The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio

westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 1625 likes

Re: The Summer Transfer Thread 2024

Post by westlondonhammer »

Lovejoy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:35 pm No, you said Coufal, Zouma-Mavro Kilman Emerson isn’t that bad considering the defence that finished 7th. We conceded a recorded amount of goals with that defence, Kilman isn’t good enough to suddenly make the other 3 good defenders.
I know what i said

They are good defenders. Team discipline, tactics, playing more to players strengths can all bring the best out of those players. A bit like we did with an arguably inferior defence that got back to back top 7 finishes and a European semi, the point you missed.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 1025 likes
Total likes: 1076 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:07 pm I know what i said

They are good defenders. Team discipline, tactics, playing more to players strengths can all bring the best out of those players. A bit like we did with an arguably inferior defence that got back to back top 7 finishes and a European semi, the point you missed.
No I didn’t miss it, that defence had said Zouma & Coufal in it, they were better defenders then than they are now, both easily on the decline. Not being funny but sitting deep defending like we did under Moyes suited players like Coufal, Zouma & Cresswell. Coufal Zouma Dawson cress is a better defence that Coufal zouam Kilman Emerson imo.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2182 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Zouma is, or at least was, a better defender than Kilman will ever be.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Lovejoy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:27 pm No I didn’t miss it, that defence had said Zouma & Coufal in it, they were better defenders then than they are now, both easily on the decline. Not being funny but sitting deep defending like we did under Moyes suited players like Coufal, Zouma & Cresswell. Coufal Zouma Dawson cress is a better defence that Coufal zouam Kilman Emerson imo.
Dawson was always the weak link when paired with Zouma. Ogbonna-Zouma was when the defence truly looked as good as any in the league.
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

Had a brief chat with a Moroccan guy I know today at work. He mentioned to me about our interest in a centre half whom he couldn't remember, it was Max Kilman when he checked his phone. It was a Moroccan website and I spotted it was part of a story about Aguerd, who is from his home town and whom he always asks me about. We both had to dash but the story linked Aguerd to two French sides, one was Lens, can't recall who the second Ligue 1 side was.
Wessex
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Wessex »

More I read about and watch Lop’s tactics the more worried I am that we don’t at least seem to be prioritising full back signings. Lots of time to go though so I’m probably being a wet blanket
I am Legend
Has liked: 1826 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:40 pm Zouma is, or at least was, a better defender than Kilman will ever be.
Zouma is a top defender. It is his injuries and health that mean he drops down a few tiers.

If he was fully fit and healthy knees, he's worth 40m+ and would get into most PL teams. But we all know the issue.

It's a shame. Maybe there is hope with his clean up ops this summer. But hard to come back from his injuries.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1826 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Wessex wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:30 pm More I read about and watch Lop’s tactics the more worried I am that we don’t at least seem to be prioritising full back signings. Lots of time to go though so I’m probably being a wet blanket
We have a very good fullback in Emerson. Coufal will do for a season but we'll have to wait and see which LB, RB's we bring in.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 335 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Moyes built a good squad of players, time for Steidman and Lop to show the reason he had taken us as far as he could. No excuses etc, Fan's wanted Moyes out for a long time, and it was time for a change, let's see some change in the squad that will take us to the next level that we are meant to be aiming for.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 954 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

WCpete wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:15 pm Palace are going to be flush with cash by the end of this window, assuming 2 or 3 of their other stars leave too. Wonder how they'll spend it all.
On some decent bogs would be a start.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:42 pm Moyes built a good squad of players, time for Steidman and Lop to show the reason he had taken us as far as he could. No excuses etc, Fan's wanted Moyes out for a long time, and it was time for a change, let's see some change in the squad that will take us to the next level that we are meant to be aiming for.
Easier said than done :D
Wessex
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Wessex »

I am Legend wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:32 pm We have a very good fullback in Emerson. Coufal will do for a season but we'll have to wait and see which LB, RB's we bring in.
Emerson is a great footballer but he’s not creative. Coufal is not a great footballer but he’s got a good cross. We need better full backs
The Straw
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by The Straw »

WCpete wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:15 pm Palace are going to be flush with cash by the end of this window, assuming 2 or 3 of their other stars leave too. Wonder how they'll spend it all.
I think they'll spend it wisely and already will have a plan that doesn't revolve around favoured agents. Dougie Freedman has done a fantastic job there. Very good at his job.
funky chicken
Has liked: 327 likes
Total likes: 1277 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Jules was happy to sign Dawson and regularly start him next to Kilman and Daws isn’t exactly Bobby Moore with the ball at his feet.

If he could make a defence effective with Daws in it there’s no reason he couldn’t do that with Zouma at his peak best.

The trouble is, is Zouma at his peak best anymore? Or has his knee finally got the better off him? From what I saw in the 2nd half of last season, I don’t see how the medics, let alone a different training regime under the new coaching staff, or less competitive games, will make a difference. He looked a busted flush to me. At times it was like watching some of Zabaleta’s last remaining games for the club he looked that painfully past it, which sounds crazy as Zouma is still 29, when a lot of centre halves are playing to their absolute best.

If I was in Jules’ shoes I’d let him go should any club come in for him. Heck, even if we decide to only let one of Zouma or Aguerd go I’d still choose the former over the latter to be on their bike and that’s saying something as I’m not convinced the latter is physically tough enough for the Premier League.

Preferably I’d roll the dice and let them both go. Even if 1 of the 3 centre halves we bring in is a young, cheap punt. I’d like to think Kilman and the other one we bring in couldn’t do any worse.
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

Kilman is decent but never a 45 million player, especially with the reported budget.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2407 likes
Total likes: 805 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Ironing Board wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:42 pm Dawson was always the weak link when paired with Zouma.
Cobblers.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3378 likes
Total likes: 3256 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

The Straw wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:54 am I think they'll spend it wisely and already will have a plan that doesn't revolve around favoured agents. Dougie Freedman has done a fantastic job there. Very good at his job.
Spot on!
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Takeiteasy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:50 am Cobblers.
It’s simply a fact. Go back and watch the tapes. Dawson has become better and better the longer it has gone since he played. He was a very good backup who stepped up well when needed, but he was never as good as prime Ogbonna.
Last edited by Ironing Board on Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denzil
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by Denzil »

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 6168 likes
Total likes: 3430 likes

Post by MB »

I am Legend wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:32 pm We have a very good fullback in Emerson. Coufal will do for a season but we'll have to wait and see which LB, RB's we bring in.
A very good fullback who doesn't create and cannot defend? :eh: