What Are You Listening To Right Now

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now

Post by szola »

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

szola wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 am My copy came in the mail on Thursday, gave it a spin this weekend.
Lovely!
It is a nice album, albeit just a touch samey.

Not a patch on the one before, imo, but I did go nuts for that one.
bunk
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by bunk »

Interesting. On first listen i'd rate this as his finest work since Departed Glories (or even beyond that). But my favourite era of Biosphere was his early 90s stuff, the ambient techno days, so i'm overchuffed he's returned somewhat to those sounds on this one.

I've yet to listen to the majority of these but 2022 has been solid bunch of names with albums so far... Biosphere, Burial, Shinichi Atobe, Soichi Terada, Gas. Admittedly the latter i found unlistened with the inclusion of some high-pitched bleep throughout the record, a strange decision from old Wolfgang Voigt. Now...

last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

Today:

A quartet of Sabbath's non-Ozzy offerings. From these, it's The Headless Cross - possibly the album held in the highest esteem from these four - and Born Again - almost certainly the aalbum regarded with the most contempt - which I like the most. Neither are a patch on their early/mid 70s glory days, for sure, and I guess given Ian Gillan's pedigree I can see how people might've found Born Again a fairly crushing let-down at the time. But at least on tracks like Disturbing the Priest, Digital Bitch and Keep it Warm Sabbath still sound like a band who mean business, even if business isn't thriving as once it was. They sound a lot more conventional on The Headless Cross , but they also sound considerably more technically adept; When Death Calls and Kill in the Spirit World were as good as anything else happening in Metal at that point, and if much of the rest of the album was still a little cheesy, a little eighties, well, it was top-tier cheesy eighties at least. The Headless Cross could hold its head up alongside most of Ozzy's output across that decade, anyway.

On Heaven and Hell (Ronnie James Dio's first go of three behind the Sabbath mic) and The Eternal Idol (Tony Martin's first go of five; The Headless Cross was his second), Black Sabbath sound to me like any number of well-meaning but steadfastly 2nd-tier metal bands contemporaneous with that time, and I think that hearing them plod along competently but unremarkably like a Helloween tribute act feels a whole lot sadder to me than hearing them f*** it up spectacularly.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

szola wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 am My copy came in the mail on Thursday, gave it a spin this weekend.
Lovely!
Yes, this is much more my bag than that last Beethoven one. I know some of us on here loved it but I just couldn't get into it at all. It's early days with this one but I like the concept and a couple of the tracks have got their hooks in.

Although tbh I've mainly been on a Cocteau Twins binge the last few days :)
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Having watched the doc about this album on the Beeb and read Tenement Kid, I’ve been spinning a few of their tunes.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

One for Bunk, Proph and maybe Korea Hammer.

Mate of mine makes some bad ass new skool acid techno. All on analogue equipment. Here's one from 2015. Only for the headstrong!

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

last.caress wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:08 pm Today:

A quartet of Sabbath's non-Ozzy offerings. From these, it's The Headless Cross - possibly the album held in the highest esteem from these four - and Born Again - almost certainly the album regarded with the most contempt - which I like the most. Neither are a patch on their early/mid 70s glory days, for sure, and I guess given Ian Gillan's pedigree I can see how people might've found Born Again a fairly crushing let-down at the time. But at least on tracks like Disturbing the Priest, Digital Bitch and Keep it Warm Sabbath still sound like a band who mean business, even if business isn't thriving as once it was. They sound a lot more conventional on The Headless Cross , but they also sound considerably more technically adept; When Death Calls and Kill in the Spirit World were as good as anything else happening in Metal at that point, and if much of the rest of the album was still a little cheesy, a little eighties, well, it was top-tier cheesy eighties at least. The Headless Cross could hold its head up alongside most of Ozzy's output across that decade, anyway.

On Heaven and Hell (Ronnie James Dio's first go of three behind the Sabbath mic) and The Eternal Idol (Tony Martin's first go of five; The Headless Cross was his second), Black Sabbath sound to me like any number of well-meaning but steadfastly 2nd-tier metal bands contemporaneous with that time, and I think that hearing them plod along competently but unremarkably like a Helloween tribute act feels a whole lot sadder to me than hearing them **** it up spectacularly.
Sabbath are my absolute favourite metal band bar none. Love 'em. As for Born Again, it was the first album I ever heard from Sabbath (I borrowed it from a library, remember them days?). I still rate this album as one of their best, most underrated track "Disturbing The Priest".

Heaven & Hell is a superb album, what a great album to put all the doubters in check after Ozzy left. :bump:

Geezer Butler is my all-time favourite bass player and a major influence on my bass playing and I will be eternally grateful for discovering his playing.
Got a Headless Cross tattoo on my leg I love this band so much.
S-H

Post by S-H »

This guy is the nuts!

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

If Beefheart was transplanted to 21st century Newcastle, and grew up on English folk instead of the blues......

S-H

Post by S-H »

Like, proper good.

Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

About ten years back, when my eldest was about 16, he had a Spanish exchange student staying with us. The kid was a big hip hop fan, and so I took them to see Ugly Duckling. He was dead excited as it was the first gig he'd ever been to.

After the show, Andy Cooper was on the merch stand when I went to buy the kids something. I told him it was Miguel's first gig, and he gave the boys a couple of CD's (signed), a t shirt each (signed), a couple of beers ("It's legal if they're not buying them, right?") and generally bigged them up for a few minutes. They went home with the biggest smiles ever.

Cracking feller, great performer.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:40 am If Beefheart was transplanted to 21st century Newcastle, and grew up on English folk instead of the blues......
Love him! This is one of my favourite lyrics of recent years:

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

https://biosphere.bandcamp.com/album/sh ... onus-album

Managed to buy the last LP of this beauty now playing

:smiler:
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Korea Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:42 pm Love him! This is one of my favourite lyrics of recent years:

Sounds like the lead singer from Field Music, which I guess isn't that much of a surprise given they are from Sunderland.
Cockneyboy311

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:40 am If Beefheart was transplanted to 21st century Newcastle, and grew up on English folk instead of the blues......

What did I just watch? That was mental, but in a good way.

I'm confused, but I'm smiling so I must kind of like it.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Korea Hammer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:42 pm Love him! This is one of my favourite lyrics of recent years:
Have to confess I've never heard of him before but those two tracks are right up my street.
:newthumb: