West Ham Utd 2 Aston Villa 1 (04/11/09)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Aston Villa: match thread

Post by miles »

The compensations from following this useless bloody football club are few and far between, but when they do come, they are very rewarding. Zavon Hines, ****ing hell.
rendog2

Post by rendog2 »

Future England legend in the making there. Thank f*** someone noticed in the nick of time and stopped him playing for Jamaica.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

[quote="rare as rockinghorse shat"]Green was good tonight - but could have been more commanding with a couple of balls in.

He pulled off one of the saves of the season and saved a penalty, let one pretty unstoppable goal in....a bit better than 'good' last night. :wink:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

...as i always..the lows that west ham put you through make the highs better than anything that the fans of other clubs, spesh top 4 clubs, can ever understand... the work by parker, the little dinked ball, the forest of white shirts, the movement of zines, the foot change, the desperate arms in the air of freidel, the silence as you think ...has it....has it ...HAS IT as the net goes POOOOOOOOOUUUUUUF...followed by ****ing mayhem ( at least around me...!) tremendous ( hopefully) season changing performance and goal.

well done west ham...i ****ing love you :crest: :raver:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Still buzzing this morning :raver:
EggyBread
Location: Riding in the back-seat of the Roller with Gold & Sullivan!

Post by EggyBread »

Although I hate spoiling a claret and blue tinted specs moment like that....

We still look *****, for long periods in the first half, we couldn't get near them, bad passing and wrong choices, but I'm hoping that was more due to the team taking a hit on morale after Colin went off.

Performance, it seems that every home game, we have a situation of:

0-15 mins - We start really well, with no real end product.
15-45 mins - We pretty much surrender posession to the other team, sometimes this leads to them scoring.
46-60 mins - The opposition are in ascendancy again.
60-90(+4 :lol: ) mins - We batter them senseless.

Spector looked a mess everytime he got the ball, I know he was on his unfavored foot, but ffs he is supposed to be a Professional footballer.

Noble had his best game of the season, but was shattered after 10 minutes of the second half. That's 2 decent games in 11. Jury is still out, I'm afraid.

Faubert seems to have lost all of the confidence he gained in the first few games. Frightened to get forward last night, so we now have someone who can't defend and can't attack..... great!

Zola has no balls, towards the end last night we were crying out for some kind of spark, yet he makes a pointless sub with 2 minutes to go. I can't help thinking what kind of impact Diamanti on for Noble (who was knackered) would have made for 10-15 minutes. Yet he brings on Jimi who apart from one little move on the left touchline didn't do anything. I know it's academic as we won anyway, but it was a very flukey result, which could have been made easier imo.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

My head hurts this morning :lol: :raver:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

For the first time in months, I went to bed with a smile on my face and went out like a light as soon as my head hit the pillow. That was an excellent (and for a change) team performance and Zavon Hines, ****ing hell !! :crest: :raver:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

EggyBread wrote:Although I hate spoiling a claret and blue tinted specs moment like that....

We still look s***e, for long periods in the first half, we couldn't get near them, bad passing and wrong choices, but I'm hoping that was more due to the team taking a hit on morale after Colin went off.

Performance, it seems that every home game, we have a situation of:

0-15 mins - We start really well, with no real end product.
15-45 mins - We pretty much surrender posession to the other team, sometimes this leads to them scoring.
46-60 mins - The opposition are in ascendancy again.
60-90(+4 :lol: ) mins - We batter them senseless.

Spector looked a mess everytime he got the ball, I know he was on his unfavored foot, but ffs he is supposed to be a Professional footballer.

Noble had his best game of the season, but was shattered after 10 minutes of the second half. That's 2 decent games in 11. Jury is still out, I'm afraid.

Faubert seems to have lost all of the confidence he gained in the first few games. Frightened to get forward last night, so we now have someone who can't defend and can't attack..... great!

Zola has no balls, towards the end last night we were crying out for some kind of spark, yet he makes a pointless sub with 2 minutes to go. I can't help thinking what kind of impact Diamanti on for Noble (who was knackered) would have made for 10-15 minutes. Yet he brings on Jimi who apart from one little move on the left touchline didn't do anything. I know it's academic as we won anyway, but it was a very flukey result, which could have been made easier imo.
thats a fair analysis. there was a passage of play after half time, when , just like at sunderland, it was like looking at my son's U15 team ( on a bad day..!) complete and utter inability to hold onto the ball..it wasnt like they were even trying that hard..we just kept surrendering possession, clipping the ball, booting the ball, etc...against a better/hungrier side we'd have been hosed. I dont know whether its confidence or the fact that we are so narrow, or the phase of the moon, but it seems that the players look up, cant see an outlet and, apart from the trademark parker 360 turn, give up/panic and hand the ball back. The players on the bench jiminez/dimante dont offer much in terms of ball retention, and kovac is one of the worst sinners.

SO, please, no more "flair" or "creative" players just for now...please lets get someone in who gets the ball, works the ball and moves the ball, when it comes back, he does the same, again and again.,... :crest:
Zola4ever

Post by Zola4ever »

wohooooooooooooooo were not in the relegation zone anymore :raver:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Green - needs to be more commanding of his area. His performance at corners today reminded me of Shaka at his worst.
Da Costa - a pleasant surprise, did very well, especially considering the physical nature of the Villa forward line.
Parker - excellent.
Franco - ran out of steam but did alright.
Hines - Scared the crap out of their back line at times and fully deserved his goal.

Overall - Villa were probably good for a point but f*** them.

P.S. - Steve Bennett is an absolute clown.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Did Ginge get a decent reception last night?
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Very impressed with Noble today (well second half) thats 2 good games I have seen him have in teh Prem 2009

Parker second half magnificent

Zavon must start
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Happy to eat my words regarding the result. Yes we were a bit dodgy from time to time especially in the first half, and a couple of good saves from Green certainly saved our bacon but a wins a win.

Agree with much of Eggybread's summary.

Hines for me is the shining light from last night, scared them shitless when he had the ball at his feet and run at the defence, and showed great confidence and composure for the goal, shame Diamanti didn't make it on as I though Franco was pretty ineffective second half and Noble was blowing out of his backside after 60 minutes.

Parker MOTM yet again for me, and it looks as if Greena nd Upson may be starting the claw back some confidence. Faubert/Specs weren't terrible but then again I though Villa was pretty poor attacking wise.

Slight worry that both injuries were hamstrings..........problem with warm up or just coincidence, as both seemed to go the first time Ilunga and Cole had a sprint.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain

Post by Ted Fenton »

Puff Daddy wrote:For the first time in months, I went to bed with a smile on my face
So did I - and the wife is an Irons fan.
Big_Russ

Post by Big_Russ »

9:23 pm

You never know, maybe we have been over-reliant on Cole... we could start playing some beautiful football now...
I was half joking at the time, but maybe there is something in this?

We do seem to just lump it at Cole every time when he plays, obviously not his fault and credit to him for doing as well as he does.

However maybe management should look at how much better we played as a team second half last night and consider instructing the players to play that way when Carlton IS playing. We could be awesome if they could sort that out!!

Any word on how long him and rita are out for?

:think:
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

I thought things might get nasty for us this game, we rode our luck a bit but overall we had the best of it IMO. Hines looks superb and his mobility running into the channels makes up for our lack of width. He seems to have a really good natural understanding with Franco as well, their game's really complement each other well, and the goal was a superb quick finish - real poacher's stuff.

If Da Costa was brought in just for the aerial threat of Villa then I think he did well enough to be given another go next time out - we looked a bit more solid at the back with him in there, but still shaky. With a bit of luck Villa could have had a goal or two at set pieces I thought.

When Cole went off I expected to be picking over the bones of another defeat this morning, happy to be proved wrong. The sanctuary of mid table beckons.

One question - do we get a penalty and sending off in every game now?
Last edited by QuintonNimoy on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Phil S wrote:Did Ginge get a decent reception last night?
Yes - in terms of pre-match applause.

What was he carded for? I was queueing for a pint... :D
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

prophet:marginal wrote:What was he carded for? I was queueing for a pint... :D
Whinging about the pen. Bennet started carding a crowd of Villa players and MON had to run on and drag them all away.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

That Aussie Rugby fella was going on about a punch up going down the tunnel at half time :lol: