The Police

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

delbert
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 805 likes

Re: The Police

Post by delbert »

Estuary wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:43 pm Not enough coppers, not enough prisons, and seriously not enough courts and justice officials.
Working on the assumption that we have a finite number of criminals who commit the majority of crimes then if we had more prison places and a functioning justice system willing to use them then we may get away with having low police numbers, but we ain't so we can't........
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1563 likes
Total likes: 755 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

It’s a generalisation of course, but still a good rule of thumb that the higher the rank the more likely they are to lack integrity. Even so, just when you think you can’t be shocked any more …

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ceqq74pg1evo.amp
hammer etc
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by hammer etc »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:55 pm It’s a generalisation of course, but still a good rule of thumb that the higher the rank the more likely they are to lack integrity. Even so, just when you think you can’t be shocked any more …

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ceqq74pg1evo.amp
Incredibly he was supposed to be a good officer and did not have to do it.
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

hammer etc wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:15 am Incredibly he was supposed to be a good officer and did not have to do it.
It's just bizarre Hammer. Walter Mitty-esque.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1853 likes
Total likes: 577 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

How stupid can you get?

If I was gonna pretend I had war medals I would at least get fake ones that tied in with my age. Awarding yourself a medal for a campaign that took place when you were 15 YO is imbecilic behaviour at its finest.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1853 likes
Total likes: 577 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:28 pm Discovered this weekend that here in the Shire, there are a grand total of FOUR coppers covering 420 square miles.

Now, whilst Lincs isn't the most densely-populated county, that seems incredible. Bearing in mind it includes Skegness, with its holiday resorts etc.
All of them must have been just down the road to me today. This happened today and it was really close to where I live. https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... re-9361868
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2169 likes
Total likes: 1371 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

WHU Independent wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:57 pm How stupid can you get?

If I was gonna pretend I had war medals I would at least get fake ones that tied in with my age. Awarding yourself a medal for a campaign that took place when you were 15 YO is imbecilic behaviour at its finest.
As he has earned over 100k of taxpayers money a year for years and years and got away with it.

Not that stupid. Should be having his property seized.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:54 am It's just bizarre Hammer. Walter Mitty-esque.
What makes it even more bizarre is that every medal awarded to a serviceman in the 20th Century has the awardee's name, rank, unit and number engraved on the bottom edge of the medal so it could have been checked if anybody had doubts. The fact that he was only 15 at the time of the Falklands Campaign should have raised alarm bells but I guess working in an environment where there aren't any detectives would explain how he got away with it .... oh hang on ... :chin:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2062 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Meanwhile our prisons are almost full.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx777w9vgv9o
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 2001 likes
Total likes: 2241 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Hammer1966
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 183 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

This makes for grim reading https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/art ... dApp_Other

In other more personal Police news - I've had the misfortune recently to be a victim of crime (GBH) and have found myself dealing with the Met Police. I'm related through marriage to two Police Officers (one in the Met and one up North). Both have been amazed at the lax way in which my case has been dealt with.

The original assault was attended by two officers who were there immediately. I spent a week in hospital post an emergency operation (kudos to an amazing NHS trauma team in St Mary's, Paddington) and then started to call the Police to find out what was happening with the case. Apparently the officers who attended hadn't 'correctly' entered the details of the assault so there was no crime reference number. Thereafter followed regular calls and online requests from me for updates. Under my own steam (and with the help of my family) I provided details of witnesses and the location of 3 separate CCTV cameras that showed the assault. I sent photos of my injuries and CT scans from hospital. It took 3 weeks before a Detective Sargent called me to let me know they were actually investigating after I'd sent yet another email. Yesterday a DC called and finally took a statement. 3 weeks and a day since the assault.

I will say that when I have managed to actually speak to an individual they have, in the main, been extremely apologetic for the lack of activity.

I get that they are swamped with work, numbers have been decimated in the last few years and a large number of new recruits are struggling to find their way but I seriously hope I never have to have anything to do with the Police again in in my life. The assault and subsequent physical injuries are stressful enough without having to actively manage the Police investigation. There have been times during the last few weeks when I actually regretted contacting the Police at all. If it hadn't been for my wife I probably would have given up after the very first call.

My nephew was accepted as a Met Police trainee DC last year. He left after 3 months. He was never in a million years a suitable candidate and I've no idea how he even got through the initial interview phase.

All the above is obviously anecdotal and I sure plenty of people who are victims of crime could provide details of sterling work by compassionate and hard working officers (the two I know are for sure in that category) but there is definitely a major problem with the Met Police that needs fixing.
delbert
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 805 likes

Post by delbert »

Sorry to hear your news and hope everything turns out OK for you......
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1253 likes
Total likes: 1777 likes

Post by last.caress »

Can only echo what delbert has already said there, Hammer1966. I'm sorry to hear what's happened to you and I hope for nothing but the best for you. :heart:
DaveWHU1964

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Hammer 1966. What the lads said ^^^. Horrible story - sorry that it happened to you.
smuts
Has liked: 1638 likes
Total likes: 1592 likes

Post by smuts »

All the best Hammer 1966.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 4679 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I echo what others have said mate, all the best to you.

One thing I will say in defence of the police, certainly in London.

They seem to need to divert their officers to policing marches and protests on an almost constant basis, it's got to significantly distract from the day job.

I worked public sector for both civil service and NHS and know that persistent vexatious behaviour by a minority detracts from the service the quiet majority receive, sometimes significantly and distressingly so.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 888 likes
Total likes: 2155 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:09 am
They seem to need to divert their officers to policing marches and protests on an almost constant basis, it's got to significantly distract from the day job.
Crowd control officers don't investigate GBH level offences. Those are two different types of Met Police work. The latter is borough based and the CID department used to be divided up between types of offences (with a robbery squad, a serious violence squad etc etc).

Over the last decade, or so, there has been a significant issue with the retention of staff, as well as the introduction of what is referred to as TDC status (trainee detective constable). Sadly, the quality has dropped at the same time that that numbers were depleted. People are struggling to cope with the workload. Often what appear to be fairly straightforward cases take up 18 months of investigation, before another 18 months pass in terms of court backlog.

There's something clearly going wrong for you to have to chase up people only to then discover that basic procedures have not been properly followed. Sadly, it is a regular occurrence.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 823 likes
Total likes: 3744 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

WHU Independent wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:00 pmAll of them must have been just down the road to me today.
The area I referred to covers, I'm told, Skeg to Horncastle. Hykeham would be a different lot.

'66, sending best wishes.
Hammer1966
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 183 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Thanks for the best wishes. I'm focusing on the fact that one bad thing happened to me and was followed by numerous good things from total strangers (ambulance, nurses, doctors, orderlies, volunteers etc).

The TDC thing was where I was going with my thoughts. I've thankfully never had to deal with CID before and it's obvious they are not staffed up even for a serious crime like GBH. The decision to open it up to TDCs a few years back hasn't worked and their filters for hiring trainees are not fit for purpose from what I've seen. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, maybe not, but it's left a bad taste.