Stratford 2012 [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support David Sullivan's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Yes
55%
No
21%
Depends
24%

Total votes: 685

hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by hadleighhammer »

Skimming over the first pages, I was against it from the start and a lot of the rationale I and others were shouted down about has unfortunately happened and we are now ****ed for the foreseeable future.

The persistent line for the move was that the OS would attract the best players as its iconic and would massively increase our revenue...then we get Zaza, Tore and Calleri and being told by G&S&B it will only give us an extra c.£10m for transfers and wages per season.

£10m per season - that is what we sold our soul for.
thosewerethedays
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by thosewerethedays »

The thing is, I don't think it would have made the slightest difference if every single West Ham fan had been against the move. GSB would still have gone through with it and we would still have bought our season tickets at the OS. Now whether we buy them next year, or actually do what we have said in the poll and don't renew will be the interesting question. I personally didn't want to move, but upgraded my season ticket to the 1966 seats for a 'comparable' view. At the moment I really don't like the whole match day experience at all. I don't think there's anything Sully can do to 'bring us together' that will make me renew next year.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Went with 'depends' six years ago, hoping that we'd be reasonably close to the pitch with no running track.

Obviously those hopes were in vain.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Thekorean wrote: Technically there is no track.
How do you work that out? The track is there, the stands are a trackwidth away from the pitch, the track is just covered up with a green sheet.
NorthBank86
Location: Halfway up the North Bank, by the right hand post behind the goal
Has liked: 84 likes

Post by NorthBank86 »

the pink palermo wrote:Why the fuss now about a running track ?

The back of the main stands were never going to be any nearer than they are now to the pitch - they weren't going make a 16" pizza into a 10" pizza were they ?

The stadium is the wrong shape for football .Forget ideas of building another running stadium next door , forget ideas about grassing over the running track , it's starightforward - the stands are too far from the pitch all the way around - you'll need binouculars to see the game .

Just build the East stand at the Boleyn , fill in the corners as best we can and close Green Street on matchday .

Had we gone down , only 26,000 would be there for most of next season anyway - where are the extra fans coming from to fill the bowl ?

The only way Stratford would work is by knocking the stadium down and building a brand new football specific stadium , and that is simply not affordable .
Think you called that pretty well.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Pinky bang on the money again
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

ottsands wrote:Image

This is a lovely new addition
An un-nerving prediction in steel of the tangled mess that the whole project has become.
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

Richard WHUFC wrote:I just emailed them this....

Hi there,

Good to see the website encourging feedback and hope Mr Sullivan and Mr Gold are true to their word about the listening to the fans. The 10 point plan all sounded pretty good so we will see how they get on.

As I'm sure you are already aware a major issue for most West Ham supporters is the plans for moving into the Olympic Stadium and particularly the running track and the distance you would be from the pitch. West Ham used to be renowned for having supporters right at the edge of the pitch, which in turn created a cracking atmosphere, the stands are further back now (already too far in my opinion) but this would be nothing when compared to the distances, both at the side and behind the goals, at the Olympic Stadium.

Though the opportunity is a good one, I believe it should be completely on our terms, I feel like we hold all the aces as West Ham moving into the stadium is such an obvious thing to happen, but I am really worried this would be the beginning of the end of West Ham as we know it. I feel we would lose alot of our identity as a club, which is our strong point, not many clubs can compare to West Ham when it comes to character, and it would put off alot of people who have been loyal followers of West Ham for years. I can't see myself wanting to go there.

Tottenham have listened to their supporters with one tiered stands behind the goals and supporters close to the pitch, I hope West Ham do the same and if need be, spend a bit of money on it, if not I fear we could have a half empty (prob sponsored) soul-less bowl in a few years, no matter how cheap the tickets are.

Sorry to go on but just want to express how strongly I feel about this.

Thanks for your time
Kind Regards
Richard
It looks like this is written just a few weeks ago....in truth it was written in 2010....
919er

Post by 919er »

I will be renewing. I thank you.