand but a lot of people are pissed off locally with the way its been handled. The same way they were pissed off at the way Jas Atwal was shafted in 2019 in Ilford South.
Big George, Shaheen was deselected under the same rulebook she was selected by. Or are you suggesting the rules have been broken ?

And yes, Shama Tatler well may win as a result of the " Labour brand", the same brand Shaheen benefited from at the last election. We will see to what extent when the votes come in on July 4th.

As for local people being pissed off, yeah, i get it, but Shaheen was deselected for a reason, perhaps you have more knowledge on that than me- i thought Harris's podcast was especially weak on this, so im not that well informed. However, since you raised the way Jas Atwal was treated, which i am aware of, and yes, it was a disgrace, but consider his behaviour : loyal to Labour, no toys out of the pram, and as a consequence is an even stronger candidate today and a dead cert to be elected in Ilford South.

Shaheen however has chosen a different path , and, in all probability, she will be a fish and chip wrapper in a few weeks. She could have taken it on the chin, could have negotiated a way back in time.......even Sam Tarry had the sense to close the door quietly on the way out the door.

On a general point and i mentioned this the other week, i dont like purges, dont like internal arguments, especially not this close to a General Election but i expect and require every candidate to show loyalty to the banner under which they are standing.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 2549 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Chingford and Woodford Green the constituency where I grew up. Parents still live there and have been members of Labour party there for 50 years. They know Shaheen reasonably well and it is not great they way she been treated. It is Definitely because she is a little too left leaning.
Problem now is Labour vote will be split which offers IDS a chance to retain the seat, which he woikd have had no chance with Shaheen standing for Labour.
delbert
Has liked: 811 likes
Total likes: 832 likes

Post by delbert »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:57 pm Farage has said he “admires” Putin. He has the Russian bot farms on his ‘patriotic’ team. He has been paid by Putin via Russia Today. He didn’t get his money because of his “common sense”. He got it because he’s on-side and onboard with a dictator. Of course, you can call it “common sense” if you want - I’ll call him what he is - a genuine, modern day traitor.

The words you’re using are subtler than Putin or Farage but basically you look like you’re aping their justification for the decimation of Ukraine and the murder and rape of tens of thousands of its citizens.

I don’t want to get you wrong though so please answer one question. Do you think Russia was justified in invading Ukraine? Just a yes or no please.
Challenged on his beliefs over the invasion of Ukraine, and his stated admiration for Vladimir Putin, Farage said he disliked the Russian president personally but “admired him as a political operator” because of the extent of his control over Russia.
Not quite the same thing. Montgomery admired Rommel, doesn't mean they skipped off into the sunset holding each others hands.
On why Putin invaded Ukraine, Farage said: “I stood up in the European parliament in 2014 and I said: ‘There will be a war in Ukraine.’ Why did I say that? It was obvious to me that the ever-eastward expansion of Nato and the European Union was giving this man a reason … to say: ‘They’re coming for us again,’ and to go to war.”
He added: “We provoked this war. Of course it’s his fault, he’s used what we’ve done as an excuse.”
Others have said similar........
Viv Stanshall
Has liked: 226 likes
Total likes: 486 likes

Post by Viv Stanshall »

fjthegrey wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:57 pm No point donating to the losers is there. Waste of time sending money to people you won't be able to leverage.
People have been sending money to the Labour Party for years though.
Viv Stanshall

Post by Viv Stanshall »

I see the Labour Defence Force are doing a good job of not being at all bothered about Farage and the Reform movement.
Viv Stanshall

Post by Viv Stanshall »

delbert wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:03 pm He's been banging this drum for ages, when he's not banging foxes to death that is........
Isn’t this the bloke that everything he’s touched, has failed in court so far ?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2643 likes
Total likes: 4677 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:57 pm Do you think Russia was justified in invading Ukraine?
No.

Now you can reciprocate, "do you think it's wise to take idealistic positions when you know they will create extremely bad outcomes , when adjusting for reality will lead to considerably better ones?" Yes or no.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

delbert wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:26 am Not quite the same thing. Montgomery admired Rommel, doesn't mean they skipped off into the sunset holding each others hands.

The quote you put down said ... Farage said he disliked the Russian president personally but "admired him as a political operator" because of the extent of his political control over Russia.

Putin as we know has 'political control' over Russia not because he is wildly popular and wins free and fair elections. He 'wins' them because he is a dictator in all but name who suppresses political opposition and dissent and has full control of the state apparatus which he wields to intimidate and kill political opponents, including on British soil. If Farage "admires" then that says all you need to know about the man and makes me wonder what he would find acceptable to do over here if he ever had the power to do so.

And yes Montgomery admired Rommel, but then again Monty didn't take money from Rommel or use a 1940's Rommel-paid-for equivalent of bot farms to help him. Farage has benefitted from Putin, and the Russian dictator isn't doing this for Farage out of the kindness of his heart. There's a quid pro quo and Farage blaming NATO and the EU for Russia's invasion of Ukraine is part of that. Also of course, it allows Farage to blame the EU again, as they of course are the font of all of our ills.

Delbs, whilst you and I don't agree on politics, I can see that you're clearly one of the human beings on the planet. Are you comfortable with Farage taking Russian help/ money and being a Russian apologist/ dupe/ supporter?

On a wider point, I thought Farage was all about sovereign nations 'taking back control' and doing what they wanted regardless of what bigger, more powerful nations wanted them to do? If that's the case then you'd think he'd champion Ukraine's right to not have to be subservient to Russia and to accept that they have every right to make their own decisions as to whether or not to be in organisations such as the EU even if he himself, isn't a fan of them. Otherwise, he's just being a hypocrite isn't he?