Today i bumped into...

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

stop_hammertime
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: Today i bumped into...

Post by stop_hammertime »

Popped to the club shop on my lunch break...Bumped into Vladimir Coufal and his family. Lovely chap.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

My Missus bumped into Mike Tyson in San Francisco airport tonight.

Told him I was a fan & got a photo :grin:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Why is a convicted rapist so revered? Never understood it.

You wouldn't come on here and say you got a selfie with Adam Johnson and be proud of it, so why Tyson?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Heinz-Harald Frentzen (work related). He was an absolute delight.

He also told me that he'd spent about 10 minutes driving on the wrong side of the road whilst on the way to our meeting and another driver had shouted out the window 'Learn to drive you prick!'. Which his daughters (who were both in the car) found hilarious!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Shabu wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:10 am My Missus bumped into Mike Tyson in San Francisco airport tonight.

Told him I was a fan & got a photo :grin:
We bumped into him, in Vegas about 10 years ago.

Saw Lennox Lewis out there too.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

-DL- wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:35 am Why is a convicted rapist so revered? Never understood it.

You wouldn't come on here and say you got a selfie with Adam Johnson and be proud of it, so why Tyson?
If you looked into it and saw how much abuse he went through as a child and then how he's managed to turn his life around from the horrible person that he was to the man he is now you might understand a bit more.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Shabu wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:52 pm If you looked into it and saw how much abuse he went through as a child and then how he's managed to turn his life around from the horrible person that he was to the man he is now you might understand a bit more.
I do understand, but I will never make excuses for rapists or any other kind of sex offender, nor will I revere them or see them as heroes.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Tyson it seems, still has anger management issues.

https://www.vladtv.com/article/282472/m ... 18mjW3dCuQ
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Was that you sat behind him on the flight, Shab?
S-H

Post by S-H »

To be fair, he did ask the child to "thop kickin hith theat" before he pummelled him/her, so they had it coming.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

So it turns out Mrs Bu met Tyson immediately after he slapped the drunk bloke :lol:

Now everyone at work wants the inside scoop on what happened.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

-DL- wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:04 pm I do understand, but I will never make excuses for rapists or any other kind of sex offender, nor will I revere them or see them as heroes.
I get your point but two things about this.

Tyson was ****ing horrible back then. He'd been sexually abused as a kid and was left free to run the streets of Brooklyn back in the crime ridden 70s. He was the typical example of a person being raised in a terrible environment becoming a terrible person. He should have been in jail long before the Desiree Washington case.

But through counselling, therapy and a lot of honesty he's become a much better human being. What he did was very wrong but he served time and is not that person anymore.

Part 2 - in the same year as the Tyson case one of the famous Kennedy family had a trial for a rape case. The evidence was much much stronger in this case. It was a very violent rape and the lady went to a rape crisis centre immediately after.

The white bloke from an elite American family got found not guilty while the black bloke from the hood got found guilty.

Now I ain't making excuses for Tyson. Far from it. But he's forever known as a convicted rapist whereas the American blue blood is a Kennedy.

Tyson's case was a he said she said. I believe her. It wasn't violent but I bet she was terrified.

The Kennedy case was violent. She had physical signs of abuse. He's Scott free.

We all know what America is like when it comes to race issues.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Shabu wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:52 am I get your point but two things about this.

Tyson was ****ing horrible back then.
Well with the videos circulating at the moment, he doesn't seem a particularly nice bloke now either.
Shabu wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:52 amPart 2 - in the same year as the Tyson case one of the famous Kennedy family had a trial for a rape case. The evidence was much much stronger in this case. It was a very violent rape and the lady went to a rape crisis centre immediately after....
So because a white bloke didn't get found guilty, Tyson is excused from being a convicted rapist?

Let's be realistic here, he gets a free pass because he's a 'bad-ass' boxer. I find it extremely strange and disturbing that people try and justify their worship of said convicted rapist with stuff like you've posted above, that bares no relevance as to why a convicted rapist is worshipped how he is.

If he wasn't a 'bad-ass' boxer, then he'd rightfully be ostracised along with the likes of Adam Johnson in the eyes of society - but instead, it actually seems you're trying to justify him being a sex offender because he was found guilty but a white bloke wasn't who was alleged to have raped somebody at roundabout the same time.

The injustices of the US Judiciary system still doesn't let a convicted rapist get off the hook, and is a shallow justification as to why a convicted sex offender gets hero worship - and that clearly still has self control and anger issues.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Thnake on a plane.

One of the greatest heavyweights of all time, possibly the most exciting fighter of his generation, was certainly a favourite of mine, I still like to watch his fights now, however as a human, he is pretty repulsive, despite his upbringing, which having read his book, I'm fully aware of, it's never acceptable to commit the crime he did.

-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

S-H wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:42 pm Thnake on a plane.

One of the greatest heavyweights of all time...
Yep, I completely agree. He was a fantastic fighter - but to a lesser 'celebrity' degree as they were nowhere near as famous as he is, but I used to like Gary Glitters music, I was a fan of Lost Prophets - but I've not played any since. It just wouldn't feel right doing so - and if I was to ever bump in to them in the street, (not that it's likely with the amount of porridge they're doing) there's no way on this earth I'd want a selfie with them, and yet this convicted rapist seems to have this thing where because of his fame, this heinous crime doesn't seem to matter.

It's that attitude I've never been able to grasp. I get the idea and concept of forgiveness, but certain things are just unforgivable, no matter how much time has passed - and rape is one of those.
LittleChris
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by LittleChris »

-DL- wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:00 pm I was a fan of Lost Prophets - but I've not played any since. It just wouldn't feel right doing so - and if I was to ever bump in to them in the street, (not that it's likely with the amount of porridge they're doing) there's no way on this earth I'd want a selfie with them,
I thought it was just Watkins that was convicted and the rest of the band dis-associated themselves. Is that not the case !?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

It was Watkins. They've now got a new singer and are known as No Devotion.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Ally McCoist, london city airpprt.

A perfect gent. Wished west ham well and said he hoped to get us in the final.

Thought Rangers had a tough game vs Leipzig.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:03 pm Thought Rangers had a tough game vs Leipzig.
I hope he's right.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Was at the funeral of our ex football Secretary Peter Barnes last Friday

He was also Spurs secretary, and also a bigwig in the FA, so there were some ex Spurs characters there Chris Hughton, Clive Allen, David Pleat, Sol campbell. Chris Hughton a gentleman as always