What did you watch last night?

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Watched the latest series of ' Beck ' [ BBC4 ] - Swedish Detective Series though Martin Beck seems to be taking a bit of a back seat job these days - still enjoyable though . I do like the exchanges with his neighbour at the end of each show .

The Flight Attendant Series 2 - Kaley Cuoco has been a bit of a revelation truth be told , never heard of her previously but she's absolutely brilliant in this murder caper CIA involvement nonsense - recommended , first series especially .

Nordic Murders - think we're on Series 3 now - this is a delightful little series set on the German / Polish border -

Silent Witness - well , be rude not to - bit silly now but worth watching .
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:03 pm :crossed: That's a brilliant story Cuence - made me smile. Well thanks to Pete and yourself for the recommendation and yes, you're spot on they couldn't have ended it any better - it was genuinely perfection - even got to see Mina albeit briefly. Going to invest in a box-set if it's out there - on the beeb they had the last three or four series in their entirety but only sporadic ones from the first few series. I need my fix - just not in a methadone Mick kind of way :)
I've got the dvd set of 1 - 6. All 9 series are on Netflix. There is a dvd of their first live show too. I was lucky enough to see their second show live in Glasgow, brilliant.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Rise of the Footsoldier.

I had only seen this once before around the time it was first shown on telly I'd largely forgotten most of it. I thought it was very enjoyable.
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1188 likes
Total likes: 930 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

As we don't have a separate theatre thread I'll stick this in here.

The Unfriend by Steven Moffat, directed by Mark Gatiss at Chichester's Minnerva Theatre. Starring Amanda Abbington, Reece Shearsmith and Frances Barber the story revolves around a couple who meet a woman on holiday who invites herself to visit them back home and turns out to be a suspected serial killer. Thoroughly enjoyable and full of laughs, it plays out almost like an extended episode of Inside Number 9, highly recommended :newthumb:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:42 am Watched the latest series of ' Beck ' [ BBC4 ] - Swedish Detective Series though Martin Beck seems to be taking a bit of a back seat job these days - still enjoyable though . I do like the exchanges with his neighbour at the end of each show .

The Flight Attendant Series 2 - Kaley Cuoco has been a bit of a revelation truth be told , never heard of her previously but she's absolutely brilliant in this murder caper CIA involvement nonsense - recommended , first series especially .

Nordic Murders - think we're on Series 3 now - this is a delightful little series set on the German / Polish border -

Silent Witness - well , be rude not to - bit silly now but worth watching .
You need to watch the big bang theory if you have never heard of her
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

You definitely don't need to watch the Big Bang Theory.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:55 pm You definitely don't need to watch the Big Bang Theory.
you know, I feel a bit "left out" in that the trailers I saw for that show, never enticed me to watch it. people tell me (in general) you're missing out.

then comes along Young Sheldon. again from the clips, it never really got me into wanting to watch.

but to be fair there's loads of shows like that that never really "got my attention" so to speak.

two and a half men, ditto. and I HAVE actually tried to watch it. a show here and there is all I can manage and I'm not sure my attention was on it 100% of the time either.

I'm sure I've missed out of quite a few "good shows" by not investing the time it might take to "fully understand" them. shows like Cheers, Frasier and to some extent Seinfeld, grabbed me right away without the need of investing a season or two to understand the show.

unfortunately if I can't get into a show in the first episode, sometimes I have tried 3 or 4 goes (see my The Sopranos bit) I really can't be arsed.

Ray Donovan was another. I really enjoyed the show until his dad came into it. then ...nah switched off right away after I think 2 episodes. I couldn't get into the character as much as I like Jon Voigt. I thought he really stopped me dead in my tracks and up the that moment I really enjoyed it.

funny how that happens.

were I Ray I would have offed the old man pronto, as good as Ray was at fixing things, he couldn't fix his dad ?
Whitters
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Whitters »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:04 pm then comes along Young Sheldon. again from the clips, it never really got me into wanting to watch.
I'd never seen the Big Bang Theory although I knew who Sheldon was, but my 11yo daughter suggested we started watching this last week as a family. We're about 8 or 9 episodes in so far (about 20 minutes each) and I'm actually enjoying it, some great characters in there (the sister and the granny are stand outs) as well as some fun cameos from the likes of the recently departed Ray Liotta
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

some things just "grab" me and I think.."I'll check that out" and then some leave me completely cold thinking.."why, just why.."

and that's how I've felt about those shows.
they're not the only ones, there's quite a few that I've not be interested in, or have given them a go and I'm "well I didn't think I was going to like it, and I didn't." maybe it's the negative attitude going in...

STILL GAME

Buntin'

hahahah bloody ha..

Meena. we do have a fox, I saw it last night
Navid. then why didn't you say something ?
Meena. well you were cuddling close and trying to get your hole so I pretended to be asleep..

:crylol: :crylol: :crylol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Watched Smokin Aces. The plot was a mess but it was flashy and entertaining nonetheless.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2384 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

fjthegrey wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:39 am The Leftovers.

It's absolutely superb.
On season 2 now thanks to your steer. :newthumb:

It’s really good (Chris Ecclestone’s hokey accent notwithstanding) but I’m worried it’s not going to have a satisfactory resolve…. :arry:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:26 am On season 2 now thanks to your steer. :newthumb:

It’s really good (Chris Ecclestone’s hokey accent notwithstanding) but I’m worried it’s not going to have a satisfactory resolve…. :arry:
The 'resolve' isn't conventional, for sure.

It is a great show, though, I fully agree.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1594 likes

Post by alf git »

Morocco Mole wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:22 pm Been watching Outer Range on Amazon.

Not gonna begin to try and describe it other than that it’s an off the wall slice of Americana with shades of the Cohen Bros and a sci-fi twist. And Josh Brolin’s in it.

It’s very good. Right up my alley. :newthumb:
I've been watching this as well.
I've enjoyed it a lot. My issue with it is 8 episodes doesn't seem nearly enough. It's like a mid season break rather than the end of the series.
Didn't see the Autumn twist though :shocker:
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2384 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

alf git wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:00 pm I've been watching this as well.
I've enjoyed it a lot. My issue with it is 8 episodes doesn't seem nearly enough. It's like a mid season break rather than the end of the series.
Didn't see the Autumn twist though :shocker:
We said the same chez mole.

They’d better be doing another season.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

The Boys season 3 episode 1.

:shock:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:42 amThe Flight Attendant Series 2 - Kaley Cuoco has been a bit of a revelation truth be told , never heard of her previously but she's absolutely brilliant in this murder caper CIA involvement nonsense
One of the female leads in 'The Big Bang Theory'.
V good in that as well :newthumb:
Samba

Post by Samba »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:04 pmyou know, I feel a bit "left out" in that the trailers I saw for that show, never enticed me to watch it. people tell me (in general) you're missing out.
There's nothing worse than someone saying, "You've got to watch (insert name of show), it's brilliant". It almost always never lives up to that praise.
I need to discover things for myself & most things I don't like at first viewing.
Loved 'TBBT', though.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Whitters wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:22 pm I'd never seen the Big Bang Theory although I knew who Sheldon was, but my 11yo daughter suggested we started watching this last week as a family. We're about 8 or 9 episodes in so far (about 20 minutes each) and I'm actually enjoying it, some great characters in there (the sister and the granny are stand outs) as well as some fun cameos from the likes of the recently departed Ray Liotta
:newthumb:
Gets even better as the series(es) goes on.
I mean, it probably did 'jump the shark' a little bit towards the end of it's life but don't they all to some extent?
Samba

Post by Samba »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:04 pm some things just "grab" me and I think.."I'll check that out" and then some leave me completely cold thinking.."why, just why.."

and that's how I've felt about those shows.
they're not the only ones, there's quite a few that I've not be interested in, or have given them a go and I'm "well I didn't think I was going to like it, and I didn't." maybe it's the negative attitude going in...

STILL GAME

Buntin'

hahahah bloody ha..

Meena. we do have a fox, I saw it last night
Navid. then why didn't you say something ?
Meena. well you were cuddling close and trying to get your hole so I pretended to be asleep..

:crylol: :crylol:
Loved 'Still Game'. :newthumb:
Loved Rab C Nesbit as well but Still Game is at least as good, imo.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

smuts wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:06 pm The Boys season 3 episode 1.

:shock:
I know exactly what part you're thinking about, right now..

:lol: