Stratford 2012 [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support David Sullivan's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Yes
55%
No
21%
Depends
24%

Total votes: 685

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Re: Stratford 2012 [POLL]

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Mods, is there any chance we can create a new poll. Seeing as it looks more likely we'll try and move here.

Running track - yes or no....
bornblowingbubbles

Post by bornblowingbubbles »

Looking through those pictures why can't we do what they've done at the City of Manchester stadium and build a smaller athletics stadium next door?

Running track or no running track, what atmosphere is it we're actually going to lose? The vast majority of the time there hasn't been much atmosphere other than the BML and STBL with a few smaller pockets dotted around the stadium.

I can understand some of the arguments for wanting to stay at the Boleyn but transport links and infrastructure around the ground are rubbish and unable to cope already and would be even worse if we tried to develop the east stand. I'm not sure things would be much better if we built a new stadium from scratch at the Parcelforce site and we don't have the money to do it anyway. The OS will have completely new transport links and infrastructure designed to handle the kind of numbers that would be turning up.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up on the North Bank terrace and have some of my best footballing memories from those days but we can't get stuck in the past, those days have gone, times change and the game has changed completely, it doesn't matter what the stadium is like it's the people that are in it that give the identity and passion to the club, something we're famous for and I don't see why that would change. Do I like the way that football has become a corporate business? No, but we have to face facts, make sure we're competetive and make sure that wherever we go we are still West Ham. Players and manager come and go (even more so these days) it's us the fans that carry the history and passion and as long as we're there that'll never change.
Last edited by bornblowingbubbles on Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

How can anyone be in favour of it now. Not a single mention of the word fan in that article, says it all. We matter the least in all this :thdn:
Mike420

Post by Mike420 »

Does anyone think this is just a case of getting our foot through the door? Once we've modified it, put claret and blue everywhere they wouldn't be able to kick us out if we changed things in the future. They are keeping the practice track which is quite telling. If athletics fails to produce crowds ect then it might see us get rid of it and them perhaps move to practice track?
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

If we move the club loses it's identity in favour of a giant white bowl that we won't even own. :|
False Elysium

Post by False Elysium »

mayor@newham.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... Mayor of Newham's email address.... He is backing/running the "joint bid" to occupy the Olympic Stadium ... could always write to him with your views ... unless somebody has a genuine e-mail address for Sullivan/Gold/Brady ... and not an e-mail address that goes to a public relations officer for either of them
bornblowingbubbles

Post by bornblowingbubbles »

Mike420 wrote:Does anyone think this is just a case of getting our foot through the door? Once we've modified it, put claret and blue everywhere they wouldn't be able to kick us out if we changed things in the future. They are keeping the practice track which is quite telling. If athletics fails to produce crowds ect then it might see us get rid of it and them perhaps move to practice track?

That's exactly what I was thinking reading that article, build a 'practice' track next door and eventually persuade them that it'd be better for them to have all the athletics there as it's more likely to sell-out than trying to fill 60,000 for an athletics meeting.
False Elysium

Post by False Elysium »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Mods, is there any chance we can create a new poll. Seeing as it looks more likely we'll try and move here.

Running track - yes or no....
:thup:

agree totally with this..... the poll as it stands cant be accurate ... im all in favour of moving to the Olympic Stadium..but NOT with an athletics track around the pitch..

Would be interesting to see how many are still in favour of the idea knowing that the track is definitely going to remain
UniS-Hammer

Post by UniS-Hammer »

I don't remember if I voted in this before, but I WAS up for moving. However, I've spent the last 4 years watching my local team in Guildford with a running track around the pitch - and it is ****. I'm not worried about losing 'atmosphere' because, let's face it, there hasn't been much for a while now. What I'm worried about (and I forget where I read this) is the fact that from the top corner to the opposite corner flag is over 200m away!

For me, Running Track = No deal
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Why the fuss now about a running track ?

The back of the main stands were never going to be any nearer than they are now to the pitch - they weren't going make a 16" pizza into a 10" pizza were they ?

The stadium is the wrong shape for football .Forget ideas of building another running stadium next door , forget ideas about grassing over the running track , it's starightforward - the stands are too far from the pitch all the way around - you'll need binouculars to see the game .

Just build the East stand at the Boleyn , fill in the corners as best we can and close Green Street on matchday .

Had we gone down , only 26,000 would be there for most of next season anyway - where are the extra fans coming from to fill the bowl ?

The only way Stratford would work is by knocking the stadium down and building a brand new football specific stadium , and that is simply not affordable .
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Last edited by The Rebirth on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

False Elysium wrote:http://www.whufc.com/articles/20100517/ ... 84_2053629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That submission shows they couoldn't care less about what makes a good stadium for supporters rather than getting bums on seats for daytrippers. Also, by regeneration of the Upton Park area they mean cash in the hands of G&S.

Nice to have West Ham fans running the club for our benefit and not for the money. :|
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hadleighhammer wrote: That submission shows they couoldn't care less about what makes a good stadium for supporters rather than getting bums on seats for daytrippers. Also, by regeneration of the Upton Park area they mean cash in the hands of G&S.

Nice to have West Ham fans running the club for our benefit and not for the money. :|
Perhaps a little harsh .

They'll be sat in the same stands , and I believe them to be sincere that they believe by having a larger ground it will allow us to compete , however misguided that belief may be .

And the cash for G& S angle for flogging the Boleyn is overstated imo .Net of clearence costs etc it will be worth less than £30m .In their world thats half of bugger all .

I just think they've boxed themselves into a corner . They've said it's vital and they are determined to get it .As much as anything I suspect it's a landgrab for a fanbase - by moving into town a bit more they'll stop ( they hope) , the march of Arsenal and Spurs in our direction .

I wouldn't be too snotty about so called daytrippers either . At £50 a go it's an expensive hobby these days as you know .
False Elysium

Post by False Elysium »

But then didnt Sullivan say something about he wanted to reduce price tickets to around £15 so more fans could attend... i fricken hope so... no way id pay £35 + to sit that far away from the pitch... not if i have to buy binoculars too just so i can see whats going on

Its a joke... and not a very funny one , sadly id rather sit in the pub and watch it on the big screen or watch a stream ... rather than be so far away from the action ... due to an effing athletics track ... at least in the pub i know id be able to actually see the game
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by fester »

Yes from me, but ........

How about signing an agreement to lease the stadium with a two-year break clause. Then get planning permission to knock down the Boleyn & rebuild the STB, East and BM stands from scratch. We then may have leverage to get rid of the athletics and have the 60,000 capacity seating closer to the stands. Failing that we either return to The Boleyn (before we've even left) and increase capacity by whatever we can afford and work around phased stand closures or we use 2 years occupancy of the Olympic Stadium (with increased revenues) to do the rebuilding work at the Boleyn and move back in 2014.

I'm sure this has most likely been discussed in this thread. Apologies if so.
ManInTheIronsMask.
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ManInTheIronsMask. »

False Elysium wrote:mayor@newham.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... Mayor of Newham's email address.... He is backing/running the "joint bid" to occupy the Olympic Stadium ... could always write to him with your views ... unless somebody has a genuine e-mail address for Sullivan/Gold/Brady ... and not an e-mail address that goes to a public relations officer for either of them
Gold and Sullivan's public relations officer was found on his living room floor with self-inflicted shotgun wounds about a week ago.
False Elysium

Post by False Elysium »

Well, ive been on David Golds website and the only e-mail contacts are...

Contact David Gold

For more information, interview requests, image requests or corporate enquiries, please contact
Victoria at Pitch PR
Tel: 0207-494-1616
Email: victoria@pitchpr.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or
Giovanna Wallace at giovanna_w@ggi.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or call on 01883-629-629
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by ottsands »

Devils Advocate wrote:Because you also need to provide drainage for the pitch. And if the pitch is at or below the level of the surrounding water table, there's no way the water can drain away.
Build a concrete tank so the pitch is completely independent from the surrounding water table.

Mount the pitch on pillars within the concrete tank, creating a void between the underside of the pitch and the bottom of the tank.

Allow the water to drain from the pitch into the void.

Pump the water out.

I should have been an engineer. 8-)
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Let's hope they don't get it or can't afford the conversion charges, thing is they won't change f**k all just slightly bigger spaces between the seats. They have to count my money out, I'll do the Saturday 3pm games and see how I cope with carrying around binoculars.

Putting in a proposals that keeps the running track is total b*llocks and shows me what sort of fans G&S really are.
Upton Larks

Post by Upton Larks »

please ... please ... please turn the OS into that Nottingham Stadium. It's a similar structure externally, just a much better internal formation.